Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Youtube videos won't play on my eircom broadband! Please help!

• 08-11-2011 7:54pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,312 ✭✭✭✭

Hi everyone,

We just got a new broadband box today (black eircom one) as our old one wasn't working.

Now over the weekend the eircom technician came out and put in a filter on the sky digital wire and also filters on some of our phones (we have 3 so still need to put a filter on the 3rd one). I had been explaining to him how youtube was very slow and wouldn't play videos without stopping or stalling and he said that this was more than likely because there were no filters on the other phonelines or the sky. He ordered us the new box and said that when it came it would have 2 filters in the box and to connect one of these to the other phoneline and it should be better. He also gave us a temporary box so that we would have internet for the weekend.

So fast forward to today and we got the new box like I said but there were no filters first of all in the box and secondly the internet seems way slower!! The youtube videos aren't playing at all now whereas with the temporary box they seemed to be playing fairly ok except for some.

Surely this couldnt just be because we don't have a filter on one phone??

I'm so frustrated at this stage! Any suggestions as to what it might be??

Thanks

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,713 ✭✭✭✭jor el

Filters won't have any effect on the websites you visit. They stop the Broadband from cutting out when using the phone. What the tech told you is nonsense.

Is it just Youtube that's effected? You should do a speed check, and check your line stats. Log onto the modem and check for SNR Margin and Line Attenuation.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,312 ✭✭✭✭leahyl

jor el wrote: »
    Filters won't have any effect on the websites you visit. They stop the Broadband from cutting out when using the phone. What the tech told you is nonsense.

Is it just Youtube that's effected? You should do a speed check, and check your line stats. Log onto the modem and check for SNR Margin and Line Attenuation.

Thanks for your help but the last few lines are just words to me - haven't a clue what you're on about!

Now the modem isn't working at all - was getting a red light so I plugged it out and plugged the temporary one back in and it's not working on my laptop either (but seems to bs working on my iPhone - from which I am typing this) it's so bloody frustrating - nothing ever runs smoothly with me and broadband!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,619 ✭✭✭LaVail

Also make sure you have flash and java etc updated to the latest versions. Seems to me like you have bandwidth issues though :/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,312 ✭✭✭✭leahyl

Problem sorted! I did the simple thing of unplugging modem and plugging back in again and its working again. Then I unplugged the telephone that didnt have the filter (not really used that often anyway) and voila youtube is running perfectly - no stopping or stalling!!:D

Not as complicated as I thought!

Advertisement