Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

licence, permission or gun club clarafication

Options
  • 08-11-2011 7:57pm
    Registered Users Posts: 117 ✭✭

hi all, pretty new to the fourm and the sport but i am thinking of treating myself to a gun for the new year.

anyway i am unclear about the bit on the licence application form:

do i "NEED" to be a member of a gun club ?

or

will just having "PERMISSION" from landowners do on the form ?

sorry if this topic has been here already and thanks in advance for your help and reading.

niall_b73

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 853 ✭✭✭Tawny Owl

niall_b73 wrote: »
    hi all, pretty new to the fourm and the sport but i am thinking of treating myself to a gun for the new year.

anyway i am unclear about the bit on the licence application form:

do i "NEED" to be a member of a gun club ?

or

will just having "PERMISSION" from landowners do on the form ?

sorry if this topic has been here already and thanks in advance for your help and reading.

niall_b73
    Hello Niallb73 well done in getting into the sport its great pass time anyway if you go to the top of the Boards Page it will let you download the application form and will explain all to you you can apply if you have land permission or if you have Membership of a Gun Club so best of luck if you need help filling out the forms we will all help.

;);) Tawny Owl.

• Registered Users Posts: 961 ✭✭✭Longranger

+1 with T.O. welcome to the forum. Don't be afraid to ask any question, no matter how daft it sounds. You will get the best advice, plenty of controversy and laughs galore;) happy hunting and if you're ever in mayo, give me a PM and we'll have a few shots, a few pints and talk bullsh!t Your first gun is your entry to a lifestyle which will never stop enjoying:D

• Registered Users Posts: 117 ✭✭niall_b73

Longranger wrote: »
    +1 with T.O. welcome to the forum. Don't be afraid to ask any question, no matter how daft it sounds. You will get the best advice, plenty of controversy and laughs galore;) happy hunting and if you're ever in mayo, give me a PM and we'll have a few shots, a few pints and talk bullsh!t Your first gun is your entry to a lifestyle which will never stop enjoying:D

thanks mate, i will. only ever been down in mayo doing a spot of fishing on the mask.
    it is all in the pipeline and i am still looking about trying to sus out what is what and looking for the best bargin buys at a cheap price.

niall_b73

• Registered Users Posts: 207 ✭✭Alan 1990

Welcome niall I'm relatively new to the sport also don't be afraid to ask questions you'll get plenty of good advice here as I did. What are you thinking about getting shotgun or rifle?

Alan 1990 wrote: »
    Welcome niall I'm relatively new to the sport also don't be afraid to ask questions you'll get plenty of good advice here as I did. What are you thinking about getting shotgun or rifle?

hi there, so far i am thinking of getting a shotgun.
    currently looking at a "S/H 12G BAIKAL SHOTGUN,DOUBLE TRIGGERS/F/C,WITH EJECTORS,IN NICE TIGHT CONDITION WITH GOOD BARRELS"
    as a starter gun.

niall_b73

• Advertisement

Alan 1990 wrote: »

hi there, so far i am thinking of getting a shotgun.
    currently looking at a "S/H 12G BAIKAL SHOTGUN,DOUBLE TRIGGERS/F/C,WITH EJECTORS,IN NICE TIGHT CONDITION WITH GOOD BARRELS"
    as a starter gun.

niall_b73

Nice one lad don't know if it's been mentioned but if it's your first license your super might decline your application if you don't have any proof of compentency so your better off doing that if you haven't already. Not too expensive either I got mine for 45e. Best of luck with it anyways.
    Alan

ok so i was out and about today and i came across a baikal, single barrel 12g shotgun.
    so as a first gun i decided to purchase it.

with regards to the above post and the "competency" is there any way this can be blagged so to speak without having to do the test.
    what does the test consist of ??

niall_b73

ok so i was out and about today and i came across a baikal, single barrel 12g shotgun.
    so as a first gun i decided to purchase it.

with regards to the above post and the "competency" is there any way this can be blagged so to speak without having to do the test.
    what does the test consist of ??

niall_b73

Nice gun just be sure that a single barrel will be enough for you and you won't go upgrading to a double barrel in 6 months or so, that's the advice I got and it was good advice.

Unless you have previous exprience in using firearms you'll be better off doing it as the super would more than likely reject your application and therefore have to re-submit it with the cert.

For 45e it would really speed up the process for you. The course itself for me took 1 hour and went through firearm safety real common sense stuff but some of it I found really helpfull.

I know sportden in naval do the course for free if you purchase the gun there and they do have a good selection.
    Alan.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,615 ✭✭✭kildare.17hmr

ah go back and change it for a double barrel lad! Do the course it is good information everyone should know and will benefit you and help keep you and others safe

• Registered Users Posts: 1,391 ✭✭✭extremetaz

Your local clay shooting grounds will likely be able to provide your basic safety handling course and competency cert.

No harm to head down to one in any case as it will give you a chance to try out a few different types of shotgun. I reckon you'll regret getting an SB as a first gun. They kick like a mule and you've no follow up. Restricts you to a single trap if you're clay shooting, and means only a single bird in a flush if you're out for game.

• Advertisement

the main reason i got this gun is just to get myself used to firing and to get the basic jist of it.
    i will more than likely be upgrading at a later date and my son who is now 14 (and mad into guns/hunting) hopefully will be joining me in the sport thus under supervision wse the single barrell

i am in leitrim, is there anywhere local to that that does the test

niall_b73

• Registered Users Posts: 3,070 ✭✭✭cavan shooter

hey there and welcome if you contact the NARGC they will give you a contact for someone doing the courses in the area, might also give you an in for a club if thats what your after. PM me and I can give you the name and number of a chap in Cavan. I had a baikal for years so your on the right track..enjoy yourself

• Registered Users Posts: 983 ✭✭✭daveob007

I started off with a 20 guage baikal s/b and it had a fairly hard kick due to its light weight but great gun,do the course and have all the paperwork ready so the application goes through first time,it's a pain when it keeps coming back for silly things.best of luck,you won't regret it

Advertisement