Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

two RIAM grades at one exam?

Options
  • 08-11-2011 8:46pm
    Registered Users Posts: 109 ✭✭

Hi All,
    My daughter is going to fly her Grade 1 piano, we wondered could she prepare and be tested on Grade 2 at the same time? Thinking being the worst she can do is fail. We live rural the examiners seem to only come once a year.

Ta for any thoughts.

PWR

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14 Ford Prefect

PWR wrote: »
    Hi All,
    My daughter is going to fly her Grade 1 piano, we wondered could she prepare and be tested on Grade 2 at the same time? Thinking being the worst she can do is fail. We live rural the examiners seem to only come once a year.

Ta for any thoughts.

PWR

When is the exam? If she is that proficient why didn't the piano teacher just skip grade 1? From my experience many, many years ago (albeit with ABRSM exams) you don't need to do exams in sequence.

If the exam is far enough away and she has time to prepare for the grade 2 exam, I wouldn't imagine it to be a problem. You could always try enquiring via the RIAM themselves. Here are the closing dates for this years exams.

Of course, you should also discuss it with the teacher too. I can understand putting a student in for a grade 1 even if they're going to fly it. As confident and as strong as she might be, at least she'll have time to take in the examination conditions for next time.

Either way, best of luck to her.

• Registered Users Posts: 109 ✭✭PWR

Ta for that, we'll ask the teacher, good advice.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,812 ✭✭✭✭evolving_doors

I suspect any examining board wouldn't refuse your money!
    I reckon best bet is to talk to the teacher ..unless they are leaving it up to you...

I have pupils who will do well in their current grade but I know there are a few who would probably 'pass' if they went for the next grade up..but really the longer I teach the more I realise that confidence has a lot to do with it if they want to keep up the music..

Your daughter might actually be good but bare in mind if she would be happy to be just mediocre in the next grade...
    a good 'banker' for the future grades would be to work ahead on the scales and sight reading now.

Advertisement