Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Kayak choice advice

Options
  • 08-11-2011 9:47pm
    Registered Users Posts: 28

Hi Guys,

First off I'll give my my full details, over the last couple of weeks I have progressed through the beginning ranks of kayaking (yay!). I'm currently now at level 3 proficiency and level 2 instructor, with the intention of further progression. :D

Now, so far I have been using rented gear from the people running the courses (outdoor discovery, etc.). Time has come to make the brave leap and purchase my own gear and boat :) I think all the gear is fairly straightforward, but I need some advice on a boat.

Ideally I would like something that I could shoot weirs on easily, grab the odd surf on a wave (something I only tried twice, loved it both times, I just wish I was better :o) and commit to a full river trip.
    Oh and also I will be doing a good bit of Instructing in the near future, so it would need to be suitable for that too. :cool:

So far I have paddled:

a "long" Perception Dancer - very good in straight lines, that is all

a Pyranha G3 twice found it ok - nothing special.

a Dagger Mamba once - cant really remember what it was like, quite eager to turn as far as I can remember.

a Pyranha Burn - favorite so far, held a straight line good, turned predictably, comfortable to boot!
    So the question to those more experienced paddlers out there, do I fit a generic description to a particular type of boat? If so I would really appreciate any guidence you may have :)

By the way I'm about 179cm and 78kg (or 5' 11'' and 12st. 4lb to those who are still non-metric :p)

Thanks in advance!
    (apologies for the length of the post =P)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,222 ✭✭✭✭MadYaker

How did you get this far without buying any gear???

Don't know anything about perception boats but most people say they are old and not much good. The G3 is also an old model, and its massive, you are the same size as me and I would not be comfortable paddling it on rivers, its just too big. The Pyranha burn is a great boat, I've paddled the small and medium sizes a lot and I like it.

At the moment I own a Wavesport Habitat 74. I love it, I've paddled it on a good few different rivers, it handles really nicely and has really comfortable outfitting. I've done a lot of instructing in it on flat and moving water and its great for that too, I'm very comfortable sitting in it for long periods of time and theres loads of storage space. Pretty much the same as a medium burn really. So if it were me choosing from the 4 you listed Id go with the burn.

• Registered Users Posts: 28 _toiletduck_

:o
    I know renting gear all the time was a bit of a pain but it was included in the price of the course a lot of the time (extra sometimes) so it wasn't really an issue.

Now it is :p as I want to start doing rivertips with a club, etc.

Yeah I dont really know about age of boats or different models but google images shows that your Habitat is along the lines of a Mamba or Burn if I'm not mistaken?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 132 ✭✭nookie

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,222 ✭✭✭✭MadYaker

:o
    I know renting gear all the time was a bit of a pain but it was included in the price of the course a lot of the time (extra sometimes) so it wasn't really an issue.

Now it is :p as I want to start doing rivertips with a club, etc.

Yeah I dont really know about age of boats or different models but google images shows that your Habitat is along the lines of a Mamba or Burn if I'm not mistaken?

Yup they are all creek boats I think. I have a playboat as well which I use for surfing/holes so I wasn't really concerned about that side of paddling when I bought my habitat. Nookie gave some good advice too, especially about trying out lots of different boats before yo buy to see which one you like best.

I appreciate those words of wisdom Nookie, its a fair point to try some other boats first.
    Funnily enough I paddled a Dagger G Ride in the pool where I work today :cool:, its similar to some of the short boats you mentioned, such as the Jackson Fun.
    Its really turny, as in its always wanting to turn, I'm not sure if I want to go that extreme, is there some middle ground between these two types of boat?
    Sorry for what might appeal to be a blatantly stupid question. :o

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 132 ✭✭nookie

This post has been deleted.

Those boats look grand Nookie, they kinda resemble a squashed Pyranha Burn :p as in they look flatter and maybe a tad shorter.
    I think I might see if I could get a paddle in something like that before I make a decision. Cheers guys!

• Registered Users Posts: 413 ✭✭obriendj

Hi everyone,
    I am also looking for some kayak advice. I am not in the same league as the OP but wondering if anyone can help.

I have only been kayaking a short time but really enjoying it. The club i am in have some boats Pyranha 235s and G3s 275. i find the G3s too large and cant even fit in to the 235s. I am 6 foot 2 (188cm) and about 13.5 stone. (86kg)

If i was to look at boats, is there one to look out for, that would be mid size but still a decent all round river kayak.

Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 4,621 ✭✭✭yomchi

obriendj wrote: »
    Hi everyone,
    I am also looking for some kayak advice. I am not in the same league as the OP but wondering if anyone can help.

I have only been kayaking a short time but really enjoying it. The club i am in have some boats Pyranha 235s and G3s 275. i find the G3s too large and cant even fit in to the 235s. I am 6 foot 2 (188cm) and about 13.5 stone. (86kg)

If i was to look at boats, is there one to look out for, that would be mid size but still a decent all round river kayak.

Thanks

Im roughly the same weight as you and the same height, If you like Pyranha boats then you would be looking at a large Burn or a medium Karnali. Both are great river boats, depending on what rivers your running. The Burn is more edgy than the Karnali making the Karnali better for creeks etc.
    I have a Karnali now and I'm really enjoying it, it makes great lines and is easy to roll.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 157 ✭✭pmccormack

This would suit you http://www.irishfreestyle.com/node/7737 and at a good price. Im no the Paddy selling it.

Cheers
    Paddy
    www.irishcanoekayak.com

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8 orlagh

obriendj wrote: »
    Hi everyone,

Thanks

I think you should order a large burn ASAP :)

Advertisement