Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Monster rain coming?

Options
  • 08-11-2011 10:10pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 7,941 ✭✭✭

http://www.herald.ie/lifestyle/health-beauty/monster-rain-is-on-the-way-2928153.html

DUBLIN is set for more flood havoc with the arrival of further 'Monster Rain', it's revealed today.

The city council warned that its flood defences cannot cope with torrential rainstorms and flash flooding.

Council officials said incidents of Monster Rain are on the increase in Europe and Dublin's 200-year-old drainage system can't defend us.

Just great between that and the snow meant to come Ireland is in huge trouble.
    If the forecast is correct the road that are falling apart and not being fixed are going to be worse.

I have been looking at downed trees and holes in the roads and walls down since the flood has gone and still not cleared up.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,725 ✭✭✭charlemont

You would think at this stage that we Irish would be well able to handle rain and actually use it for our benefit but No, We still rely on the drainage the British built...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,548 ✭✭✭Harps

What a pathetic article, revealed by who? When? The quoted figured from the last event are well off as well

No sign of anything major whatsoever over the coming week

• Registered Users Posts: 1,011 ✭✭✭Vego

still come the first day of sun in the summer ... water shortages ....old drains, old sewrage system, old water pipes etc etc ....where are the taxes going

• Registered Users Posts: 60 ✭✭weathermaiden

Well if it says so in the Herald, it must be true... :cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 902 ✭✭✭JMSE

Theres lots of resurfacing going on all around the country and in the capital, day work, night work, I see it all as I drive all week long.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,017 ✭✭✭Tom Cruises Left Nut

What a misquote from the paper ! This is actually what was said, nothing about more on the way :rolleyes:

The floods that hit Dublin and Wicklow resulted from 'monster rain' a phenomenon that is increasing in Europe, according to city council officials.
    A council meeting heard this evening that much of Dublin's drainage infrastructure is 200 years old and could not cope with the amount of rain that fell.
    Council executive manager Tom Leahy said further investment and planning controls will be required.
    The use of porous surfaces on roads and driveways may be required in future developments.
    He said that €120m had been spent on flood works in the city area over the past ten years and where works had been carried out such as the Liffey, Tolka and upper reaches of the Dodder, they held the water.
    Mr Leahy also said there is no national flood warning system in this country.
    Met Éireann had predicted between 40mm-70 mm of water over 24 hours, which was a level that had caused only localised flooding on 1 October.
    There had been a severe weather alert on Sunday but he said these are issued every two weeks on average.
    The city council said in the event over 100mm of rain fell in just a few hours.
    The fire brigade received 774 emergency calls, while the drainage department received over 600. "Every switchboard was jammed" he said.
    Defending the council's response, he said it was physically impossible to deliver sandbags to every house in an emergency.
    He admitted that there had been a "malfunction" with the lock of floodgates on the Dodder and the fire brigade had to break padlocks to close them.
    Meanwhile, City Manager John Tierney warned that funding for the Clontarf flood defences will be lost if a contract is not signed by the end of the year.
    This evening councillors agreed to a further period of public consultation on proposals to lower the planned defences by around 45cm (1.5ft) on average.
    Mr Leahy said most of the barriers consisted of grass mounds with walls only being used at four carparks.
    He said only 400m of the 3,000m involved would obscure the sea view.
    A final decision on the works estimated to cost nearly €10m will be made at the council's December meeting.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,941 ✭✭✭caseyann

t|nt|n wrote: »
    What a misquote from the paper ! This is actually what was said, nothing about more on the way :rolleyes:

That is odd i read the same on front of newspaper the one i posted above.
    So no truth in it then?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,068 ✭✭✭Iancar29

I think we should all send an complaint email with all our signatures... Im actually SICK of their mis reports to this stage!!!!

ANyone agree?

• Registered Users Posts: 522 ✭✭✭Conor30

I think the Herald just meant that Ireland and the Dublin area in particular could potentially be in for more severe flooding, as monster rainstorms could possibly be on the increase as we go into the future...and that, were that to happen, our flood defences and drainage systems would need to be updated.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,782 ✭✭✭Joe Public

The incidences of "Monster Rain" are on the increase so there's a good chance they are right. No harm in them trying their hand at a bit of long range forecasting.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,017 ✭✭✭Tom Cruises Left Nut

Iancar29 wrote: »
    I think we should all send an complaint email with all our signatures... Im actually SICK of their mis reports to this stage!!!!

ANyone agree?

Im with you on this. It is like they skimmed the article, took what they wanted and published it

Absolutely shocking

• Registered Users Posts: 383 ✭✭piskins72

they were talking about this yesterday morning on Colm Hayes's program on 2FM, Evelyn Cusack was on from ME and said there is no such meteorological term as monster rain.

piskins72 wrote: »
    they were talking about this yesterday morning on Colm Hayes's program on 2FM, Evelyn Cusack was on from ME and said there is no such meteorological term as monster rain.

There's no such meteorological term as "soft day" either and we get lots of them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,550 ✭✭✭Min

The problem in Dublin is more and more land was used for housing, more concrete surfaces, more solid surfaces, more roads, more motorways, less areas for the rain to drain into the ground.

The Wicklow mountains have been there for millions of years, all that has changed is the size of the urban sprawl of Dublin.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,068 ✭✭✭Iancar29

Min wrote: »
    The problem in Dublin is more and more land was used for housing, more concrete surfaces, more solid surfaces, more roads, more motorways, less areas for the rain to drain into the ground.

The Wicklow mountains have been there for millions of years, all that has changed is the size of the urban sprawl of Dublin.

Very good point!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,462 ✭✭✭red menace

It would be no harm if we could start replacing concrete drives and carparks with pervious concrete
    Give the water somewhere to escape

Maybe a time machine to go back a few years and get some proper storm water infrastructure

R&D on pervious concrete in freeze/thaw environments is ongoing. It's good in frost free warmer climates.

Yep have read some promising case studies online hopefully we get decent freeze thaw results
    It seems to handle consecutive freezing days well at least

• Registered Users Posts: 251 ✭✭dbyrne

would this not also work in reverse? Sorry I havnt looked up the science behined it but if the ground becomes saturated would the water not come back up through the concrete? Looks promising and hopefully it will work in the real world after the testing is all done.

dbyrne wrote: »
    would this not also work in reverse? Sorry I havnt looked up the science behined it but if the ground becomes saturated would the water not come back up through the concrete? Looks promising and hopefully it will work in the real world after the testing is all done.

If the water table rises that far it's going to come up somewhere anyway
    The real advantage of it is that it gives back some of the natural drainage taken away by developments

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,024 ✭✭✭shannon_tek

Ireland is in huge trouble.

Think you mean Dublin. In that case im going moving back home to the hills :D

Advertisement