Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Trading in for PROFIT

Options
  • 08-11-2011 11:06pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,301 ✭✭✭

heyas,

is it just me, or am I missing something

gamestop say that if you trade in 3 games on a list of 500 , you get a new release game for €3

so does that mean i could buy 3 games off that list on ebay for dirt cheap (say €10 max for all 3 games together), then get a new release such as battlefield 3 for €3 + 3 games totaling €13 euro max?
    http://www.gamestop.ie/500titlestradein#ps3

then i could sell battlefield 3 again, on ebay for around 40, or better yet, trade it into a different shop who will give me €30 cash for it

another deal is one that smyths are offering,
    "cash for preowned games"
    find deals where you get games cheaper than what smyths would offer, then sell them back to smyths

what I'm saying is, if you shop around for good deals on preowned games, you can trade them in for profit,

seriously, this seems ingenious to me, so whats the big catch that I'm missing?

:/

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 83,333 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

this sounds like some other thread from earlier in the year.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,301 ✭✭✭The One Who Knocks

link please?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,115 ✭✭✭Completionist

Theres no catch, it just takes time.

• Registered Users Posts: 779 ✭✭✭papajimsmooth

this time next year we'll be millionaires

• Registered Users Posts: 655 ✭✭✭marvsins

Ya i think it is just you and you are missing something :) Have u looked at the list of games, good luck finding 3 for €10

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,332 ✭✭✭valleyoftheunos

Gamestop ran a similar promotion last year which and a number of people took great advantage of it (fairly) and made a profit on a number of games. since then they have tightened up their Ts&Cs and the list of games they will accept has become much stricter making it neigh on impossible to turn a profit on them.

• Registered Users Posts: 35,003 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

Gamestop ran a similar promotion last year which and a number of people took great advantage of it (fairly) and made a profit on a number of games. since then they have tightened up their Ts&Cs and the list of games they will accept has become much stricter making it neigh on impossible to turn a profit on them.

I think I remember reading about a gamestop employee getting pissy at someone reffering to them as a 'trader'?

Kind of funny when they make an absolute mint of second hand games themselves.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,870 ✭✭✭Grumpypants

Step one steal underpants
    Step two ???
    Step 3 Profit.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,689 Mod ✭✭✭✭stevenmu

I have't done the sums, but I'm pretty sure if you worked out how much you could make and how long it would take, you'd be far better off with an actual job.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,061 ✭✭✭PickledLime

My local Gamestop, Xtravision and HMV are all within a 2 minute walk of each other, and it's not uncommon for one of them to have a game on special offer that another shop is still paying big money for.

Shop around and all that ;)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13,126 ✭✭✭✭calex71

was in hmv on henry st the other day and there was a girl with a smyths top on going around with a notepad, so if they can do it so can you OP :D

• Registered Users Posts: 6,911 ✭✭✭SeantheMan

Or you could go to FAS or monster.ie and get a job....you can earn money that way too :P

when i said profit I didn't necessarily mean millions, a few hundred on the side maybe,

and as for a job, I'm doing my leaving, no time for that lol

this just seems like a nice way to make a few bucks in my spare time

cya

• Registered Users Posts: 12,013 ✭✭✭✭jaykhunter

I'd tend to think that the amount of time spent wouldn't be worth the money/effort. try it out anyway and let us know how u get on.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 lfcman

if I want a new xbox game from this deal do I have to trade in 3 xbox games or can I trade in games from different consoles

just a quick update,

I'm halfway through checking out the top 500 trade in (ps3) section
    already I've found 10 games which I can get from between €5-€10 on ebay or somewhere else

So I'm talking roughly €15 profit per trade in (+/- €5)

It does seem like a lot of work, but think about it
    the hardest part is compiling the list of profitable games
    after that , its just a matter of stocking up on them,

one big bonus is that I get to play the games before I trade them in

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,332 ✭✭✭valleyoftheunos

You need to be careful about how long the offer runs and whether the terms say they can vary which games they'll accept and if they can end the offer early. If I were you I would move fast or run the risk of ending up with a lot of games you don't want.

You need to be careful about how long the offer runs and whether the terms say they can vary which games they'll accept and if they can end the offer early. If I were you I would move fast or run the risk of ending up with a lot of games you don't want.

nah don't worry about the offer

gamestop have had this offer for years
    it doesnt matter what "new release" i get, because I'll be selling it anyway
    the only thing that changes is the top 500 list, but not that regularly

the only thing I'd be worried about is the fact that they might not accept my trades, (end up accusing me of being a game trader lol)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,835 ✭✭✭✭cloud493

I did the offer again this week for Batman, only cost me 30 brand new. Lovely :D

cloud493 wrote: »
    I did the offer again this week for Batman, only cost me 30 brand new. Lovely :D

wait 30 or 3?

Only 20 off?

u traded in 3 games on the top 500 list right?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 11,835 ✭✭✭✭cloud493

Jamez735 wrote: »
    wait 30 or 3?

Only 20 off?

u traded in 3 games on the top 500 list right?

Traded in 3 games on the list, they cost me 27. 3 for Batman, total was 30.

Advertisement