Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Locking threads - new approach?

Options
  • 08-11-2011 11:14pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 37,214 ✭✭✭✭

Hi,

I've noticed in recent times that "celeb" discussions are often closed in After Hours with a note by the mod to take it to the Celeb/Music/whatever forum.
    Could the thread perhaps be moved to what's deemed the appropriate forum? Or merged with a thread already there? Because sometimes a good discussion gets stopped dead by these locks.
    Post edited by Shield on

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,584 CMod ✭✭✭✭Steve

The problem with that has always been that when the thread gets moved from AH, the posters follow and continue to post AH style which is more than likely not going to be appreciated in the target forum :).

• Registered Users Posts: 31,859 ✭✭✭✭Sharpshooter

Dudess wrote: »
    Hi,

I've noticed in recent times that "celeb" discussions are often closed in After Hours with a note by the mod to take it to the Celeb/Music/whatever forum.

I haven't seen that lately, but if it does happen it's because it is caught early and can be closed before users get too involved.

Could the thread perhaps be moved to what's deemed the appropriate forum? Or merged with a thread already there? Because sometimes a good discussion gets stopped dead by these locks.

There is no way a thread could be moved from AHs to say Reality TV/celeb/music without the users involved following on and posting in AHs style, which is not welcome understandably in those forums.

It would involve locking the thread, removing AHs posts unlocking and moving to a forum that possibly already has a thread on that topic.

What did you do in this situation, when you modded AHs?

• Registered Users Posts: 83,168 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

What about locking the thread and then just giving it to celebs; give the celeb mods the option to keep it or keep it locked.

• Registered Users Posts: 31,859 ✭✭✭✭Sharpshooter

Overheal wrote: »
    What about locking the thread and then just giving it to celebs;

It will be ridden with AHs posts within a small time frame due to the high volume of posters in AHs.

Overheal wrote: »
    give the celeb mods the option to keep it or keep it locked.

As I said before.
    It would involve locking the thread, removing AHs posts unlocking and moving to a forum that possibly already has a thread on that topic.

AHs mods are busy enough without having to search for other threads in the above mentioned forums, so a lock and a redirect will be given if caught early enough.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,468 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

But then what if people actually want to discuss celebs in an AH style, whatever that is (I've never been in the celebs forum but I can't imagine anyone takes that sort of thing seriously)? Is that quite simply not allowed any more?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,915 ✭✭✭MungBean

But then what if people actually want to discuss celebs in an AH style, whatever that is (I've never been in the celebs forum but I can't imagine anyone takes that sort of thing seriously)? Is that quite simply not allowed any more?

A big reason I think that those conversations stop is precisely because people wanted to discuss it AH style to begin with and not be banned for saying "He's a talentless twat" or some such which I'd presume isnt tolerated in the celeb forum seeing as AH style posts aint welcome.

Perhaps a celeb sub forum where the moved AH threads could spill into with the discussion continuing in that style ?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,339 ✭✭✭✭LoLth

MungBean wrote: »

Perhaps a celeb sub forum where the moved AH threads could spill into with the discussion continuing in that style ?

creation of a sub-forum to allow that type of discussion might be seen as an implied approval of abusive posts. "no, you cannot abuse celebs and call them names. Unless you post in this special section we've made just for you"... technically that section already exists, its called "not boards". I dont think I, for one, would be very comfortable accomodating and encouraging abusive behaviour by providing a platform for it (my personal opinion, not necessarily with my admin hat on). I understand the need to cater for users but I think we should draw the line somewhere as to exactly how far those allowances will go.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,468 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

Hang on - AH doesn't allow abuse of posters or real people any more than any other forum so that whole point is moot.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,252 ✭✭✭✭stovelid

RIP

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 35,943 Mod ✭✭✭✭dr.bollocko

Celebrity bash threads are not welcome in AH.

Nor is that Bieber fella.

Celebrity threads "OMG Kate moss's new handbag" or whatever often get moved over to celebs and showbiz. At least I have done this in the past... If a thread is too AHified, I'd either leave it or delete the BS and move it anyway.

• Advertisement

LoLth wrote: »
    creation of a sub-forum to allow that type of discussion might be seen as an implied approval of abusive posts. "no, you cannot abuse celebs and call them names. Unless you post in this special section we've made just for you"... technically that section already exists, its called "not boards". I dont think I, for one, would be very comfortable accomodating and encouraging abusive behaviour by providing a platform for it (my personal opinion, not necessarily with my admin hat on). I understand the need to cater for users but I think we should draw the line somewhere as to exactly how far those allowances will go.

Its accommodated and encouraged in the politics cafe when mocking, insulting and abusing people of differing views. Thats considered ok so whats the big jump to replacing "politics" with "celebrity" and allowing the same thing to happen with a different topic ?

Just to clarify, I'm not advocating a sub forum to be created for the sole purpose of abusing people or encouraging hatred. Just one that isnt as strict as the normal one in dealing with people discussing things in a more "AH" style way as the Politics Café seems to be.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37,214 ✭✭✭✭Dudess

Whoa... where did I say I think we should be allowed abuse celebrities? Just a discussion, that's all - I don't think it's always fair to lock it all of a sudden, when it has a good flow going. HL, you might not have seen it happening recently, but I can think of it twice in recent days.
    If the moderator deems it really unsuitable for AH (what's the criteria though? I know it's not always easy to be consistent, but threads featuring well known or well knownish individuals are a feature of AH, so why sometimes but not always) then what about a redirect? A mod of the forum it's sent to can take it from there.
    "AH-ified" doesn't always mean "muppet-ified" either - plenty of great styles of debate therein that you wouldn't really get in other forums.
    Hot Lips wrote: »
    What did you do in this situation, when you modded AHs?
    Redirected the thread. Not just saying it - I genuinely did. I will concede that AH has gotten busier since than though, granted.
    Bingo. To use the oft repeated mantra, AH is the pub, where pretty much anything is discussed.
    Celebrity threads "OMG Kate moss's new handbag" or whatever
    :eek:
    She has a new handbag?!!

Seriously though, that's not the type of thread I mean. :)

Whoa... where did I say I think we should be allowed abuse celebrities? Just a discussion, that's all - I don't think it's always fair to lock it all of a sudden, when it has a good flow going.

I'm not saying abuse should be allowed, but you know AH and you know the posts that are tolerated in AH. You also know that if a thread starts in AH and develops a discussion then is moved it will draw that type of posting into the other forum as people have said and which other mods dont want.

On the other hand you want the discussion to continue so dont want it just locked.

I'm not advocating abusing people just the tolerance of certain frank styles of posting. And if not wanted in the forum by the mods of that forum then perhaps a sub forum to allow a certain exposure to AH without infecting the forum as it were.

Thats if your point was directed at me which I'll assume it was seeing as my "yer mans a talentless twat" thing seemed to have generated the whole abuse argument. Which really wasnt my intent, I just just trying to convey the frankness of an AH poster that mods dont want dragged into their forums with moved threads. And something which Politics seems to have over other forums, an AH sub forum of its own.

EDIT: Having reviewed the celebrity forum I dont understand the position of locking threads to stop AH type posts crossing over. One of the top threads is this, a four year old thread dedicated to insulting "hated" celebrities.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37,214 ✭✭✭✭Dudess

I wasn't directing that question to you, MungBean. :)

I wasn't directing that question to you, MungBean. :)

Just ignore all that so :o

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,832 ✭✭✭✭Blatter

How about every time a mod moves a thread to the celeb/TV etc. forum, they just leave a simple mod note;

**This has been moved to the Celeb forum. This is not AH. You are now subject to the rules contained within the celeb forum charter. Please read the charter before posting**

Locking threads because they are not suitable to AH is not the way forward, and it does annoy me when I see it happen.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,875 ✭✭✭✭MugMugs

Hi,

It can be beneficial too though. Example, poster complains about a car dealer ripping him / her off. It gets moved to Motors who have to deal with "blast him with pi*s" which is funny but not really Motors style and can incur bans etc.... lock the threads and redirect to the appropriate forum..... unless its Bieber.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,692 ✭✭✭Dublin_Gunner

I just posted a new thread in AH there too, and the mod posted 'this is not twitter' and locked it.

WTF?

Seriously some mods are going on power buzzes. There was nothing in my thread that went outside the charter for AH.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,310 CMod ✭✭✭✭coffee_cake

I just posted a new thread in AH there too, and the mod posted 'this is not twitter' and locked it.

WTF?

Seriously some mods are going on power buzzes. There was nothing in my thread that went outside the charter for AH.

You really think "lol i saw a football team in the pub" is a good thread?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,692 ✭✭✭Dublin_Gunner

bluewolf wrote: »
    You really think "lol i saw a football team in the pub" is a good thread?

Your opinion doesn't matter. Ah charter describes the forum as the place you'd talk about stuff like you would in the pub.

Whether YOU think it's a 'good' thread in your own opinion doesn't matter. If you don't like it don't post.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,473 ✭✭✭✭Super-Rush

WTF?

Ok since you couldn't wait for me to reply to your pm, i guess we have to do it here.

If you read the charter then you would have seen this.
    There are a huge amount of forums on boards.ie. Often it can be difficult to locate the one you are looking for. If you need help please ask in newbies and FAQ.
    If you post a thread in After Hours that is more suited to another forum it will either be locked or moved to the correct forum. If you are unsure if a topic is suitable for After Hours please send a private message to any of the moderators.

For example:

Seeing a few people having a drink is not worthy of a thread in AH, just like me seeing a car drive past my house isn't either.

Tbh i didn't think that it was worthy of a thread anywhere on boards. Thats why i directed you to Twitter.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,584 CMod ✭✭✭✭Steve

Thats why i directed you to Twitter.
    Twitter?

Why not Facebook?

Why not some other social media venting outlet?

You're being totally un-impartial there and verging on spamming for twitter and should be de-modded forthwith.

(:D)

• Registered Users Posts: 11,647 ✭✭✭✭El Weirdo

Ok since you couldn't wait for me to reply to your pm, i guess we have to do it here.

If you read the charter then you would have seen this.

Seeing a few people having a drink is not worthy of a thread in AH, just like me seeing a car drive past my house isn't either.

Tbh i didn't think that it was worthy of a thread anywhere on boards. Thats why i directed you to Twitter.
    Balls to the rest of that shite... What kind of car was it?

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,893 Mod ✭✭✭✭Insect Overlord

11493534.jpg

:pac:

Advertisement