Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Replacement euro cylinder

• 08-11-2011 11:16pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 393 ✭✭

The cylinder in my apartment door has worn out. It's a euro cylinder with an internal thumbturn. I'm guessing it's the original lock which is about 20 years old.

I purchased a replacement which is very close in size. The old cylinder is 68mm long and the new cylinder is 70mm long. The new cylinder's central threaded mounting hole is offset about 2-3mm towards the outside of the door meaning the new cylinder will sit slightly further outside the door.

However, the new cylinder jams when attempting to lock the door. Looking at the old and new cylinders it looks like the cams are slightly different sizes with the new cylinder being slightly larger.

Any idea as to the issue here?

On a related note I tried to remove the entire lock from the door to examine the problem. The problem is that there is no clear way to remove the handles. I removed the cosmetic facing plates on the inside and outside of the door but there are no screws on the handles to remove them and the connecting bar through the door and lock. The outside handle looks to have a brass pin inserted as per the attached photo.

Thanks.

180790.JPG

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 393 ✭✭Quiet you

That brass pin is called a grub screw. It tightens onto the spindle that connects your handles to your lock. A small allen key will let you loosen it.

As far as the rest of your issues goes, I can't say without seeing it but I'd imagine if it's a difference of only a couple of millimeters filing down the lock or cam may work.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 393 ✭✭-K2-

Quiet you wrote: »
    That brass pin is called a grub screw. It tightens onto the spindle that connects your handles to your lock. A small allen key will let you loosen it.

Thanks for the suggestion, but the pin is not a grub screw: it's completely flat so I can't see any way of turning it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 393 ✭✭-K2-

So, the brass pin on the handle is spring loaded: I pushed it in and the handle disengaged.

The main issue was that the cam on the cylinder was too wide at the top and was jamming in the receiver. 2 mins of filling off the corners fixed it.

Advertisement