Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Christmas shopping Dundalk v Newry? - Mod Note Post #46

Options
  • 08-11-2011 11:17pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 923 ✭✭✭

Where will you be doing your Christmas shopping this year Dundalk or Newry?
    With the stronger sterling and weaker Euro the price differential doesn't seem as good this year as in previous ones.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,097 ✭✭✭mada999

wait till the budget and see?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 456 ✭✭Derfil

Probably Newry again.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,316 ✭✭✭✭amacachi

Amazon.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 923 ✭✭✭Johnny Foreigner

I just bought a 3KW Delonghi oil heater from Argos in Newry, 23 Euro cheaper than in Argos Dundalk. So there are still savings to be had on bigger purchases or bulk buying. I find the prices in Penney's v Primark negligible though.

• Registered Users Posts: 371 ✭✭southlouth type

Drogheda .

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,011 ✭✭✭Vego

not much difference anymore ...as mentioned earlier wait for the budget and see then

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

Simply because we need to keep money in the country and jobs are vital; I'll be buying all at home for Christmas this year, including the upgrade to a digital TV or 3.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7 vvvooo

Those who get paid in the republic should spend their money in the republic. The government does not make it easy for shops here with higher vat, higher electricity, higher rates, higher vrt etc but I support my own 26 county economy / jobs here.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,875 ✭✭✭✭MugMugs

vvvooo wrote: »
    Those who get paid in the republic should spend their money in the republic. The government does not make it easy for shops here with higher vat, higher electricity, higher rates, higher vrt etc but I support my own 26 county economy / jobs here.

I support the ability to be able to sustain myself as things stand. If the South want my money then make it affordable for me to shop south. Ps- wouldn't go near Newry. Most expensive Sainsbury outlet in the UK.... Which is quite funny.....

With the 3% higher VAT in the Republic than the UK, I will be doing all my Christmas shopping in Newry. Its true Sainsbury's is expensive, but the other major retailers like Argos are significantly cheaper on electrical items. I saved 50 Euro on a laptop and digital camera alone. I would love to support the Republics economy, but the price differential is too great.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 386 ✭✭280special

With the 3% higher VAT in the Republic than the UK, I will be doing all my Christmas shopping in Newry. Its true Sainsbury's is expensive, but the other major retailers like Argos are significantly cheaper on electrical items. I saved 50 Euro on a laptop and digital camera alone. I would love to support the Republics economy, but the price differential is too great.

Spend another 15/20 mins in the motorway and go to Tesco's in Banbridge !

It is a scandal in these times that we are forced to go north for our shoppingand an even bigger scandal that multi-nationals are allowed to charge so much more here for the same goods. I posted a comparison of prices , which while not comprehensive enough gives a good idea of what the reality is. http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=75566075

But its not even that, I recently went into a few shops in the northeast and to be honest the level of service was crap, much the same as it has been since that flaming tiger arrived in town ! Their were some exceptions but especially in the larger stores it was a case of rudeness, ignorance and look after yourself !

• Registered Users Posts: 6,219 ✭✭✭hellboy99

There is talk now that the UK may drop their VAT rate.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,974 ✭✭✭gipi

Even though it looks likely that there'll be a VAT increase in next month's budget, it's unlikely to be implemented before Christmas, so there'll be no need to head northwards just to beat VAT (whatever about other reasons for shopping there - price, choice, etc).

What happens after new year might be a different story!!

280special wrote: »
    Spend another 15/20 mins in the motorway and go to Tesco's in Banbridge !

It is a scandal in these times that we are forced to go north for our shoppingand an even bigger scandal that multi-nationals are allowed to charge so much more here for the same goods. I posted a comparison of prices , which while not comprehensive enough gives a good idea of what the reality is. http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=75566075

But its not even that, I recently went into a few shops in the northeast and to be honest the level of service was crap, much the same as it has been since that flaming tiger arrived in town ! Their were some exceptions but especially in the larger stores it was a case of rudeness, ignorance and look after yourself !

I could not agree with you more regarding poor customer service.
    I think the reason may be poor pay as many retail staff in the North are on the UK minimum wage of £6.08 (7.10 Euro) per hour. They are just not motivated on that low wage. I was shocked to hear the staff in one store openly swearing on the shop floor with customers around, in front of the store manager! (He did nothing about it).

hellboy99 wrote: »
    There is talk now that the UK may drop their VAT rate.

I highly doubt that. While obviously we'd all love lower taxes the UK tried lowering their VAT to 15% for a while and as soon as figures were available they reversed it and put it back to 17.5% then up to 20%.

You and I both know that what stemmed the flow of shoppers to the north was border towns raising prices, a nearly 10% change in the value of sterling and a roughly 10% differential in inflation between the UK and Ireland over the last few years. A percent or two difference in VAT will make little difference.

I could not agree with you more regarding poor customer service.
    I think the reason may be poor pay as many retail staff in the North are on the UK minimum wage of £6.08 (7.10 Euro) per hour. They are just not motivated on that low wage. I was shocked to hear the staff in one store openly swearing on the shop floor with customers around, in front of the store manager! (He did nothing about it).

When referring to the North-east I was referring to that area within the ROI !

Yes I have come across crap service up north, some times down to the sight of a ROI number plate on my car !!! I have even been told that as i am from outside Northern Ireland that I have no rights to complain !!

But when it comes to downright rudeness, lack of customer care and a " i dont give a fcuk" attitude it is hard to beat some of the larger stores down this side of the border..

To give you an example, I was with a friend when he had occasion to complain to a manager about the fact that the manager had spent quite some time chatting to some of his younger female counter staff while around 6-8 people were waiting to be served, his Reply ? "Yeah, whatever..." and he then proceded to walk off. A complaint was sent in to their head office and some 4 months later he still hasnt had a reply. On another occasion when I spotted that a price on the till was different to what was displayed, I was told to go elsewhere if I didnt like it,and not in particularily polite language.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,340 ✭✭✭borderlinemeath

I'll be making all my purchases in Drogheda, just like last year. Got a few gifts already, there's good value to be had in the town and I have no complaints with service. I find if you go in with an attitude you get it back.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,055 ✭✭✭Onesimus

All my shopping is always done in Dundalk/Drogheda. I dont get people in this town, it costs them like 20 euros in petrol each way to newry topping to about 40 euros. Whats the point really?

• Registered Users Posts: 16,050 ✭✭✭✭event

Onesimus wrote: »
    All my shopping is always done in Dundalk/Drogheda. I dont get people in this town, it costs them like 20 euros in petrol each way to newry topping to about 40 euros. Whats the point really?

eh, what the hell are you driving??

its 14 miles from dundalk. so thats 28 miles. now a lot of cars will do 35-40 miles to a gallon of petrol, which costs ye about €7

drogheda is 38 miles away, 72 there and back. so about €14

• Registered Users Posts: 1,996 ✭✭✭10green bottles

The pain of it all.
    For the sake of all the hassle up North i will be sticking with the "free state".
    I am not so much of a dote or dope that i cant shop around without giving myself a rage/heart/panic attack by heading across a line on a map to pick up a cheap bottle of brown sauce :rolleyes:

• Advertisement

The pain of it all.
    For the sake of all the hassle up North i will be sticking with the "free state".
    I am not so much of a dote or dope that i cant shop around without giving myself a rage/heart/panic attack by heading across a line on a map to pick up a cheap bottle of brown sauce :rolleyes:

That's obviously how it is.

The pain of it all.

What hassle up north ? If you find that driving up a road and crossing a map line brings on a rage/heart/panic attack in yourself, then you wont want to venture into any of the car parks around here either....stay in the house, dont venture out past the front door, get all essentials delivered at the end of a long pole and DONT watch the news, it may scare the bejesus out of you ! ;)

If all you need in life is a bottle of brown sauce then your needs are easily satisfied locally , if somewhat expensively ! But if , like the rest of us, you need some of the more normal foods, you may find that your local multi-national or Irish owned store is making a damned sight more profit on your purchases than their "brother" shops across that rage/heart/panic inducing imaginary line on a map !

I'll be making all my purchases in Drogheda, just like last year. Got a few gifts already, there's good value to be had in the town and I have no complaints with service. I find if you go in with an attitude you get it back.

You could turn that last comment right round and say that if you go into a shop and are at the receiving end of some employee/owners bad attitude/temper/mood THEY get it back !

Have you never had cause to complain about any sort of poor customer service you have received? Have you dealt with a business where you have been badly looked after, had to make repeat calls to get something done or had to put up with some bad tempered shop assistant who has a hangover from the night before ?

Yeah, right.....Kind of reminds me of the rose tinted glasses people wore down here up untill a few years ago, the one's that didnt see the Celtic Tiger was eating too many suger coated sweets and was on his way to a terminal heart attack !

You could turn that last comment right round and say that if you go into a shop and are at the receiving end of some employee/owners bad attitude/temper/mood THEY get it back !

I worked in a customer facing role for 18 years, most of them as a manager and the stupidity, ignorance and self righteousness of some customers never ceases to amaze me.
    Have you never had cause to complain about any sort of poor customer service you have received? Have you dealt with a business where you have been badly looked after, had to make repeat calls to get something done or had to put up with some bad tempered shop assistant who has a hangover from the night before ?

Of course I've had cause to complain but approach the staff/management with manners and respect, believe me it goes a long long way.

I don't think I've ever been "badly looked after". I'm not a time waster, a haggler (I know the cost price of a lot of goods and know the profit margins) a moaner or a serial complainant (the type who complains time after time in the hope of receiving a discount)

And no, I've never had to "put up with" a bad tempered shop assistant. Like I said, if you treat people with manners and respect you will get them back. I have had bad tempered customers who have come in all guns blazing but after treating them nicely and politely I have had them leave happy and contented.

It's about developing a rapport and showing a bit of respect and that works both ways - if you happen to encounter a sales assistant who is having a bad day, be nice and maybe sympathize - who knows what might have just happened - they may have just gotton bad exam results, had a row with a loved one, or going through a personal trauma. Take for example the woman who worked for me a number of years ago who's sister was dying of cancer yet she came into work 5 days a week while looking after 2 households.
    Yeah, right.....Kind of reminds me of the rose tinted glasses people wore down here up untill a few years ago, the one's that didnt see the Celtic Tiger was eating too many suger coated sweets and was on his way to a terminal heart attack !

I certainly don't wear rose tinted glasses - you have no idea of my personal circumstances, I certainly didn't do well during the celtic tiger compared to others, probably lucky as unlike others I didn't lose touch with reality.

I worked in a customer facing role for 18 years, most of them as a manager and the stupidity, ignorance and self righteousness of some customers never ceases to amaze me.

Of course I've had cause to complain but approach the staff/management with manners and respect, believe me it goes a long long way.

I don't think I've ever been "badly looked after". I'm not a time waster, a haggler (I know the cost price of a lot of goods and know the profit margins) a moaner or a serial complainant (the type who complains time after time in the hope of receiving a discount)

And no, I've never had to "put up with" a bad tempered shop assistant. Like I said, if you treat people with manners and respect you will get them back. I have had bad tempered customers who have come in all guns blazing but after treating them nicely and politely I have had them leave happy and contented.

It's about developing a rapport and showing a bit of respect and that works both ways - if you happen to encounter a sales assistant who is having a bad day, be nice and maybe sympathize - who knows what might have just happened - they may have just gotton bad exam results, had a row with a loved one, or going through a personal trauma. Take for example the woman who worked for me a number of years ago who's sister was dying of cancer yet she came into work 5 days a week while looking after 2 households.

I certainly don't wear rose tinted glasses - you have no idea of my personal circumstances, I certainly didn't do well during the celtic tiger compared to others, probably lucky as unlike others I didn't lose touch with reality.

Did you read any of my posting at all???

From this reply i will leave it to others to decide who has lost touch with reality, the idea that everything is rosie in the customer service end of Irish Retail is beyond belief ! Customer service standards took a major dip during the Celtic tiger years and some people still think they can treat people the same way.

Ohh and if you want to talk about length of time dealing with customers on a day to day basis, for your 18 I can give you 30+ , and for 15 of those directly responsible for dealing with customer complaints about our companies service. Yes you do get the serial complainers, or the one's who come in looking for a something to complain about or the ones who are just looking for an argument. But to label everyone with that tag says a hell of a lot about a sort of attitude to customers that is driving people away just when they are needed the most !

Just a very few examples for you but i am sure if you do a quick search here you will find many more examples, it is time some people woke up and smelt the roses , they aint all they are cracked up to be :rolleyes: !

http://www.yelp.ie/topic/dublin-customer-service-skills-in-ireland
    http://www.aidanfinn.com/?p=10262
    http://anamericaninireland.com/2011/08/10/an-open-letter-to-eircom/#more-2001
    http://www.tripadvisor.com/ShowUserReviews-g211922-d1146016-r19329426-Westlodge_Hotel-Bantry_County_Cork.html
    http://www.tripadvisor.com.sg/ShowUserReviews-g551511-d206793-r115209406-Finnstown_Country_House_Hotel-Lucan_County_Dublin.html

Did you read any of my posting at all??? 7

From this reply i will leave it to others to decide who has lost touch with reality, the idea that everything is rosie in the customer service end of Irish Retail is beyond belief ! Customer service standards took a major dip during the Celtic tiger years and some people still think they can treat people the same way.

As I say, you give what you get. For example, I was in M&S recently, I was running late for an appointment (my fault) and something I was buying wasn't scanning and the assistant went to get another item of the same price, I apologised and politely explained to the manager that I was in a hurry and she sorted it for me in about 10 seconds and gave me a couple of quid off. No hassle, no eye rolling just politeness got me more than what I needed.

Ohh and if you want to talk about length of time dealing with customers on a day to day basis, for your 18 I can give you 31 , and for 15 of those directly responsible for dealing with customer complaints about our companies service. Yes you do get the serial complainers, or the one's who come in looking for a something to complain about or the ones who are just looking for an argument. But to label everyone with that tag says a hell of a lot about the attitude to customers that is driving people away just when they are needed the most !

http://www.yelp.ie/topic/dublin-customer-service-skills-in-ireland
    http://www.aidanfinn.com/?p=10262
    http://anamericaninireland.com/2011/08/10/an-open-letter-to-eircom/#more-2001

You are the one labelling everybody with the same tag.
    like the rest of us, you need some of the more normal foods, you may find that your local multi-national or Irish owned store is making a damned sight more profit on your purchases than their "brother" shops across that rage/heart/panic inducing imaginary line on a map !

Have you proof of this other than rumour or speculation? Because you don't know how much it costs to run a retail business in Southern Ireland doesn't give you carte blanche to say they are all making more profit. Wages, commercial rates, upward only rent leases, insurance premiums, utilities, franchise agreements, unions.... all far more substantial than the UK, in fact most other european countries.

For somebody with a substantial amount of customer experience you will really enjoy "cries of retail" section in the ranting and raving forum. :rolleyes:PM a mod for access.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13 ashgal

Im understand that many may want to travel to Newry to source cheaper deals, but please spend your money locally......

• Registered Users Posts: 6,219 ✭✭✭hellboy99

ashgal wrote: »
    Im understand that many may want to travel to Newry to source cheaper deals, but please spend your money locally......
    I'm sure everyone would love to spend locally but it's not going to happen with the state of things and this government.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 414 ✭✭Bosh

Simple thing: two boards to make shelves for a small store we have in the house;

Woodies Dundalk €19.99 each. (£17.10)

B&Q Newry £9.99 each. (€11.68)

Both same dimensions and quality.

Saving €16.62.

Deduct €10 for diesel & €6.62 isn't much of a saving.

But seeing as you're already in Newry you go ahead & do the rest of your shopping, so the fuel arguement doesn't really come into it.

Anyway, NAMA have the Quays so you're still supporting the Irish economy :o

• Advertisement

Bosh wrote: »
    Simple thing: two boards to make shelves for a small store we have in the house;

Woodies Dundalk €19.99 each. (£17.10)

B&Q Newry £9.99 each. (€11.68)

Both same dimensions and quality.

Saving €16.62.

Deduct €10 for diesel & €6.62 isn't much of a saving.

But seeing as you're already in Newry you go ahead & do the rest of your shopping, so the fuel arguement doesn't really come into it.

Anyway, NAMA have the Quays so you're still supporting the Irish economy :o

You have to justify the trip by spending even more money. Then people wonder where all their money is gone.

Nor are you supporting keeping jobs locally. While you spend your money in the Quays and then wonder in January why half the shops in the Marshes have closed down.

Advertisement