Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Christmas shopping Dundalk v Newry? - Mod Note Post #46

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 414 ✭✭Bosh

I live more or less half way between the two, so the fuel cost is moot, I'm spending it either way.

Given how my income has been cut and the cost of living is increasing how stupid would I be to pay extra?

I'm not talking luxuries, just everyday stuff.

It's all well and good to talk about this ethereal noble thing to shop local but at the end of the day I need to get the best value I can with my limited resources.

Businesses in the South have to get by as best they can, and so do I. I'll buy what I need wherever I get the best value, not necessarily the cheapest, whether that be north or south.

We do our grocery shopping in Dundalk generally, that may change with new VAT rate, electronics online, spirits up north, DIY hardware/tools up north, redecorated house lately - all paint bought in Dundalk.

Shopped around for best value. There wasn't much difference with a lot of the stuff so in that case would generally stay south if possible.

But as I said, at the end of the day it's all about bang for your buck.

• Registered Users Posts: 386 ✭✭280special

As I say, you give what you get. For example, I was in M&S recently, I was running late for an appointment (my fault) and something I was buying wasn't scanning and the assistant went to get another item of the same price, I apologised and politely explained to the manager that I was in a hurry and she sorted it for me in about 10 seconds and gave me a couple of quid off. No hassle, no eye rolling just politeness got me more than what I needed. Lucky You :D! If you are trying to say that this happens each and every time someone has an issue with poor service, inaccurate pricing or goods not fit for purpose then as previously advised go get a reality check !Q

You are the one labelling everybody with the same tag. No I didnt " Customer service standards took a major dip during the Celtic tiger years and some people still think they can treat people the same way." Please do us the courtesy of reading the post properly and completely before responding....

Have you proof of this other than rumour or speculation? Because you don't know how much it costs to run a retail business (How do you know i dont???) in Southern Ireland doesn't give you carte blanche to say they are all making more profit. Wages, commercial rates, upward only rent leases, insurance premiums, utilities, franchise agreements, unions.... all far more substantial than the UK, in fact most other european countries.Can you provide us with some figures to prove this and substantiate your claim to the extent of the price differentials which are very evident to anyone who compares prices....well anyone without blinkered "everything is perfect in Irish retail! vision that is...

For somebody with a substantial amount of customer experience you will really enjoy "cries of retail" section in the ranting and raving forum. :rolleyes:PM a mod for access.No I will leave that particular section to those of you who feel that the problems of the Irish retail market are everyone else's and that if you blaim everyone else things will be ok...

These sort of responses are a sure sign that some folks still have to get a grip on the real problems in this country.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,340 ✭✭✭borderlinemeath

280special wrote: »
    These sort of responses are a sure sign that some folks still have to get a grip on the real problems in this country.

I don't have to agree with you on anything. My opinion is my own and don't tell me to "get a grip" because you don't agree. I have seen you're posts banging the same "customer service is crap" message in other forums so you have your agenda as well.

Have you proof of this other than rumour or speculation? Because you don't know how much it costs to run a retail business (How do you know i dont???) in Southern Ireland doesn't give you carte blanche to say they are all making more profit. Wages, commercial rates, upward only rent leases, insurance premiums, utilities, franchise agreements, unions.... all far more substantial than the UK, in fact most other european countries.Can you provide us with some figures to prove this and substantiate your claim to the extent of the price differentials which are very evident to anyone who compares prices....well anyone without blinkered "everything is perfect in Irish retail! vision that is...

I could post all the figures I know about the businesses I've managed but Iwon't as I respect my previous employers privacy. Some of them are PLCs and some are limited companies that post their accounts but I certainly won't disrespect them by posting for your benefit. Anybody who has run their own retail business or run a business on behalf of somebody knows the exorbitant costs in this country are the cause of price differencials. If you search through my previous posts you will find more on why it costs far more to do business in this country.

No I didnt " Customer service standards took a major dip during the Celtic tiger years and some people still think they can treat people the same way

To be honest, if you come across in a shop as self righteous as you do on this thread, I'm not suprised you receive bad service. I could link where you gave a sweeping statement on an AH thread if you like...

And finally, I'm not "blinkered" I don't think everything is perfect in Irish retail, far from it. But I don't think that harping on that customer service is crap and that retailers are ripping off consumers so shop up North is going to solve anything other than lead to job losses. All you did in your last post was add a few links to bad service. Anybody can google that.:rolleyes:

Seeing as some people choose to ignore facts and as per usual cite labour costs, energy costs, the colour of the sky....anything but the fact that they will just have to accept that their profit levels cant stay at Celtic Tiger levels.....Well here are some more direct comparisons, perhaps someone can tell us if or how, in hard facts and figures ,all these horrendous costs retailers have to put up with justifies such disparities.

ROI/NI

Alba 16" TV..........................E129.99 / E104.84
    Morphy Richards Microwave.....E 57.99 / E52.42
    Acer Laptop.........................E 429.99 / E384.44
    Power shower.......................E 259.00 / E194.85

( this last one isnt so bad , when i bought one a few years ago the price down here was THREE times what it was up north!!!!! )

All available from the same companies. After looking at the grocery price comparison previously listed (Corn flakes almost twice the price??? ) it seems like running costs for business's are HUGE this side of the border...makes you wonder why they bother :rolleyes:

But of course those of us who have to be careful with our money shouldnt worry about it, sure arnt we just giving these guys a nice bonus, a new car or some great holidays....

Maybe it is something to do with this kind of thing????

http://www.irishtimes.com/newspaper/ireland/2010/1103/1224282560226.html

I don't have to agree with you on anything. My opinion is my own and don't tell me to "get a grip" because you don't agree. I have seen you're posts banging the same "customer service is crap" message in other forums so you have your agenda as well.

Put the toys back in the pram, i know the truth hurts but that life !

I could post all (some would be great....)the figures I know about the businesses I've managed but Iwon't as I respect my previous employers privacy. Some of them are PLCs and some are limited companies that post their accounts but I certainly won't disrespect them by posting for your benefit (what about everyone else's benefit then?? come on, you are such a fountain of knowledge why dont you share what is , according to you, well known to the rest of the country? ). Anybody who has run their own retail business or run a business on behalf of somebody knows the exorbitant costs in this country are the cause of price differencials.(No Actually we dont, Examples please) If you search through my previous posts you will find more on why it costs far more to do business in this country.

Yeah...right, you say its soooo expensive but cant back it up with hard facts or figures....interesting !

To be honest, if you come across in a shop as self righteous (I aint the one who dismissed people's complaints as unimportant)as you do on this thread, I'm not suprised you receive bad service. I could link where you gave a sweeping statement on an AH thread if you like...

Toys back in the pram again please and look at your own quote directly underneath...Maybe you accept poor service, but where i come from we were always told to provide excellant service each and every time, no excuses, no back chat to customer's and I therefore expect the same from others !

And finally, I'm not "blinkered" I don't think everything is perfect in Irish retail, far from it (Goddamn, daylight at last!). But I don't think that harping on that customer service (what part of "some" dont you understand?) is crap and that retailers are ripping off consumers (the figures are there!!) so shop up North is going to solve anything (didnt say that, but as evidenced by some other people's posts here it will help some folks !)other than lead to job losses. All you did in your last post was add a few links to bad service. Anybody can google that.:rolleyes: So it appears on google...whats the problem with that??? ohh , of course, i forgot, people dont really complain about stuff do they, because they have no cause to complain , have they ??

Ohh dear, the champion of all things Retail, cant provide the proof, what a surprize !

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 923 ✭✭✭Johnny Foreigner

Bosh wrote: »
    I live more or less half way between the two, so the fuel cost is moot, I'm spending it either way.

Given how my income has been cut and the cost of living is increasing how stupid would I be to pay extra?

I'm not talking luxuries, just everyday stuff.

It's all well and good to talk about this ethereal noble thing to shop local but at the end of the day I need to get the best value I can with my limited resources.

Businesses in the South have to get by as best they can, and so do I. I'll buy what I need wherever I get the best value, not necessarily the cheapest, whether that be north or south.

We do our grocery shopping in Dundalk generally, that may change with new VAT rate, electronics online, spirits up north, DIY hardware/tools up north, redecorated house lately - all paint bought in Dundalk.

Shopped around for best value. There wasn't much difference with a lot of the stuff so in that case would generally stay south if possible.

But as I said, at the end of the day it's all about bang for your buck.

Well said. I totally agree with you.
    I love the saying; bang for your buck. That cracked me up. Never heard it before, but its a great one.

Ohh dear, the champion of all things Retail, cant provide the proof, what a surprize !

As I said, I'm certainly not going to post figures on a public board to prove to a blindly ignorant poster who has NO idea of costs of running a business in the retail sector.

And please learn how to multi quote, it's becoming quite difficult to read your rambling posts in a mixture of regular and bold font.

As I said, I'm certainly not going to post figures on a public board to prove to a blindly ignorant poster who has NO idea of costs of running a business in the retail sector.

And please learn how to multi quote, it's becoming quite difficult to read your rambling posts in a mixture of regular and bold font.

Come on sunshine, its getting late , shouldnt you have put the toys back by now and calmed down for the night ?? I think others will find it easy to see who is the ignorant poster here old son ! The bold font is there for those who otherwise choose to ignore points being made to them, however in your case you seem to have an almost political case of selective eyesight.

Once again you make a statement that you cannot back up. How do you know that I have no knowledge about the costs of running a business this side of the border? Do you know what part of the retail/service industry I work in ? No you dont !

Your refusal to provide ANY kind of costings, even generalised industry figures , hardly be claimable as mission critical to an unidentified business, proves that it is YOU who have no idea about the costs involved.

Those of us who do not subscribe to your vision of all parts of the retail industry as being extremely good value, fair to their customers and giving them the best deal possible have provided plenty of examples of what the reality is in at least some parts of this saintly industry you worship. You asked for proof, you got it, you now choose to ignore it. When you can back up your claims with hard facts let us know, untill then, go back to the Boss and tell him what hard time you are having convincing ordinary people of the great people you are.

Seeing as some people choose to ignore facts and as per usual cite labour costs, energy costs, the colour of the sky....anything but the fact that they will just have to accept that their profit levels cant stay at Celtic Tiger levels.....Well here are some more direct comparisons, perhaps someone can tell us if or how, in hard facts and figures ,all these horrendous costs retailers have to put up with justifies such disparities.

ROI/NI

Alba 16" TV..........................E129.99 / E104.84
    Morphy Richards Microwave.....E 57.99 / E52.42
    Acer Laptop.........................E 429.99 / E384.44
    Power shower.......................E 259.00 / E194.85

( this last one isnt so bad , when i bought one a few years ago the price down here was THREE times what it was up north!!!!! )

All available from the same companies. After looking at the grocery price comparison previously listed (Corn flakes almost twice the price??? ) it seems like running costs for business's are HUGE this side of the border...makes you wonder why they bother :rolleyes:

But of course those of us who have to be careful with our money shouldnt worry about it, sure arnt we just giving these guys a nice bonus, a new car or some great holidays....

Maybe it is something to do with this kind of thing????

http://www.irishtimes.com/newspaper/ireland/2010/1103/1224282560226.html

The tesco link is speculation, not proof. Every time a disgruntled consumer wants to look for "proof" google throws out a few links to a Tesco story that is out of date and purely analytical speculation. Well done:D

Seeing as you seem to ignore the facts that there is a substantial cost differencial to run a retail business in this country answer me this. If it is such a profit making business, why is every main st, shopping centre and retail park half empty and businesses closing down every week? Surely if it "ripping off" the Irish consumer to the degree you claim, then everybody would be a shopkeeper?

The facts are that 55,000 jobs have been lost in the retail sector, press release from Retail Excellence Ireland on 7th Nov 2011:

David Fitzsimons, Chief Executive, Retail Excellence Ireland commented, "I want to commend all of the retailers
    who entered this year’s awards. I particularly congratulate the awards finalists and winners. The very high standard of service, customer engagement, display and levels of investment among Irish retailers made choosing this year’s winners particularly difficult. These awards are about recognising and rewarding excellence.
    In a market with very selective consumers, recognition as an industry leader should be of significant value.”
    “High standards are particularly important given the very severe challenges currently facing Ireland’s retail
    industry. September represented the 34th
    month of consecutive decline in retail sales. Retailers are closing and
    retail jobs are being lost at record rates. Over 55,000 retail jobs have been lost in the past three years”.

And while you try to distract from the facts by telling me I'm throwing my toys out of the pram, nothing could be further from the truth. If I come across as defensive of retailers it's because I'm on the frontline dealing with consumers who have NO IDEA of the hardship that face retailers. I have friends who own their own businesses and are faced with cutting loyal employees to 3 day weeks because they can't afford their wages and PRSI contributions. Nor can they afford to make them redundant. I have a good friend who has an outstanding rates bill of €40K on a modest sized unit in a shopping centre in the south east. He works 6/7 day weeks and hasn't taken a holiday in 2 years in order to keep the doors open. I know a couple who have no staff other than themselves and are taking no wages from their business in order to pay the rent and keep the doors open, they have a 90k loan they they took out for a shopfit and stock out of said shop that the bank have increased rates on 4 times. The shops on either side of them have closed down and they have resigned themselves to closing down when the loan is paid back. These people are in their 50s, are self employed and have no income will be entitled to bugger all from social welfare for all their years of contributions.

These are independent employers who are on the brink of losing their livelyhoods, businesses that they have run for years but have been bled dry by landlords, county councils, governments and now are being abandoned by the consumer because they can get goods a fraction cheaper in a neighbouring country where business rates are negligible compared to the South, wages, utilities, insurances, warehousing, transport - ie all costs for running a business are far less.

Toys out of the pram? No. Worried like hell for my livelyhood. Yes.

Come on sunshine, its getting late , shouldnt you have put the toys back by now and calmed down for the night ?? I think others will find it easy to see who is the ignorant poster here old son ! The bold font is there for those who otherwise choose to ignore points being made to them, however in your case you seem to have an almost political case of selective eyesight.

Once again you make a statement that you cannot back up. How do you know that I have no knowledge about the costs of running a business this side of the border? Do you know what part of the retail/service industry I work in ? No you dont !

Your refusal to provide ANY kind of costings, even generalised industry figures , hardly be claimable as mission critical to an unidentified business, proves that it is YOU who have no idea about the costs involved.

Those of us who do not subscribe to your vision of all parts of the retail industry as being extremely good value, fair to their customers and giving them the best deal possible have provided plenty of examples of what the reality is in at least some parts of this saintly industry you worship. You asked for proof, you got it, you now choose to ignore it. When you can back up your claims with hard facts let us know, untill then, go back to the Boss and tell him what hard time you are having convincing ordinary people of the great people you are.

I'm not your "sunshine" nor your "old son".

You didn't post proof, you posted a link to a speculative article and your own comparisons.

Seeing as you know so much, why don't you tell me? I don't think you work in any sector of retail given you're blatantly ignorant postings on what you consider to be a "rip off". Or maybe you do work in retail, aren't you the guy who collects trolleys from the car park in Tesco?:D

As I've said before, I'm not going to disclose figures from my employers. I will however do out a cost analysis for a small business for you when I get a chance.

I don't have to convince my Boss of anything. He knows full well how far removed from the reality of running a business most consumers are. He also knows what good customer service is and that the customer isn't always right. (they just think they are)

• Advertisement

I'm not your "sunshine" nor your "old son".

You didn't post proof, you posted a link to a speculative article and your own comparisons. I wasnt the only one who posted FACTS about price comparisons, if you dont beleive the several posters who did provide FACTS as opposed to your pompous, "I know what I am talking about,take it as gospel, the rest of you are ignorant peasants and not capable of understanding" , assertions. Give us provable FACTS Sunshine FACTS !

Seeing as you know so much, why don't you tell me? Oh sure I couldnt do that, that would be a breach of employee/employer confidentiality wouldnt it ??? :rolleyes:I don't think you work in any sector of retail given you're blatantly ignorant postings on what you consider to be a "rip off". Prove US wrong, go on, prove us wrong, explain why goods down here are at times hugely more expensive, oh i forgot , you want to ignore that under the "I am sooo important, sooo senior, sooo much more intelligent than you plebs, i cant/wont bother explaining it to you lower beings." Or maybe you do work in retail, aren't you the guy who collects trolleys from the car park in Tesco?:D So the great god has spoken again, demeaning lower class workers, you might be better off out in India old son, they have a real nice caste system out there that you would really love !

As I've said before, I'm not going to disclose figures from my employers.No one asked you to, you brought it up as an excuse for excessive profits, and then realised you had backed yourself into a corner that you couldnt get out of.Generalised industry figures will suffice, you dont need to be specific. I will however do out a cost analysis for a small business for you when I get a chance. Sure if its that obvious, that well known, that should take all of what, 5 minutes ?

I don't have to convince my Boss of anything. He knows full well how far removed from the reality of running a business most consumers are. He also knows what good customer service is and that the customer isn't always right. (they just think they are) But sure according to you they are ALWAYS wrong

Here we have a prime example of what has been wrong with this country for far too many years and got us into the mess we are in. Greed is good, ignore customer's opinions,treat the lower grade staff as lower life forms...

Interesting that he/she decided to ignore the 2010 Irish Times article showing Tesco Ireland, even though we were in the middle of a financial crash, as being the 2nd most profitable part of Tesco's worldwide operations, so the Irish Times is wrong as well is it? god how lucky are we to have such a great bright person in our midst....What about the up to 34% differential in pricing within the same company operating north and south ?

The tesco link is speculation, not proof. Yeah right.....The Irish Times ? surely if it was inaccurate Tesco would have done something about it ?? Every time a disgruntled consumer wants to look for "proof" google throws out a few links to a Tesco story that is out of date article dated November 2010?? out of date ??and purely analytical speculation. Well done:D no, think its time for you to READ the article again !:rolleyes:

Seeing as you seem to ignore the facts that there is a substantial cost differencial to run a retail business in this country answer me this. If it is such a profit making business, why is every main st, shopping centre and retail park half empty and businesses closing down every week? Surely if it "ripping off" the Irish consumer to the degree you claim, then everybody would be a shopkeeper? Again you generalise, I didnt say "Everyone" you are one making generalisations about every consumer !

The facts are that 55,000 jobs have been lost in the retail sector, press release from Retail Excellence Ireland on 7th Nov 2011:

And while you try to distract from the facts by telling me I'm throwing my toys out of the pram, Well some of your posts come across like Sean Gallagher on the night of that final Tv debate,not a nice image :D nothing could be further from the truth. If I come across as defensive of retailers it's because I'm on the frontline dealing with consumers who have NO IDEA of the hardship that face retailers. I have friends who own their own businesses and are faced with cutting loyal employees to 3 day weeks because they can't afford their wages and PRSI contributions. Nor can they afford to make them redundant. I have a good friend who has an outstanding rates bill of €40K on a modest sized unit in a shopping centre in the south east. He works 6/7 day weeks and hasn't taken a holiday in 2 years in order to keep the doors open. I know a couple who have no staff other than themselves and are taking no wages from their business in order to pay the rent and keep the doors open, they have a 90k loan they they took out for a shopfit and stock out of said shop that the bank have increased rates on 4 times. The shops on either side of them have closed down and they have resigned themselves to closing down when the loan is paid back. These people are in their 50s, are self employed and have no income will be entitled to bugger all from social welfare (which is a disgrace) for all their years of contributions.

KLook, We all know people who are hard workers, providing a decent service & competitive pricing, We all know plenty of people who have taken serious cuts in their incomes to keep going...BUT those people arnt the problem, its the ones, usually huge organisations, who are sticking the knife in big time, and whose staff sometimes have an attitude of " who gives a F8ck about the customers" that are the problem. They are the ones who see themselves as safe with the backing of a huge company and maybe a complacent management too interested in their next bonus to worry about pricing or dealing with customers properly.

These are independent employers who are on the brink of losing their livelyhoods, businesses that they have run for years but have been bled dry by landlords, county councils, governments and now are being abandoned by the consumer because they can get goods a fraction cheaper in a neighbouring country where business rates are negligible compared to the South, wages, utilities, insurances, warehousing, transport - ie all costs for running a business are far less.

Well then surely it is time to go to the councils, go to the landlords and tell them they need to change? As regards service providers there are plenty of better deals to be had out there, Insurance is now a much more competitive market, we secured a far better deal thsi year by starting making calls a few months in advance, the word got back to our existing provider and quess what ?? On a similar vein, I was delighted to read of the way some of the local business people had their heads screwed on, they used the fall in demand for commercial premises to either re-negotiate or move to better premises!

Toys out of the pram? No. Worried like hell for my livelyhood. Yes. Not being sarcie or smart but that i can understand,We are all worried about the future.At times I feel like a lone voice within my own organisation trying to convince some of our newer managers of the need to go back to the levels of customer care we were famous for 10 to 15 years ago...But the real problem is that at a time when people are facing into real cuts in theor income they face prices that are not falling by as much as they should. After all Tesco were suddenly able to "reduce" prices a few years ago, they still werent as cheap as the north but it was an improvement, when they realised they were losing business to their own shops up north...why not the rest ?

Life is fairly crap for everyone you know, retailers and consumers, the difference being that consumers will walk if they dont get decent deals ! I dont remember too many people this side of the border complaining when all those yellow plate cars were packing the shopping centre car parks 10 or 15 years ago....or for that matter all those q's still to be seen of NI cars at filling stations !

I wasnt the only one who posted FACTS about price comparisons, if you dont beleive the several posters who did provide FACTS as opposed to your pompous, "I know what I am talking about,take it as gospel, the rest of you are ignorant peasants and not capable of understanding" , assertions
    Give us provable FACTS Sunshine FACTS !

I have not come across as pompous. Can you quote where I called posters "ingnorant peasants"? No you cant because I havent. I have at all times been polite and informative. You on the other hand have been sneering, condescending and sarcastic and have deliberately kept posting within posts when I asked you not to as it it difficult to read and more time consuming to quote.

KLook, We all know people who are hard workers, providing a decent service & competitive pricing, We all know plenty of people who have taken serious cuts in their incomes to keep going...BUT those people arnt the problem, its the ones, usually huge organisations, who are sticking the knife in big time, and whose staff sometimes have an attitude of " who gives a F8ck about the customers" that are the problem. They are the ones who see themselves as safe with the backing of a huge company and maybe a complacent management too interested in their next bonus to worry about pricing or dealing with customers properly.

So now it's "usually huge organisations" that you feel are ripping consumers off? How do you know I don't work for a small independent retailer? You don't - yet you have assumed that because I defend retailers that I must be raking it in. Nothing could be further from the truth.

I think it's time to put you on the ignore list - you have repeatedly told me to stop "throwing my toys out of the pram" and "calm down" - while I have been completely calm and it's your posts that have come across as agitated.

And well done on completely derailing the thread. :rolleyes:

I have not come across as pompous. Can you quote where I called posters "ingnorant peasants"? Grow up sonny, you treat people as ignorant peasants, and you know that is what was being alluded to No you cant because I havent. I have at all times been polite and informative.Polite??You think so do you? Maybe by your standards but then that speaks legions for your attitude to good customer service, something you know damn all about !! Informative ??? what about the FACTS, the FIGURES you alluded to but suddenly cant provide because it would be a breach of confidence to even provide industry figures You on the other hand have been sneering, so who was the first to include a :rolleyes: then ? condescending and sarcastic and have deliberately kept posting within posts when I asked you not to yes Mein Fuhrer, i am sorry Mein Fuhrer.... as it it difficult to read and more time consuming to quote.

So now it's "usually huge organisations" that you feel are ripping consumers off? Good grief you really have a problem keeping attention on anything dont you??? Read the posts again and please pay attention.... How do you know I don't work for a small independent retailer? You see, there you go again, you are seeing this as a personal attack rather than a questioning of the industry, what a sad individual you are. You don't - Yet you have assumed that because I defend retailers that I must be raking it in. Nothing could be further from the truth. It is you who are making the assumptions chum ! You assumed i didnt work in retail sunshine, you assumed I didnt know about about the cost factors involved for Irish business, I didnt assume you worked anywhere in retail, though to be honest with your attitude to customers i would be surprized if you do , or maybe you do work for one of those organisations that doesnt give a flying f8ck for their customers, you would seem to fit the bill quite well

I think it's time to put you on the ignore list - you have repeatedly told me to stop "throwing my toys out of the pram" and "calm down" - while I have been completely calm :Dgood one !!! you have a future on the stage ! and it's your posts that have come across as agitated. Ahhh so people havent the right to be annoyed when faced with price differentials that even you , that great doyen of the greatness of retail Ireland, can explain or justify ? Yep thought so.....thought police at work again !

And well done on completely derailing the thread.No will leave that to your great genuis old boy wouldnt want to steal anything from your parade, as it is , despite your best efforts, the discussion has continued, you are the one who has chosen to take it down a different path and ignore the price comparisons that I and others have provided ! :rolleyes:

Imagine trying to deal with someone like this if you had to take some "not fit for purpose" goods back to a shop!!!! If working at all, he/she must be one of those stuck up little brats who walk round in a suit with a shirt collar 3 sizes too big or too small, a tie (if male)that isnt properly tied, thinks they know everything and looks down their nose at the great unwashed public who pay their wages.....give me one of the lads or lassies who retreive the trollies any time !

• Moderators, Regional North East Moderators Posts: 12,739 Mod ✭✭✭✭cournioni

Everybody, please calm down and have a reasonable conversation or argument about the topic. There is no need for insults and the culprits have already been warned.

Any more of the same will result in the thread being closed and bans.

Fair enough, shame we couldnt have got some proper answers about the costs of doing business here.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,360 ✭✭✭positron

Mrs. P did all the gifts shopping in Drogheda couple of weeks ago - probly about 4-500 over all. We buy stuff off Amazon as well if/we we spot a bargain. We do our normal grocery shopping in town, and I don't think we would be going north just for grocery.

We do shop around for big ticket items - for instance if I were to get a new TV, or a car. And when it comes to saving what is left after paying tax, levi, fees, vat etc - all bets are off - I would buy north, or south, or online - where ever saves the money. I am only that patriotic. Sorry!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,055 ✭✭✭Onesimus

10pm tonight on Midweek ( TV3 ) they discuss cross border shopping and whether or not it is worth our while. Would be interesting to watch.

My own opinion is that it really isnt worth our while at all.

Well, we were up in Banbridge last night, did a shop which cost £134/ E156...the same shop down here would cost E207. We werent able to compare everything as there were some products not in common. Allowing for travel cost we saved E40.

Surprizingly booze wasnt cheaper in some cases!

Allowing for everything it would seem difficult to justify the difference on the strength of alledged extra business costs.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,219 ✭✭✭hellboy99

Why didn't they go to Asda or Iceland, and I don't "go for a coffee".

The prices are wrong for Elmo:

Let’s Rock Elmo Price here in the south is €59.99

http://www.toys.ie/Sesame-Street-Lets-Rock-Elmo-!110547-prd.aspx?qwSessionID=1bebe5ea-ff57-4bba-9078-287f38e486ff

Up north in the same store it’s £39.99/€46.72

http://www.smythstoys.com/sesame-street-171sc/sesame-street-lets-rock-elmo-110547itm.aspx?qwSessionID=e010abe6-79a6-4a15-bf20-0997e8fc04f2

I don't know where she got it for €57 up north.

• Advertisement

It sure was a strange set up, comparing two different stores? Everyone knows that , for instance, Dunnes will have offers on something, while Tesco will have offers on different items...

Why didnt they get someone from the border counties to do this for them, people who know where to go for local bargains ? I seriously doubt if too many people from Dundalk go to Sainsburys in Newry any more, Dunnes maybe and definately Tesco Banbridge judging by the number of LH and MN number plates in the car park...but Sainsburys??? Havent bought anything there for about 2 or 3 years !! Wayyyyy to expensive by far !

• Closed Accounts Posts: 287 ✭✭JohnnyTodd

Newry for sure. I shop there almost every week.

I hate shopping in dundalk. Clothes are groceries all purchased in Newry. Better selection and only 10 minutes up the road

• Registered Users Posts: 4,939 ✭✭✭goat2

The tesco link is speculation, not proof. Every time a disgruntled consumer wants to look for "proof" google throws out a few links to a Tesco story that is out of date and purely analytical speculation. Well done:D

Seeing as you seem to ignore the facts that there is a substantial cost differencial to run a retail business in this country answer me this. If it is such a profit making business, why is every main st, shopping centre and retail park half empty and businesses closing down every week? Surely if it "ripping off" the Irish consumer to the degree you claim, then everybody would be a shopkeeper?

And while you try to distract from the facts by telling me I'm throwing my toys out of the pram, nothing could be further from the truth. If I come across as defensive of retailers it's because I'm on the frontline dealing with consumers who have NO IDEA of the hardship that face retailers. I have friends who own their own businesses and are faced with cutting loyal employees to 3 day weeks because they can't afford their wages and PRSI contributions. Nor can they afford to make them redundant. I have a good friend who has an outstanding rates bill of €40K on a modest sized unit in a shopping centre in the south east. He works 6/7 day weeks and hasn't taken a holiday in 2 years in order to keep the doors open. I know a couple who have no staff other than themselves and are taking no wages from their business in order to pay the rent and keep the doors open, they have a 90k loan they they took out for a shopfit and stock out of said shop that the bank have increased rates on 4 times. The shops on either side of them have closed down and they have resigned themselves to closing down when the loan is paid back. These people are in their 50s, are self employed and have no income will be entitled to bugger all from social welfare for all their years of contributions.

Toys out of the pram? No. Worried like hell for my livelyhood. Yes.
    i am not a retailer, but i beleive the rates are huge, also insurance, public liability, electricity, and many other costs

goat2 wrote: »
    i am not a retailer, but i beleive the rates are huge, also insurance, public liability, electricity, and many other costs

Which is why the poster was asked to provide figures, as he/she claimed to have definate knowledge of same. But when asked for definate facts and figures he/she declined to do so.....

It seems difficult to understand how, for instance, a large multinational can be paying that much more here in expenses to justify pricing that is roughly 30 to 33% more expensive than the UK , and still earn enough profit here to make this their second most profitable market in the world !

• Registered Users Posts: 57 ✭✭blue.jester

There is no way the prices were as close as Midweek made out. I wonder who was pulling the strings behind the camera to ensure that shoppers stay on this side of the border.

As others have pointed out this was hardly a "like-for-like" experiment. One shopped in Tesco the other in Sainsburys. For a start Sainsburys is considered by nearly everyone I know from the North as the most expensive place to shop. Why not travel the extra ten minutes and compare the shop from Tesco in Banbridge?

Also I have no idea what the blond one with the crazy accent was talking about with regards "1 in 6" cars are no southern reg. I was in Newry only last weekend and you couldn't get into the town from the M1 because of the tailback of southern regs going into Buttercrane and The Quays. When I eventually did The Quays carpark was about 45% southern regs. I'm no maths expert but that is a bit more than 1-in-6.

Also that hilarious thing they did yet again of "having lunch" while shopping. The guy doing Tesco shop could have "had lunch" as well. You don't have to have lunch after driving for an hour up the motorway. Just another attempt to add on to the cost. Although at least this time they did "say" they didn't add it into the final bill.

Yet another total puff piece.

Myself and my girlfriend do our bi-monthly grocery shop in Newry, driving up from Raheny, and the savings to be made are insane. On average we paid between 140-160 euro on groceries, including the odd "luxury item" such as biscuits, etc, and the trolley would be overflowing. Once we were lazy and shopped at Tesco Clarehall for a few bits and pieces and for 170 euro we had nothing to show for it, half a trolley at best without any meat items in it. That is buying both stores "own brand" products as well. Meaning we are not even getting fancy pants tins of beans.

Obviously this approach is not for everyone. Paying 3.60 for the tolls ( I still can't figure out where she was getting a tenner in tolls from ) and the petrol, which from Raheny is about twenty quid, might be a bit much to just do the weekly shop. However seeing as my girlfriend is from Down we would be up once/twice a month anyway to visit her family. So for us it is a case of "while up here", although we have gone up to shop sans a parental visit as well.

For me it will always boil down to the price of milk. When I can pay 1 euro for two litres of milk in one shop and nearly 2.20 in most other shops I know where the value can be found. We didn't get the name for being a Rip-off Republic for no reason.

Yet another total puff piece.
    I agree, and they done the same false reporting last year too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 79 ✭✭Andy Mc

I agree, that programme on TV3 was a sham to encourage people not to go up North. The obvious reason is that TV3 are funded by advertising from retailers from the Republic. They are taking us for fools.
    It is obvious that where items are on special offer they are going to be cheaper whether you buy in the North or the South. With prices so expensive and money tight it is important to watch out for the offers, personally I stock up when items I buy regularly are on special.
    Items like tins of roses, selection boxes, certain Alcohol Items are sold at cost or below cost to get you in the door to fleece you on everything else.
    The only way to do a real price comparison is to compare items that are not on special. You can do this through my supermarket.co.uk and tesco ie website to compare tesco prices north and south.
    Some examples:

Sudocream 400g

• Closed Accounts Posts: 79 ✭✭Andy Mc

I agree, that programme on TV3 was a sham to encourage people not to go up North. The obvious reason is that TV3 are funded by advertising from retailers from the Republic. They are taking us for fools.
    It is obvious that where items are on special offer they are going to be cheaper whether you buy in the North or the South. With prices so expensive and money tight it is important to watch out for the offers, personally I stock up when items I buy regularly are on special.
    Items like tins of roses, selection boxes, certain Alcohol Items are sold at cost or below cost to get you in the door to fleece you on everything else int he South.
    The only way to do a real price comparison is to compare items that are not on special. You can do this through my supermarket.co.uk and tesco ie website to compare tesco prices north and south and the items not on special are nearly always cheaper in the north.
    An obvious example:

Sudocream 400g
    Tesco North £5.24 (€6.16)
    Tesco South €9.69

As a regular shopper up North and down South I do feel that there are a lot more offers up North especially in Tesco.

Andy Mc wrote: »
    As a regular shopper up North and down South I do feel that there are a lot more offers up North especially in Tesco.
    They should of picked a family that goes up north regularly for their shopping, they know where the best value is.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,939 ✭✭✭goat2

hellboy99 wrote: »
    They should of picked a family that goes up north regularly for their shopping, they know where the best value is.
    i agree with you there, we all know where bargains are to be had in our local towns.
    i also know that the rates on business here in the south is out of control, it is way too high, a fine big business here in my hometown had to close its doors last week, could not hold going with the overheads, the rates being the killer

Advertisement