Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Christmas shopping Dundalk v Newry? - Mod Note Post #46

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,219 ✭✭✭hellboy99

goat2 wrote: »
    i also know that the rates on business here in the south is out of control, it is way too high, a fine big business here in my hometown had to close its doors last week, could not hold going with the overheads, the rates being the killer
    It's terrible what's going on here when it comes to rates and running costs, thats what needs to be addressed first and foremost here. We need to get our economy speeding and to do that we need to be helping businesses and by doing this it will bring prices down. All your going to do by putting VAT up is close more businesses and create more unemployment.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,939 ✭✭✭goat2

there was a programme on rte one this morning and mary who was biddy in glenore was on it, it was stated that if we all spent just four euro of our budget on irish products when we shop, we would be supporting sixty thousand jobs, well i spend the lot of my budget on irish produced products, but there are a couple things that are not produced here is my guess

• Closed Accounts Posts: 923 ✭✭✭Johnny Foreigner

I got the bus to Newry from Dundalk today to do my Christmas shopping.
    Only 6.80 Euro return so no parking or fuel to pay for.
    On one item alone I made the following saving:
    Argos Value dehumidifier Dundalk 130 Euro.
    Argos Value dehumidifier Newry 116 Euro.
    As I spent £100 I also received a £10 Argos voucher (so even the return bus fare was covered).
    If I could get the same value in Dundalk as in Newry, then I would be happy to support the local shops. But I can't so I will continue to shop 13 miles away.
    The 2% VAT increase will just cause more shops to close in the New Year, and more shop workers to be unemployed as a result. The Irish Government should not be raising taxes any more. The only way the economy will grow is if taxes are kept low, then jobs will be created as more businesses will choose to invest in Ireland. With more people working, then there is more cash flow; and more money going back into the economy therefore stimulating further growth.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

Yes go to Newry to save €14 (The voucher is given here too) :rolleyes:. Let's have a bit of loyalty and secure a few jobs in the area. Everyone is ultimately affected by sales going out of the country.

Your point on the VAT increase is nonsense in light or your going North to shop anyway! And you have some nerve to talk about getting money into the economy at the end of that piece.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 287 ✭✭JohnnyTodd

I have to laugh at the loyalty nonsense. Bang for your buck is what it ultimately boils down to. Go north!

• Advertisement

JohnnyTodd wrote: »
    I have to laugh at the loyalty nonsense. Bang for your buck is what it ultimately boils down to. Go north!

+1

Yes go to Newry to save €14 (The voucher is given here too) :rolleyes:.
    In fairness that was just a saving on one item and no doubt that person probably bought more so a bigger saving was more than likely made.

The voucher is given here too but it's €10 which is only £8.58, so we're getting screwed with that here too :p

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,433 Mod ✭✭✭✭Mr Magnolia

I'll buy as much as possible locally and support indigenous business. There should be no shame shone upon those heading north, it's entirely their own perogative. It's up to the local stores to emphasize and attract business, I know I would be highlighting local jobs and the local economy.

There are a few stores in the south that would do well to learn from their northern counterparts.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,432 ✭✭✭mcwhirter

From my experiences over the years, I have found shop assistants in the north so much more friendlier and helpful than in the south.

It astounds me of the bad attitude of some staff in the republic, it feels like they have a chip on the shoulder and you are annoying them by asking them a question.

No the wonder people were travelling north, it wasn't just because it was cheaper.

• Registered Users Posts: 813 ✭✭✭working fool

the tv3 thing was totally biast ,
    the items they choose in tescos in the south where some of the best special offers in the store ,, more than likely sold at cost price to get d punters in ,,as it was said tv3 is totally funded by advertising ,,they,d be shooting themselves in the foot by saying the north was cheaper ,,

and as for the loyalty thing ,, take a look at most of the road works and pubic building work going on ,, cheak out the car parks !!!!!!
    its the opposit of tesco/sainsburys car parks in newry ...
    pleanty of northern ireland reg vans ,,even the goverment are shopping up north ,so to speak ?????????????

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 386 ✭✭280special

Yes go to Newry to save €14 (The voucher is given here too) :rolleyes:. Let's have a bit of loyalty and secure a few jobs in the area. Everyone is ultimately affected by sales going out of the country.

Your point on the VAT increase is nonsense in light or your going North to shop anyway! And you have some nerve to talk about getting money into the economy at the end of that piece.

Why have you ignored the various posts that show the sort of large savings that are available on regular shopping items ? Why have you ignored the fact that Andy Mc gave some prime examples of unexcusable prices differences between the north and south ?

If you want to be sarcastic please ensure you are at least fair ! :rolleyes:

I am not being sarcastic and I just want to express my own opinion. I feel that buying in the North ultimately affects all of us. Those of us who work, regardless of in what business, suffer if money is spent out of the country on products not made here. I don't wish to argue with anybody but I think I'm entitled to me own opinion on taking funds out of the economy and this is regardless of price difference, as in the long term we all pay the price.

I am not being sarcastic You may wish to delete the :rolleyes: smilie then !! and I just want to express my own opinion. I feel that buying in the North ultimately affects all of us. Those of us who work, regardless of in what business, suffer if money is spent out of the country on products not made here But those are a large proportion of the products available in supermarkets, Irish owned supermarkets and otherwise . I don't wish to argue with anybody but I think I'm entitled to me own opinion No one is saying otherwise on taking funds out of the economy and this is regardless of price difference You may be able to afford to ignore the price difference and keep on filling the profit account of various large NON-IRISH companies but a lot of us cant , as in the long term we all pay the price.

And it would be nice if you could enter the debate as to why there is such a massive difference in prices north and south, are the profit levels evident in many large ROI based supermarket chains defensable, and what can or should be done not just to help Irish Retailers but the most important people involved....the Irish consumer !! Despite what some , now absent, advocates of the brilliance of Irish Retail might think, the most important concern in this whole debate is us, the great unwashed Irish Public!!

The thread is on whether we'll shop North or South for Christmas. That is what I answered.

All products purchased here yield Wages, PAYE, PRSI, VAT etc and retain jobs. That's all I'm saying. And it's the reason I will shop locally this Christmas. Why the attitude? Can't I just state my opinion and my wish to help stimulate our economy even if it costs me more in the short term?

So, I'm just sticking to the topic as laid down by the OP. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,143 ✭✭✭locum-motion

Jaysus, will you pleeeease learn how to use the quote function?
    280special wrote: »
    And it would be nice if you could enter the debate as to why there is such a massive difference in prices north and south, are the profit levels evident in many large ROI based supermarket chains defensable, and what can or should be done not just to help Irish Retailers but the most important people involved....the Irish consumer !! Despite what some , now absent, advocates of the brilliance of Irish Retail might think, the most important concern in this whole debate is us, the great unwashed Irish Public!!

The thread is on whether we'll shop North or South for Christmas. That is what I answered.

All products purchased here yield Wages, PAYE, PRSI, VAT etc and retain jobs. That's all I'm saying. And it's the reason I will shop locally this Christmas. Why the attitude? Read your posts....Can't I just state my opinion and my wish to help stimulate our economy even if it costs me more in the short term? Please read my previous post in reply to yours....

"Where will you be doing your Christmas shopping this year Dundalk or Newry? With the stronger sterling and weaker Euro the price differential doesn't seem as good this year as in previous ones."

As originally posted by the OP .The Question was if it was financially worthwhile for people to travel north to try and save money. Nothing there about the morals or "long term" picture. Others introduced those debates, perhaps to cover up the inadequacies of their arguments and defences in favour of retailers this side of the border.

• Registered Users Posts: 672 ✭✭✭Ms Tootsie

Yes go to Newry to save €14 (The voucher is given here too) rolleyes.gif. Let's have a bit of loyalty and secure a few jobs in the area. Everyone is ultimately affected by sales going out of the country.

All products purchased here yield Wages, PAYE, PRSI, VAT etc and retain jobs. That's all I'm saying. And it's the reason I will shop locally this Christmas. Why the attitude? Can't I just state my opinion and my wish to help stimulate our economy even if it costs me more in the short term?

To be honest it's all well and good that you can afford to shop down south for Christmas but there are plenty of people out there who really appreciate that 14euro saving you mocked earlier in the thread. And that saving is just on one product. The reality is there are huge savings to be made up north particularly with christmas shopping and bulk grovery shops. In the end you could save 100euro on one trip (petrol prices and all taken in) and that 100euro makes a hell of a difference to the families that are counting the pennies and cents this Christmas. Those savings help some families keep their heads above water. It's not about loyalty to the republic anymore it is about shopping where you will get more value and make more savings.

kaza2710 wrote: »
    To be honest it's all well and good that you can afford to shop down south for Christmas but there are plenty of people out there who really appreciate that 14euro saving you mocked earlier in the thread. And that saving is just on one product. The reality is there are huge savings to be made up north particularly with christmas shopping and bulk grovery shops. In the end you could save 100euro on one trip (petrol prices and all taken in) and that 100euro makes a hell of a difference to the families that are counting the pennies and cents this Christmas. Those savings help some families keep their heads above water. It's not about loyalty to the republic anymore it is about shopping where you will get more value and make more savings.

Well said. I could not agree with you more.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,939 ✭✭✭goat2

i haggled in veg shop this week, got a few bucks off, then i haggled a fellow selling firewood and i got fifty cent off each of two bags,
    i then went into my local grocery shop with the sixteen euro voucher i had received on post from them, i would have to spend ninty euro to get sixteen euro off, i had eighty euro in my pocket, while there i got some great bargains and could not get over the bulging basket i had all for seventy four euro when my voucher was taken into account also,
    so all in all,
    the local stall holder or veg shop owner will come down in price if you ask, they love the old banter also.

i haggled in veg shop this week, got a few bucks off, then i haggled a fellow selling firewood and i got fifty cent off each of two bags,
    i then went into my local grocery shop with the sixteen euro voucher i had received on post from them, i would have to spend ninty euro to get sixteen euro off, i had eighty euro in my pocket, while there i got some great bargains and could not get over the bulging basket i had all for seventy four euro when my voucher was taken into account also,
    so all in all,
    the local stall holder or veg shop owner will come down in price if you ask, they love the old banter also.

Its a shame a retailer selling a TV, laptop, etc can't do the same.
    I saved 150 Euro doing Christmas shopping in Newry as opposed to Dundalk.

• Advertisement

so all in all,
    Well for you, I asked for a €20 discount on a display model laptop in PC World last week, it was the last one in the store, I was told no :mad:

I don't know what it is with some stores down here, same thing happened 2 years ago. I was looking for a new TV and some extra bits, went to Currys here in the south first and the TV was €300 dearer so I asked could something be done on price as I would be getting a few other items and that it was cheaper up north, I was told no along with being told from the sales guy that the "store wasn't a charity shop!".
    Ended up going to Currys in Belfast, the difference with the staff was unreal, they couldn't be anymore helpful and were a pleasure to deal with. I got the TV and all my other bits, also got a free HDMI cable and a PS3 game thrown in along with a 10% discount :D .

Go figure :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 587 ✭✭✭fat__tony

You have to justify the trip by spending even more money. Then people wonder where all their money is gone.

Nor are you supporting keeping jobs locally. While you spend your money in the Quays and then wonder in January why half the shops in the Marshes have closed down.

People have absolutely no moral obligation to shop locally when they know damn well they're going to pay more for it.

Perhaps if the government stopped raiding people's household incomes on an annual basis then maybe people willl be more inclined to assist the local economy.

fat__tony wrote: »
    People have absolutely no moral obligation to shop locally when they know damn well they're going to pay more for it.

Perhaps if the government stopped raiding people's household incomes on an annual basis then maybe people willl be more inclined to assist the local economy.

+1

• Registered Users Posts: 5,143 ✭✭✭locum-motion

hellboy99 wrote: »
    Well for you, I asked for a €20 discount on a display model laptop in PC World last week, it was the last one in the store, I was told no :mad:

I don't know what it is with some stores down here, same thing happened 2 years ago. I was looking for a new TV and some extra bits, went to Currys here in the south first and the TV was €300 dearer so I asked could something be done on price as I would be getting a few other items and that it was cheaper up north, I was told no along with being told from the sales guy that the "store wasn't a charity shop!".
    Ended up going to Currys in Belfast, the difference with the staff was unreal, they couldn't be anymore helpful and were a pleasure to deal with. I got the TV and all my other bits, also got a free HDMI cable and a PS3 game thrown in along with a 10% discount :D .

Go figure :rolleyes:

That's all well and good, but you may find (as I did) that if you move to a different part of the country that your NI-bought TV is unable to show RTE 1 & 2. Terrestrial channels in the UK are all broadcast on the UHF band, as are the four terrestrial Irish channels if you happen to be in the NE. Down here in Cork, where I am now, TV3 and TG4 are on UHF, but RTE 1 & 2 are on VHF. TV's intended for the UK market tend not to have VHF tuners, apparently.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,432 ✭✭✭mcwhirter

That's all well and good, but you may find (as I did) that if you move to a different part of the country that your NI-bought TV is unable to show RTE 1 & 2. Terrestrial channels in the UK are all broadcast on the UHF band, as are the four terrestrial Irish channels if you happen to be in the NE. Down here in Cork, where I am now, TV3 and TG4 are on UHF, but RTE 1 & 2 are on VHF. TV's intended for the UK market tend not to have VHF tuners, apparently.

That will all change when DTT is fully on board next year. However for all the people who bought their new flat screen tv's until very recently, they will not work in the republic unless buying an additional saorview box.

And these tv's where mainly bought in the south too, so that got us no where did it!!
    At least the tv's they were selling in the north worked in the north, not like down here.:mad:

+1

Hope +2 means 2 approvals !

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,316 ✭✭✭✭amacachi

Dunnes withdrew an alcohol offer early, that's more money going North of the border this year.

amacachi wrote: »
    Dunnes withdrew an alcohol offer early, that's more money going North of the border this year.[/QUOTE

Thats strange, for the first time in a long time some of the booze is actually cheaper this side of the border.

I wonder whay they did that ? Must have been a bit of a draw and getting people in the door. :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 17,875 ✭✭✭✭MugMugs

280special wrote: »
    Thats strange, for the first time in a long time some of the booze is actually cheaper this side of the border.

I wonder whay they did that ? Must have been a bit of a draw and getting people in the door. :confused:

Booze has been cheaper down here retail for a while now.

I haven't tipped north for a booze cruise in a while now.

Getting Carlsberg for a yo yo a can !

What offer have they deployed to lure custom in ?

• Advertisement

fat__tony wrote: »

No moral obligation but while people keep shopping up north our local shops will suffer and therefore the local economy will. I was up in Newry for work last week and the prices are very similar when you add in fuel costs and the like people are kidding themselves saying they made huge savings. If you shop around down here things are just as cheap

Advertisement