Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Christmas shopping Dundalk v Newry? - Mod Note Post #46

Options
124»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 386 ✭✭280special

I was up in Newry for work last week and the prices are very similar when you add in fuel costs and the like people are kidding themselves saying they made huge savings. If you shop around down here things are just as cheap

Have you done a meaningfull price comparison? Can you supply us with your figures ? You seem to be one of the few who hasnt come across better value up there !

• Registered Users Posts: 1,425 ✭✭✭indiewindy

Alcohol is the same price in the south, there is no point comparing products that are on special offer in Newry compared to the same ones at their regular prices in Louth. The TV3 docs had a tiny overall price difference.
    Some people on this thread would appear to almost be reps for shops in Newry

• Closed Accounts Posts: 923 ✭✭✭Johnny Foreigner

indiewindy wrote: »
    Alcohol is the same price in the south, there is no point comparing products that are on special offer in Newry compared to the same ones at their regular prices in Louth. The TV3 docs had a tiny overall price difference.

1 litre Smirnoff red label vodka 26.29 Euro (Tesco Republic).
    1 litre Smirnoff red label vodka 17.55 Euro (£15 Tesco North).
    Not on special offer, these are standard prices. Fact.
    I live in Dundalk, and don't work as a rep for Newry. I just choose to shop in Newry to save money.
    I saved 150 Euro doing my Christmas shopping in Newry as opposed to Dundalk.
    Where do you think that money will go? Back into the local Dundalk economy over Christmas.
    I am off to the Garden pub to spend some of what I saved right now.

Alcohol is the same price in the south, there is no point comparing products that are on special offer in Newry compared to the same ones at their regular prices in Louth. Who did this? Who provided figures that were less than honest ? Has it been down the other way around as well, or did you bother to check ? The TV3 docs had a tiny overall price difference. and have been shown to be some of the greatest nonsense shown on TV in a long time !
    Some people on this thread would appear to almost be reps for shops in Newry Would you care to name those people you would accuse of this ?

Hopefully this poster can prove his points, demonstrate who has ulterior motives here, and provide some hard facts and figures for his claims that prices are not that different....

1 litre Smirnoff red label vodka 26.29 Euro (Tesco Republic).
    1 litre Smirnoff red label vodka 17.55 Euro (£15 Tesco North).
    Not on special offer, these are standard prices. Fact.
    I live in Dundalk, and don't work as a rep for Newry. I just choose to shop in Newry to save money.
    I saved 150 Euro doing my Christmas shopping in Newry as opposed to Dundalk.
    Where do you think that money will go? Back into the local Dundalk economy over Christmas.
    I am off to the Garden pub to spend some of what I saved right now.

Exactly !! These folks forget that what we save on groceries , electrical goods etc will end up being used to buy other stuff, go to the pictures,pay some bills etc.....there are few people who are able to put money away in savings accounts these days !!!

• Advertisement

MugMugs wrote: »
    Booze has been cheaper down here retail for a while now.

I haven't tipped north for a booze cruise in a while now.

Getting Carlsberg for a yo yo a can !

What offer have they deployed to lure custom in ?

Dont drink so hadnt had to buy any since last Christmas, so dont know what the offer was. Was surprised to see that some booze was now cheaper or at the same price as up north !

I am sure they are prepared to use same as a loss leader ?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,939 ✭✭✭goat2

Its a shame a retailer selling a TV, laptop, etc can't do the same.
    I saved 150 Euro doing Christmas shopping in Newry as opposed to Dundalk.
    that is such a pity, because about eighteen months ago, my daughter was buying stuff for her first apartment renting, she needed a new tv, and ariel connector, i was with her, told the lad behind counter that she had lots of expense that week as she need lots for the flat, and he took down price by twenty euro,
    i did say that if he did not reduce, we would not be doing business, but he understood her dilemma, and was very good to her. i am thankful to him, and for doing that, he has had me as a customer since, and anytime she wants something electrical she hoes back to him, so we all have to give and take.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,219 ✭✭✭hellboy99

Not reps at all, people choose to shop around and will go where the best value is, simple as that and you can't blame them for it. Even Dundalk Town Council go up north for better value when looking to contract companies in to get road works done and flyers printed!

• Registered Users Posts: 32 ba3

my five cents

i'm probably going up north next week,looking to buy certain model of new tv,price difference is about 25% , its about 800e here and 610e up north
    its same model,not sale price or anything

im not looking forward to driving etc but dont think its fair charging so much more here for same electrical items,same goes for baby items

i dont think its coincident that sites like amazon restrict certain items (big tvs & baby stuff) from shipping to ROI to keep prices higher

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,316 ✭✭✭✭amacachi

Beers seem to be similar in price, still a lot of savings to be made on spirits though.

• Advertisement
Advertisement