Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Shower heating 'immersion' question.

Options
  • 08-11-2011 11:24pm
    Registered Users Posts: 391 ✭✭

Hi there, We, as a small household are trying to cut back a little of electricity costs during this winter. One thing I was wondering about is our power/electric shower - I'm not sure which we have (forgive my ignorance but its something I have never given much thought to) but in recent conversation with friends about electric costs one person said to me that leaving on the pull cord switch (just located outside the bathroom) is a high cost of electricity?
    I wonder if this is correct, I have googled it and not getting much result..
    Our switch is on constantly, never turned off.
    We don't have a general immersion for heating water, (we use gas which we can switch to heat water only if we need to) but it doesn't heat the shower.
    Also this person told me that a lot of fires are caused in houses where this is left on....:eek:

can any one advise please, would be most grateful.sorry for not being clearer if this post is confusing.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,422 ✭✭✭✭Bruthal

Leaving the shower pull chord switch on will not use any electricity, except if it has an indicator light, but you are talking about a few cent a year to have the indicator light on all the time, if it even registers on the meter which i doubt.

As for the house fires caused by it, extremely unlikely. Shower switches do burn out, but this burning out only really occurs while the shower is in use. Many believe they are less likely to burn out when left on anyway. Assuming its an instant electric shower.

So realistically, switch left on wont use any electricity, and wont cause a fire.

I leave my one on constantly anyway.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,592 Mod ✭✭✭✭2011

+1
    Mine is always left on.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,745 ✭✭✭meercat

2011 wrote: »
    +1
    Mine is always left on.
    Agree with the boys above

• Registered Users Posts: 91 ✭✭The Toff

Leave it on. We burned out the wiring in our switch by turning if on and off after every shower. Electrician says he gets several callouts a month about this. They are to be left on. He said that they are "inhibitors", use pretty much no electricity, and are meant to be left on at all times.

• Registered Users Posts: 391 ✭✭Realtine

Thanks folks!:)

• Advertisement
Advertisement