Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Refurbish gun stock and blue the barrels

Options
  • 08-11-2011 11:47pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,279 ✭✭✭

Hi lads when the snow and cold weather comes I wont be using my shotgun. The stock is scraped with slight dint's also some varnish missing.. Basically ware and tear. Id like to blue the barrels too... If its going to be a very pricey job I wont bother but if anybody knows anybody who does this sort of work and is good give me a shout..cheers

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,076 ✭✭✭gunhappy_ie

4200fps wrote: »
    Hi lads when the snow and cold weather comes I wont be using my shotgun. The stock is scraped with slight dint's also some varnish missing.. Basically ware and tear. Id like to blue the barrels too... If its going to be a very pricey job I wont bother but if anybody knows anybody who does this sort of work and is good give me a shout..cheers

I dont think anyone in the country blues barrels/actions.

• Registered Users Posts: 136 ✭✭chickenfarmer

John Conroy does the blueing. AFAIK he waits until he has a couple to put thru the vat together though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 236 ✭✭booom

if you're attached to it and don't plan on shifting it- why not DIY? very rewarding (if it turns out right) and if it doesn't come up right, get someone else to do it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,615 ✭✭✭kildare.17hmr

booom wrote: »
    if you're attached to it and don't plan on shifting it- why not DIY? very rewarding (if it turns out right) and if it doesn't come up right, get someone else to do it.
    something iv been thinking about doing for ages. Give us a run down on what you do

• Closed Accounts Posts: 236 ✭✭booom

nitromores, steel wool, fine grain paper, stain/varnish/lacquer for the woodwork and belgian blue for the barrels. breakdown,clean,degrease, clean again, sand out and start to apply new finish. a bit time-consuming, but it's a bit of fun and like i said- you're proud as punch when it comes up well. plenty of info on youtube and thereabouts.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 102 ✭✭scoobydoo07

Hi there,for a great way to refurbish a stock look at Rimfirecentral .com and look at the entries by user "Woodstock 63"
    .I have tried this technique on a shotgun and it was brilliant!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 461 ✭✭ballsacky

Blued the barrels of my own shotgun(with no prior experience) myself with a kit for 40 euro. Turned out brilliant.

• Registered Users Posts: 256 ✭✭johnnymolloy

my brother refinished his stock with a birchwood casey tru oil kit and it turned out great only problem we had was gettin the old finish off the stock especially around the checkering

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43 von dreyse

There is a man in Ballybofey Co. Donegal who does stock work and hot blueing, Ill pm you his details. A master crafts man and easy to pay.

• Registered Users Posts: 62 ✭✭airy-fairy

There's a well established gunsmith near in Knocklofty near Clonmel who blues, refinishes, recuts the chequering if needed. Does a great job. He gets guns from all over... He's in the Golden Pages

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2 browninggti

i gave the stock of a rifle to a furniture restorer.he stripped the varnish with caustic soda and then he sanded and resprayed(with varnish) and polished it. i blued the barrel myself with a hoppes gun blue kit. turned out brillant. sold the gun later for more than twice what i payed for it:)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,279 ✭✭✭4200fps

Hi there,for a great way to refurbish a stock look at Rimfirecentral .com and look at the entries by user "Woodstock 63"
    .I have tried this technique on a shotgun and it was brilliant!!

Thanks for info but can u send me a link. theres a few rimfirecentral sites :confused:

i gave the stock of a rifle to a furniture restorer.he stripped the varnish with caustic soda and then he sanded and resprayed(with varnish) and polished it. i blued the barrel myself with a hoppes gun blue kit. turned out brillant. sold the gun later for more than twice what i payed for it:)

Sounds like a nice job was done, would love to have seen a picture before and after. Im gona go DIY every1 on this says its the way :)

Thanks lads on the good information :).. I'm definitely thinking of going DIY as you've all given me great feed back.. Lads if ye have any good youtube links on this or if you've any pictures of your own guns to show how they came out it would be exciting to see.. when I go ahead with this i'll take before and after pictures :cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 135 ✭✭sako75 hunter

Thanks lads on the good information :).. I'm definitely thinking of going DIY as you've all given me great feed back.. Lads if ye have any good youtube links on this or if you've any pictures of your own guns to show how they came out it would be exciting to see.. when I go ahead with this i'll take before and after pictures :cool:
    I Was down at paul o hallorans yesterday (drangan) and was looking at a gun blueing set. Think it was about 18 euros, gun blue, degreaser and wire wool with more stuff (hoppes). Be worth it to give it a go yourself.

I Was down at paul o hallorans yesterday (drangan) and was looking at a gun blueing set. Think it was about 18 euros, gun blue, degreaser and wire wool with more stuff (hoppes). Be worth it to give it a go yourself.

God thats cheap. Im after getting some fine steel wool today . Fair play to you Im gona nab my gundealer to get it in for me :D

• Registered Users Posts: 961 ✭✭✭Longranger

Don't want hijack the thread but has anyone used the hoppes re-bluing kit and is it any good? I've an old sxs to do. ..

• Registered Users Posts: 37 OnTheGame

A picture says a thousand words!

Id be interested in doing something similar myself DIY. hds anybody any before and after pics of there projects?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 954 ✭✭✭acidskiffle

gunu.jpg
    This is a before and after of an old SxS I inherited. Pics aren't great but the barrels were very brown and rusted and obviously the stock was snapped in two! I did the barrels with a Birchwood Casey bluing kit which I think cost 35-40 euro (which has plenty to do a few guns) and then refinished the stock and glued it and cleaned the action and whole interior of the gun. I was more concerned about the functionality of the stock than the appearance but it still turned out very well.I had zero experience with gun refinishing before this.
    I reccomend doing it yourself as it is extremely rewarding and satisfying once you're finished and really doesn't cost much. The prep on the barrels can be tedious but it will be worth it. Good luck!

• Registered Users Posts: 102 ✭✭RICHIE.39

Great job on that stock , can't see the break from before!

• Advertisement

Thats a brilliant job, the gun stock looks like new, my dad used to make stocks rears ago he's Alzheimers now but i remembered he used to say making gun stocks was one of the hardest things to make and also if the grain wasn't right it cause's them to crack. Anyways thats a lovely job and im going to do the same. By the way i was chating to a man who had a slight grove/nudge on his stock. He said he got a a wet t-towel and placed it along the stock and rubbed the hot clothes iron to it and it got rid of the defect. He sanded and varnished it and it's like new now he claims. You can bend timber to shape with steam. I just said i'd pop up some information I heard. Thanks for the pictures!;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 954 ✭✭✭acidskiffle

Thats a brilliant job, the gun stock looks like new, my dad used to make stocks rears ago he's Alzheimers now but i remembered he used to say making gun stocks was one of the hardest things to make and also if the grain wasn't right it cause's them to crack. Anyways thats a lovely job and im going to do the same. By the way i was chating to a man who had a slight grove/nudge on his stock. He said he got a a wet t-towel and placed it along the stock and rubbed the hot clothes iron to it and it got rid of the defect. He sanded and varnished it and it's like new now he claims. You can bend timber to shape with steam. I just said i'd pop up some information I heard. Thanks for the pictures!;)
    The crack on the other side of the stock was a lot more jagged and didn't fit together as well but it's solid anyway!
    Yeah there's a lot of skill involved in making stocks, it's something I wish I could do myself.
    It's a good project to tackle and it passes a lot of time anyway so best of luck with it!

• Registered Users Posts: 102 ✭✭scoobydoo07

Just a few Pics of the stock on my Beretta DT10 .I took off the old finish of gloss and re oiled it

• Registered Users Posts: 2 Quentin Cowper

Hi Guys, I found Birchwood Casey to be possibly the worst gun product I have ever bought. I followed the instructions to the letter, redid it three times, as all I got was Grey looking barrels, barely blue, blotches (and I'm very careful as I respray instruments for a living) and rust marks. Thus is BS, on the YouTube videos I have read similar comments, is that the metal in my 12" gun barrels is of a different alley or what? I really don't think so.... Advice please, where can I bring my gun to be reblued by someone and something that actually blues the barrels please?

• Registered Users Posts: 94 ✭✭hollow point

John Conroy in Portlaoise does it he did one for a friend of mine last week his no. is 087 2592946

• Registered Users Posts: 1,805 ✭✭✭juice1304

I wouldnt use one of the bluing sets, it is simply a mild acid that will blacken and extremely thin layer of metal, it will not last. Either it has to be hot blued or slow rust blued both of which require some very nasty corrosives. Its a very simple thing to do.. there must be someone doing it. 
    In regards to the refinishing it can be done easily enough, if you decide to go ahead with it yourself send me a pm and ill tell you how i do it, 
    15440431_10209436304637214_6471719329366055720_o.jpg?oh=687e4c2f012d3ebcd32f9a2166b5b0ac&oe=5959D2A3

• Registered Users Posts: 5,500 ✭✭✭tac foley

God thats cheap. Im after getting some fine steel wool today . Fair play to you Im gona nab my gundealer to get it in for me :D

DON'T use steel wool. The reason is that the very fine particles work their way into the grain structure of the wood and end up making millions of tiny black stain marks that are literally impossible to remove without totally re-sanding down the finish until they are gone.

BRONZE wool is the stuff to use on all types of stock wood.

tac

Advertisement