Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How bad is an "FM" fail?

Options
  • 09-11-2011 12:12am
    Registered Users Posts: 125 ✭✭

Apologies I'm a firstie so haven't a clue what the grade system is i failed a test and the grade I got was "FM". Is this a bad fail or was I in anyway close to passing?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,296 ✭✭✭RandolphEsq

Failis Mediocritis

• Registered Users Posts: 3,572 ✭✭✭WeeBushy

No you weren't very close I'm afraid. An FM is between 23.33 and 26.66 percent. The grade descriptor describes it here (page 5): http://www.ucd.ie/registry/assessment/student_info/explanationofmodulargradedescriptors.pdf

• Registered Users Posts: 1,129 ✭✭✭pljudge321

~25%

• Registered Users Posts: 125 ✭✭justified

thanks guys :) eh oops I may want to get more acquainted with the library

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 7,486 ✭✭✭Red Alert

FM is just an artefact of the change to the modular system - there was P and F before, so FM is just Fail on the Modular grade scale. You can't pass by compensation with an FM.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,193 ✭✭✭[Jackass]

sorry to go a bit off topic, but what grade can you pass with compensation and can you compensate to pass core modules? And if so do you need to compensate with marks from another core module or can you do it from electives?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,038 ✭✭✭Blut2

How bad is an FM fail? Just a little bit less bad than an FML fail.

Hiyoooo, couldnt resist sorry

• Registered Users Posts: 12,612 ✭✭✭✭errlloyd

Thought this post was about Belfied FM.

(Which I like, but gets a lot of stick.)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,572 ✭✭✭WeeBushy

[Jackass] wrote: »
    sorry to go a bit off topic, but what grade can you pass with compensation and can you compensate to pass core modules? And if so do you need to compensate with marks from another core module or can you do it from electives?

You can compensate any module (except ones that explicitly say they must be passed - check the module descriptor for that. They tend to be medical/veterinary modules, but other courses do have modules that can't be compensated).

An E grade (30 - 40%) can be compensated, so long as your GPA is above 2 for the stage, and you have passed more than 75% of the modules in that stage, which is usually 45 credits.

It's explained here (page 4): http://www.ucd.ie/registry/assessment/student_info/modulargradesexplained.pdf

Edit: you can search for your course here: http://www.ucd.ie/students/curriculumarchive.html although I see from another thread that you're studying for a BA which, afaik, doesn't have (m)any module that can't be compensated.

Advertisement