Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Goldeneye 007: Reloaded

Options
  • 09-11-2011 12:14am
    Registered Users Posts: 2,485 ✭✭✭

Did anyone get this? I want it, but I know it'll get cheap quickly. I passed on the Wii version last year, but my brief experiences were pretty good.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,954 ✭✭✭Mr.Saturn

It's weird, the Wii often gets lambasted for having no games, yet this year has seen numerous instances of its more broad-reaching titles getting HD renditions.

• Registered Users Posts: 321 ✭✭Ian7

Hey, yeah i rented this game over the weekend and I have to say as a first person shooter, it's a pretty solid and enjoyable game with the harder difficulties providing a satisfying challenge. There's also plenty of optional objectives to complete during each mission. However, I do have a few gripes with this "remake".

I understand the makers wanted to update the graphics, gameplay and plot line of the original N64 hit but this "re-make" is so far removed from the original game it may as well have a different name. There's nothing familiar left here except one or two sections of levels, character names, a couple of sound effects and bullet hole effects.

I am left wondering why they even bothered remaking it and who they were remaking it for? I really don't appreciate it having the goldeneye name attached to it, as it is sending the original games legendary status into farce! EA already did a kind of a bond game called GoldenEye: Rogue Agent which had nothing to do with Bonds film and N64 outing, now Activision have done a version, who's next?

I don't care if the world has changed dramatically since the mid nineties...i just wanna play the original story-line again but with updated controls and HD graphics. I want pierce Brosnan in the lead roll, the original music, original locations, weapons and gadgets. I want the atmosphere and sound of the original game. Is that too much to ask?

Games are way too easy these days. I don't like the way enemies and objectives show up on your map. I'm sure we could figure it out eventually. Also, I played the game 007 difficulty but could progress through levels without having to complete all objectives yet the mission report says incomplete. You wouldn't have gotten away that lightly with the original.

Possible spoiler alert.....
    the biggest crime is the completely tacky nightclub level where you meet Velentine Zukovsky. Just incase you have ingnored the spoiler warning i wont tell you what happens during this level. Why eurocom, why?

So there ya have it, my little rant for today.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,446 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

I'm of a differing opinion. I have the game on the Wii and think it's a fantastic remake. This may hurt some Goldeneye fans but I've played the original game recently and it doesn't hold up at all and is a bit crap by modern standards. This remake brings the game bang up to date and it's a great reimagining of the original. If the game got released as a pretty version of the original it will get laughed at.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,661 ✭✭✭✭Helix

agree with the above, its far, far better than the original

don't get me wrong, the new game is a good First Person Shooter and the original hasn't aged well at all but at the time there was nothing like it. There was something special about it which the new version lacks. Why can't they keep the original levels, weapons, characters and plot and maybe map this over a game like Modern Warfare? Maybe increase the size and details of the original levels too. Even keeping the main menu style would have been a nice touch.

Goldeneye 007 is a new game for a new market with just the name and a vaguely similar plot line. It just seems a bit pointless. Generally, new-comers probably won't appreciate it's heritage and players of the original I think would be left feeling a bit empty. I mentioned a certain level above, which up until that point i was quite content with the direction they had taken in terms of modernising it but that just felt a step too far.

On a side note: Goldeneye source have already done a cracking job at updating the multiplayer end which is as faithful as you could ever get and a possible single player version is rumoured but they'll never get a commercial release i don't think. If you haven't seen this, take a look. Its quite impressive. They've even up-dated the original score.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a2TzSQMAUD4

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,446 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

To be honest the only way that the new Goldeneye could live up to the old one was if it represented a huge shift in FPS design. The original maybe extremely dated but it was hugely influential and tried lots of new things and at the time it was the most impressive FPS out there until Half-Life. A remake was never going to match that so the development team did a really good job of making a quality FPS while paying homage to the original. And it plays very like Call of Duty in the action sequences so there's one of your wishes already. While Goldeneye had some classic levels the majority of the level design was terrible and you also had respawning bad guys which thankfully have been phased out of modern games. A lot of it was non-linear and very bland and boring with lots of dead ends. It just wouldn't work now.

The developers did the best they could possibly could with the game and the only people it is disappointing are the fans of the original that are looking through rose tinted specs and can't see how archaic the original was. It might seem a bit pointless but if you want to relive the original you can get the game and an N64 for the same price. Just prepare to be disappointed.

I just wish that Halo anniversary had taken a similar approach, if not as drastic as with goldeneye. It's a far more pointless remake considering the original is flawed but still perfectly playable.

I have my original N64 and copy of goldeneye still connected to my old tv at home. I know how out dated it is and how it wouldn't fit in with the current generation but that's not the point. There may be some rose-tinted glass involved when re-calling those days but how could it have created such a fan base if there wasn't something special about it? My link to youtube above is basically what people have been calling out for for years but in a commercial release. I don't wan't a new Goldeneye game with drastic differences in level and plot design, I want to play a graphically updated version. I wouldn't have a problem with it being a clone of Call of duty in terms of play-ability or with levels being altered slightly to suit the current generation, or the AI being updated or whatever it takes. I just wanted to play through familiar level sections, with the same plot and weapons. I don't want mid level cut scenes or levels where you walk around scanning faces with your mobile. And I actually prefer non-linear games, i feel they add an extra dimension which standard run-and-gun games lack.

As i said earlier, as a first person shooter, this new game is a good game. It's not ground breaking in any form but it's solid enough. But it has strayed a little too far from the original game to be classed as the remake which the fans have been looking for. Put simply, this is just a different version of a movie tie-in.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,661 ✭✭✭✭Helix

its always been pitched as a reboot rather than a remake though

• Registered Users Posts: 2,485 ✭✭✭Mr. K

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    you also had respawning bad guys which thankfully have been phased out of modern games.

Have the CoD games gotten rid of endless respawns? I know it was in MW, but I can't remember if it was in Black Ops!

Mr. K wrote: »
    Have the CoD games gotten rid of endless respawns? I know it was in MW, but I can't remember if it was in Black Ops!

Well in CoD they stop as you push forward. In goldeneye they keep spawning randomly and never stop, it's far more annoying.

• Advertisement

Helix wrote: »
    its always been pitched as a reboot rather than a remake though

Reboot, re-imagining, remake. All the same if you ask me, although a reboot makes it sound like they're planning on a Goldeneye 2. It's definitely not a reboot of the bond series as Bloodstone is very similar to this game and was out around the same time as the wii version. I'm sorry but I still don't see the point of pushing a remake this far.
    Well in CoD they stop as you push forward. In goldeneye they keep spawning randomly and never stop, it's far more annoying.

I'm not saying they should keep the spawn system the same. For some reason my point seems to be lost here, i'm not suggesting that a new Goldeneye game be an exact replica of the original with updated graphics. There is a lot of things to fix about the original.

Look, I don't want this debate to turn into an argument so I'm just gonna say that all of us are correct in our opinions of the game. :)

I think we both agree they did a pretty good job and made a decent game out of the remake. At least it's not a disaster like Twin Snakes!

haha, too true.

by the way retr0gamer, did you have a look at the Goldeneye source video? if so, what do you think? should this be a separate thread?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,062 ✭✭✭al28283

might pick this up for the xbox

Do and be sure to let us know on Monday what ya think of it. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,118 ✭✭✭notahappycamper

I have this winging it's way to me on the PS3. Went with the PS3 version as its compatible with the sharpshooter.

Ian7 wrote: »
    haha, too true.

by the way retr0gamer, did you have a look at the Goldeneye source video? if so, what do you think? should this be a separate thread?

I've played it ages ago. It was a fun multiplayer shooter alright but they have changed the maps to make them more open and less bland and the play mechanics are very different so it doesn't feel like goldeneye at all but it's a good game for some deathmatch action. Since you are using a keyboard and mouse and not the analogue control of the N64 which is terrible for FPS games you can't rely on the extremely generous auto aim of the original which really changes it.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,673 ✭✭✭✭senordingdong

Just got the xbox version as a much anticipated xmas gift...I too would have been happy with a carbon copy of the original with updated graphics.

The details of the new story, Daniel Craig etc... I was actually looking forward to. I took a quick glance at the instructions before I played it and saw that the controls were the exact same as COD, which I took as a good sign, esp since Activision were involved.

However, playing it was a different story altogether. The dam level at the start carried a nice familiar setting but the gameplay thereafter took a serious nose dive in my opinion. My biggest problem is how the game plays. In comparison to the original, the controls feel terribly slow and cumbersome, compared to the fluidic movements of the predecessor.
    Also, with Activisions involvement, and the shameless attempt to mimic modern shooters, in particular, CoD, the game works as a fast paced shooter all around you at times, but at the same time, the character you are controlling is slow and cumbersome, making me feel like you are out of place to the action taking place around you. For example, doing a slow-mo breach against half a dozen enemies when you are armed with a pistol that takes four shots to kill an enemy.

I have continued playing and I like that they have kept the multiple objectives thing, but I think the system of extra objectives was poorly executed in my opinion. Have played on to the aforementioned abomination of the nightclub level and am finding little interest to return to it.

I took a shot at the MI6 Ops section aswell, (not a rip off from COD, jah right!) and like I said above, the level played out like a high pace shooter, but the player dragged like a point and click adventure.

Will play on for the sake of it but I am not enthusiastic about it anymore.

However, playing it was a different story altogether. The dam level at the start carried a nice familiar setting but the gameplay thereafter took a serious nose dive in my opinion. My biggest problem is how the game plays. In comparison to the original, the controls feel terribly slow and cumbersome, compared to the fluidic movements of the predecessor.

The controls are much better. The original controls like a dog. The frame rate is terribl, the analogue stick wasn't any use for FPS games and you had to rely on a crazy amount of auto-aim. It's a big improvement.

I disagree. The controls are very slow and poorly responsive by comparison.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,447 ✭✭✭richymcdermott

Was going to pick it up today but 49.99 for a 2 year old wii port , would ya ever **** off hmv

I disagree. The controls are very slow and poorly responsive by comparison.

I don't know when you played the N64 version last but I played it not so long ago and slow and unresponsive sums up that version perfectly. The new version has decent CoD controls by comparison.

I don't know when you played the N64 version last but I played it not so long ago and slow and unresponsive sums up that version perfectly. The new version has decent CoD controls by comparison.

I dunno, in the N64 version, the controls and pacing seemed in place with everything going on around you. Not so much in the new one.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,610 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

I played this on the Wii last year and thought it was great fun, sure, the nightclub level was poor but that was about it.
    I look forward to picking up Reloaded for Bloodstone money on the 360 during 2012!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,485 ✭✭✭Mr. K

CiDeRmAn wrote: »
    I look forward to picking up Reloaded for Bloodstone money on the 360 during 2012!

Yeah, I reckon I'll pick up Goldeneye if I see it on the cheap. Is Bloodstone worth a play? I know it's not meant to be great, but I do enjoy Bond games!

Yeah, I reckon I'll pick up Goldeneye if I see it on the cheap. Is Bloodstone worth a play? I know it's not meant to be great, but I do enjoy Bond games!

Just picked up Bloodstone on the cheap.
    Was planning to wait until I was done with GE before I got stuck in but GE does seem to have alot of replay value.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,976 ✭✭✭✭humanji

It's not bad. It's a bit of fun and has some good design points. It's the type of game that you'd enjoy playing, but soon forget about afterwards. There's a good mix of driving and FPS in it.

Been giving the mp a whirl on this and my god the frantic running and dying brings me back to the old COD mp.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,324 ✭✭✭chrislad

On the Nightclub level. It's not wowing me so far, but I'll persevere. I doubt I'll replay on the different difficulties though.

• Advertisement

Hahahm the nightclub level is certainly proving to be a controversial one.

Advertisement