Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

kuota or not to kuota

• 09-11-2011 12:15am
    Registered Users Posts: 7

hi

im in the market for my first carbon bike and have decided on kuota karma dont know much about the bike but like the look of it can anybody tell me is it worth the money (around 2 grand)

thanks

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,565 ✭✭✭thebouldwhacker

I came very close to buying one last year. Few lads I cycled with had them, I reckon they are one of the most lovely of that type of frame esp for the price. All that ride them love them afaik

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 661 ✭✭✭andy69

wuzie71 wrote: »
    hi
    ...decided on kuota karma...

Who is the dealer/stockist here for them here? Wouldn't mind having a look, as I was hoping to buy a new bike in the new year.

I hired a Kebel(?) when I was in France. Lovely looking bike, handled very well on the climbs and descents, but I found it a bit 'harsh' compared to my Look 586. (I think it was down to the saddle though...it was VERY thin).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,121 ✭✭✭Fazz

I have a Kuota Kharma, 2010 with 2011 brake calipers and hidden cabling.

I have it since last August, and think its a great bike.
    I got it from Barry in Worldwide Cycles. Great customer service.

Highly recommend it.

Mine weighs over 9kg with wheels on.
    If I was in the market, I'd happily buy another.

Now, if you want a very light bike, I hear the Specialized McLaren Venge weighs just over 6.8kg with wheels!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 895 ✭✭✭Dubba

A carbon road bike at 9kg is way too heavy imo.

Have you looked at the SRAM Rival Planet X Pro Carbon? Its at around 7.5kg for £999

http://www.planet-x-bikes.co.uk/i/q/YBPXSLPRIV/planet_x_pro_carbon_rival_road_bike

Here's the SRAM Force PX review (much the same as the Rival):

http://www.bikeradar.com/gear/category/bikes/road/product/review-planet-x-pro-sl-sram-force-11-44473/

• Registered Users Posts: 79 ✭✭Special Red

I bought my Kharma back in May of this year and I love the bike. I don't mind much about weight as I've learned that you can lose 0.8kg by taking a leak! All I know is that it is considerably lighter than an aluminium frame. Mine is xxl frame size (I'm 6ft 2") and fits fine. I have the Kuota calipers too which are very good. It is a beautiful looking bike and it does evoke frame envy. Can't fault it, would buy it again or stay with the brand if I had to change for whatever reason.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7 wuzie71

thanks

i think im convinced even if the 2012 model is not as nice as previous models imo.

think i will be making a purchase soon.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,099 ✭✭✭morana

I have a ksano its a bit of an older model but when I got it I rode it it was the best bike I had ever ridden bar none! Light stiff responsive but then I got a cervelo soloist and that is the top dog when I get a new bike it will be an S3. I dont like the look of the S5 and the stupid way the cables go into the top tube...what genius came up with that solution!!

Anyway the Kuota is excellent imho

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,831 ✭✭✭ROK ON

I have a Kuota Kebel. It looks great IMHO. Pretty stiff and respons much better to putting the power down to my other two bikes (Orbea, and Dolan). For example, in a fast gear once you start to pick up cadence, it feels as if you are much more a part of moving the bike along the road than my opther bikes - not sure if that explains it, but thats how it feels.

It descends well and corners nicely.

However, and there is always an however - it is a great bike on fine roads. The stiffness can make it a pretty horrible ride on poor roads. There have been too many times where the rear triangle fishtales out of a hollow in the road or small pothole (My other bikes tend to absorb this).This can be dangerous, and I have narraowly averted faceplanting just too many times recently on the bike. It is not a wheel or tyre issue, as I have same tyres on all bikes and regulalry swap wheels around. Rather on a hollow part of the road the rear forks bounces rather than absorbs the road.

On that basis, I have a love/hate relationship with the Kuota.

I echo what a previous poster said re Worldwide in Clonmel. I bought mine there. It was 230yoyyous cheaper than same model in The Edge in Cork. Service from Ray and Barry is simply excellent. I love dealing with retailers that are passionate about their product and service. All to rare these days unfortunately. If I was getting another bike, I would need a very good reason not to go back to Worldwide.

I use it now only when I know there will be predominantly good roads.
    Great bike, but unsuitable for many of the roads that I cycle on regulalry.

Advertisement