Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Another comeback of sorts :)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 19,524 ✭✭✭✭Krusty_Clown

So after a meeting with my coach I have decided to knock the Berlin marathon on the head.I will do a 5k in 3 weeks to see where im at and then the National 10k on the road.
    After this the emphasis switches to track season where I will race alot of 1500m's.
    After the Summer season in Aug I will then take 2-3weeks of hopefully if my body in one piece.

Today I did 25mins @ 7min pace 20mins@ 5.20-30 pace and 25mins @ 7min pace.Plenty of stretching and foam rolling in the gym after.
    I don't know how you can come back from injury and knock out a sub 17 5k (and more) in training, in the middle of 50 mins of easy running. You have some speed (you lucky bastid!). Good luck with the new plan.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,762 ✭✭✭✭ecoli

So after a meeting with my coach I have decided to knock the Berlin marathon on the head.I will do a 5k in 3 weeks to see where im at and then the National 10k on the road.
    After this the emphasis switches to track season where I will race alot of 1500m's.

Sounds like a similar plan to myself (mind you looking at your paces there I dunno if ill be in the same ball park as you regarding paces:D)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,800 ✭✭✭thirstywork2

Easy enough put a tempo like that when you aren't doing quality and bigger miles per week.
    Did 10miles with buggy and coach JD today.Weather was gorgeous and felt the best snce I started back last 3-4 weeks.

Down to the club for stretch and foam rolling.Headed out with JD & Eric and nice easy run @ 7.30 pace for 65minutes.

Left knee niggling after run so icing and compression now.

Kept putting my run off with euro indoors so headed out around 8 pm.Felt unreal and had to slow myself down,ran 45 minutes and good ballistic stretch after and some lunges.

Doing Munich laps tomorrow 5-6 reps of 3.5 minutes controlled.
    Sunday will do 90 minutes which will make a cracking week.

• Advertisement

3 mile warm up and 5 x 4 minutes.Club mate was in top 40 in the Intercounties so good level for me to train with.
    Tried to keep it controlled but was working hard after the 3rd rep so decided 5 reps better than 6 :)
    3 mile cool down and some stretching.
    Long run tomorrow and starting my run group tomorrow in the Phoenix park.

Sometimes you think you are moving forward in training but today showed me im far from fit.I always like to take the positives and I suppose this week was the best quality and volume in a long time so the long run at the end of the week tested me.
    Ran with two clubmates and none had a garmin (how refreshing)
    Pace felt like around a shade under 7minutes but I just felt tight and uncomfortable throughout.We dropped a 5.20ish mile after 80minutes,something our couch gets us to do now and again on the long run.
    Total run 95minutes.

Started my run group and was great banter and refreshing to work with runners of all levels and (well most) enjoying it.

Easy hour tommorow and down to the club Tuesday to get my schedule.

Suppose to be an easy 45minutes but ended up doing 90minutes.
    Really tired now and only for the little one here id be hitting the leaba for a power nap.

Tomorrow has me back on the track with the plan to do 16 x 400m in 75-76 off 100m jog.

am 20min run easy

pm dynamic warm up and 2miles
    16 x 400m on the road as womens group using the track.
    Started pretty slow but gradually got faster.really nice workout and felt easy.
    2mile cooldown.
    Group of 7 to start with tonight which was great.

Miles so far:20
    Shoes used:Puma fass 500 and adidas adios

9 mile run this morning,wore a garmin for the first time in months.Now I know why I don't bother with it as I was depressed reading 8minute miles for the first 20minutes but last 40minutes was all sub 6.40 pace.

Bit of foam rolling and stretching afterwards.Starting to eat a little more healthy lately.Msb 5k is the next race which im looking forward to.

• Advertisement

5miles am

7pm I did 20mins @ 4min k's 20mins @ 3.35 k's 20mins @ 4.30 k's

Really felt good tonight.
    Tried out a new shoe called the Puma Mobium tonight,think I might be the first person in Ireland to get a pair :D

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nFxHzDabRN4

11 mile run today and didn't feel great.Left knee niggly after and not looking forward to session tommorow.

After work headed out for a session.Did 40minutes warm up and down to the track.
    Session was 7 x 1km
    First rep ran 3.23 and felt like crap,decided to run another rep and if I felt the same would knock it on the head.
    Second rep was 3.23 and felt so much better.Think the issue was I wasn't on the track in so long.
    Third rep 3.20 4th rep 3.20 5th rep 3.18 6th rep 3.13 and 7th rep pushed it a little and finished up in 3.07
    2 mile cooldown and up to my mum's for a nice feed.
    long run tommorw followed by rest day and time trail for 1km on the track Tuesday.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,685 ✭✭✭RunningKing

After work headed out for a session..

used to be a time in my life when that meant something entirely different.........

Headed down to the club and couple of other lads joined us including a sub 4 minute miler,thank god this wasn't a session lol.
    first few miles where very slow as wind was crazy but we settled into a nice pace after and did 15 miles with last 2 miles sub 6 minute pace.
    Struggled more than I should have been on this run maybe due to lack of sleep or increased volume.
    Rest day tmrw and 1k time trial on Tuesday.

After a rest day the legs felt great going into my 1k time trial.The trail is done on a 300m track which isn't ideal but what can you do.

Arrive down the club only to be told it's now a 1200m time trail.
    Settled in 3rd first lap running 50 seconds and was out of my comfort zone almost straight away.Second lap 50 seconds and decided to make a move to the front,felt as though i lifted the pace as a 3-4 metre gap appeared but it was another 50 second lap.
    This is where i started to run out of steam and two lads who sat back passed me out.With 50m to go I had 2nd in sight butmy legs where like tree trunks and ran hard to the finish.
    Finishing time 3.21.8
    We did a flush out session after this and ran 5 x 1km with 1min recovery all in 3.10-12
    2mile warm up and cooldown,a nice days work and should set me up wellfor Saturdays 5k.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,642 ✭✭✭TRR

a nice days work and should set me up wellfor Saturdays 5k.

you're definitely the favourite with speed like that in the legs. Hopefuly you don't pick up an injury between now and then ;):D

• Registered Users Posts: 5,370 ✭✭✭pconn062

That 5x1k you did after the 1200 race is seriously impressive, you have unreal speed. Well done.

Still early days in the training cycle and not getting hung up on short term stuff.
    Staying injury free the most important thing right now.
    Speed will only get you so far but very happy with that time trial.
    Sets me up well now for the summer and half thinking of doing a couple of steeplechases now.

First day in a long time I didn't feel like running.Headed out for a run at 10am and stopped after 10 minutes and walked home.

Maybe it was the come down after yesterdays workout/race or maybe taking a day off Monday has made me soft.
    So I hit the biscuits and jellies for the day and after chatting with someone who I know is injured I decided to stop feeling sorry for myself.

Ran from Chapelizod to city centre and looped back.Pace was easy 7 min miles and covered 10miles.

Shoes Puma fass 500
    left knee sore & left big toe

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,545 ✭✭✭tunguska

Sets me up well now for the summer and half thinking of doing a couple of steeplechases now.

You're a lunatic.

Might take a trip into town on saturday to watch the race. If you dont blow your load on the first km you should do a good one. Just stay off the jellies between now and then. And the beer. And the pringles. And the Mule bars. And the mars bars......

tunguska wrote: »
    You're a lunatic.

:) I agree for a man with an injury history like yourself, you're just asking for trouble. It's not as if you're a young man either ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,545 ✭✭✭tunguska

TRR wrote: »
    :) I agree for a man with an injury history like yourself, you're just asking for trouble. It's not as if you're a young man either ;)

This is like the WWF with all the thrash talking. All we're short of now is TRR going to the top rope with a steel chair and lampin' kev out of it.

tunguska wrote: »
    This is like the WWF with all the thrash talking. All we're short of now is TRR going to the top rope with a steel chair and lampin' kev out of it.

Don't be putting ideas into my head, if Kev gets a bang to the head Saturday morning on the start line you will know who the culprit is :)

Anyway Kev couldn't fill a pair of WWE (you're showing your age Eoin, they had to drop the F :)) bannana hammocks like I can ;)

Id be more confident if it was WWE

No harm in a little trash talk,going to run my own race Saturday.
    Still young enough if I can run a track pb this summer.

Saturday is our club trail for road relays so although important short term I have my eye on national 10k more.

Today I ran 8miles amand did loads of stretching,pace started 8min miles and finished at 6.40

No harm in a little trash talk,going to run my own race Saturday.

So am I, my plan is to follow your arse and hopefully kick on :D

As usual I'm setting myself up for a fall. I don't think I've come out on top in one race where I previously trashed talked :o

I can think of better arses to follow around the 16 minute mark :)

I can think of better arses to follow around the 16 minute mark :)

I know you're a bit metrosexual, so are we talking male or female? I'll gladly follow a female arse for 15.30 minutes before giving said lady the joy of viewing my derriere over the last 200 metres as I kick ahead to try and save myself from being "chicked"

Every hole is my goal :D

• Advertisement

8.5 miles today,not a great day to be honest as glands swollen on my neck and knee at me.Will make a decision tomorrow morning whether to race.

Advertisement