Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Ear to the ground (dairy farmer)

• 09-11-2011 12:39am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,489 ✭✭✭

Anyone watch this tonight? The dairy farmer didn't seem too pleased about his son not being interested in farming. He leased his 160 acre dairy farm including livestock on a 10 year lease to a landless young farmer. The leasee is milking 85 cows. By the time he pays the lease on land and livestock there would be little room for profit.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,701 ✭✭✭moy83

It would be interesting to see his figures alright . Fair play to him though , hope it works out well for him . I suppose if the buildings , land and stock were all ready to go it might be as cheap a starting point as a young fella starting from scratch with just the land ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,700 ✭✭✭irishh_bob

Anyone watch this tonight? The dairy farmer didn't seem too pleased about his son not being interested in farming. He leased his 160 acre dairy farm including livestock on a 10 year lease to a landless young farmer. The leasee is milking 85 cows. By the time he pays the lease on land and livestock there would be little room for profit.

found that old guy a bit tedious to be honest , you would think the tans had burned down his barn the way he was near close to tears , all he did was sign up to a long term lease with an enterprising ambitious younger farmer , no need for mellow dramatics

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,489 ✭✭✭sh1tstirrer

irishh_bob wrote: »
    found that old guy a bit tedious to be honest , you would think the tans had burned down his barn the way he was near close to tears , all he did was sign up to a long term lease with an enterprising ambitious younger farmer , no need for mellow dramatics
    True, the cows and the land will still be there in 10 years if his son changes his mind.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 514 ✭✭✭Dazzler88

irishh_bob wrote: »

I could be way off here but I thought maybe him and his son had a fall out,hence the near tears,I could be wrong.

I would also love to see the figures.I think its a great way forward for bachelor farmers who have nobody to inherit.It would definitely help free up land.Better than old guy dying and family selling for outrageous prices.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 mike 7

why not give the land to the son. So he could lease it to the young farmer. The young lad milking the cows might not be makeing money [ but whats new it is a way of life ]

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,087 ✭✭✭vanderbadger

Dazzler88 wrote: »
    I could be way off here but I thought maybe him and his son had a fall out,hence the near tears,I could be wrong.

I would also love to see the figures.I think its a great way forward for bachelor farmers who have nobody to inherit.It would definitely help free up land.Better than old guy dying and family selling for outrageous prices.

thought the same, seemed like there was some sort of fallout, ah sure who knows what went on, thought it wasnt a great example for the show to use if trying to promote the idea what with that man close to tears

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,279 ✭✭✭snowman707

thought the same, seemed like there was some sort of fallout, ah sure who knows what went on, thought it wasnt a great example for the show to use if trying to promote the idea what with that man close to tears

totally agree and I think comments like above should be avoided on a public forum like this, this is obviously a personal family issue

fair play to the young lad and to the farmer for coming on air,

good luck to both of them

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,643 ✭✭✭Cavanjack

Typical Rte putting on a farming program at 7pm. Must think farming is a nine to five job.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,552 ✭✭✭pakalasa

Cavanjack wrote: »
    Typical Rte putting on a farming program at 7pm. Must think farming is a nine to five job.

Dont forget you can see it on RTE PLAYER when it comes up;

http://www.rte.ie/player/#s=a%20to%20z&ch=E

Must watch it myself.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,087 ✭✭✭vanderbadger

Cavanjack wrote: »

its nearly worth coming in a few minutes early to watch Ella ;)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 11,786 ✭✭✭✭whelan1

its normally on again on a sunday around dinner time

• Closed Accounts Posts: 521 ✭✭✭Atilathehun

whelan1 wrote: »
    its normally on again on a sunday around dinner time

Where's the use, farming is a seven day week job;)

• Registered Users Posts: 169 ✭✭deise man

its nearly worth coming in a few minutes early to watch Ella ;)
    She's some stunner ok.

Dazzler88 wrote: »

True, a good idea was reduced to sentimentality

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,313 ✭✭✭✭Sam Kade

I wouldn't call it a new idea I know of at least 2 farmers in Cork that did the same back in the early 1990's. They let their dairy farms on a long term lease, land buildings and livestock.

• Registered Users Posts: 157 ✭✭6600

Haven't seen it myself yet but i'm surprised that it was even about a dairy farmer tbh. Maybe they've changed their focus from previous series which were stuffed full of goat farms, "farmer's" markets, cheese making, open farms and similar bs.
    The usual run of an episode is:
    - Darragh does an intro saying something about the programme that brings the countryside into your sitting room, meh
    - Ella does something about growing your own or farmers markets,
    - then the tall one does something to tug at the heartstrings.
    - Darragh does something vaguely about farming at the end to keep the farmers watching through the other tripe,

The producers of ETTG seem afraid or unable to cover real farming issues in any technical detail. They try to keep the urban viewer entertained while alienating the farmer viewer with their cringy music and simplistic treatment of complex topics.
    As for the presenters I doubt any of them (including Darragh!) have enough farming knowledge to present this programme. May as well be Duncan Stewart presenting for all the relevance some topics have to farming.
    In short, the programme has lost its focus, that's if it ever had one. Its probably not a farmers programme and we're only fooling ourselves thinking it is. TV3 did a much better job of 'A year on the land' IMV.

As for Ella, she's no Julia Bradbury..:cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 292 ✭✭jay gatsby

I hear ya on Julia! though she has a babby in tow now on her hiking trips.

who is julia bradbury:confused: there used to be a lovely looking lad presenting ettg a few years ago, i dont really watch it as much now as he's not there, he had blonde curly hair :)

• Registered Users Posts: 292 ✭✭jay gatsby

who is julia bradbury:confused: there used to be a lovely looking lad presenting ettg a few years ago, i dont really watch it as much now as he's not there, he had blonde curly hair :)

You'll get her on the Goo Whelan but she is a presenter on the BBC show Countryfile on Sunday evening. And in case people didn't pick it up from the previous posts-she is a babe

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jWnJ_T_oE88

Never have bluebells been so interesting!

Oh and that fella you're talking about Whelan is from Wexford, where else sure!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,495 ✭✭✭cjpm

....there used to be a lovely looking lad presenting ettg a few years ago, i dont really watch it as much now as he's not there, he had blonde curly hair :)
    6600 wrote: »

....that fella you're talking about Whelan is from Wexford, where else sure!

;);)

Fancy that Whelan1...
    ......you've the hots for a Yellow Belly!!:D

(No offence intended to Wexford folk - Just a bit of craic)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,296 ✭✭✭leg wax

Never have bluebells been so interesting!

Oh and that fella you're talking about Whelan is from Wexford, where else sure!
    he opened a restaraunt in the town of wex yes is that him.:confused:

Haven't seen it myself yet but i'm surprised that it was even about a dairy farmer tbh. Maybe they've changed their focus from previous series which were stuffed full of goat farms, "farmer's" markets, cheese making, open farms and similar bs.
    - Darragh does an intro saying something about the programme that brings the countryside into your sitting room, meh
    - Darragh does something vaguely about farming at the end to keep the farmers watching through the other tripe,

The producers of ETTG seem afraid or unable to cover real farming issues in any technical detail. They try to keep the urban viewer entertained while alienating the farmer viewer with their cringy music and simplistic treatment of complex topics.
    As for the presenters I doubt any of them (including Darragh!) have enough farming knowledge to present this programme. May as well be Duncan Stewart presenting for all the relevance some topics have to farming.
    In short, the programme has lost its focus, that's if it ever had one. Its probably not a farmers programme and we're only fooling ourselves thinking it is. TV3 did a much better job of 'A year on the land' IMV.

its trying to ape countryfile on the bbc , unfortunatley its copied the john craven parts rather than adam henson meaning its more about appealing to an urban audience by focusing on regular stuff which just happens to have a rural adress rather than focusing on the nuts and bolts of farming like cattle , crops etc , darragh could be doing a weekly report like henson from his own farm

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 308 ✭✭Bog Man 1

Where's the use, farming is a seven day week job;)

Its not and if it is you do not know how to run a farm.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,427 ✭✭✭Suckler

jay gatsby wrote: »
    You'll get her on the Goo Whelan but she is a presenter on the BBC show Countryfile on Sunday evening. And in case people didn't pick it up from the previous posts-she is a babe

Helen Carroll would be top of my wish list ;)

Last night was the first time I saw it in a long time. Some rugby player on first, no connection to farming other than his father is a farmer. Then Darragh was being tutored on first ploughing and he ended up competing at the ploughing championships, came in the top 10 interesting enough. Then the dairy farmer.

I suppose any of you whippersnappers on here don't remember landmark back in the 70's? Mart and market with Michael Dillon used to be no straight after with livestock prices. It was a lot more in touch with farming than ear to the ground. But back them audience numbers was not a problem as we only had one channel.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 521 ✭✭✭Atilathehun

Last night was the first time I saw it in a long time. Some rugby player on first, no connection to farming other than his father is a farmer. Then Darragh was being tutored on first ploughing and he ended up competing at the ploughing championships, came in the top 10 interesting enough. Then the dairy farmer.

I suppose any of you whippersnappers on here don't remember landmark back in the 70's? Mart and market with Michael Dillon used to be no straight after with livestock prices. It was a lot more in touch with farming than ear to the ground. But back them audience numbers was not a problem as we only had one channel.

Not quite correct. This rugby player, Sean O Brien, actually works the farm with his auld fella, on part time basis. And when he got his contract with Leinster Rugby, he invested in a brand new tractor. Fair play to him I say.

cjpm wrote: »
    ;);)

Fancy that Whelan1...
    ......you've the hots for a Yellow Belly!!:D

(No offence intended to Wexford folk - Just a bit of craic)
    always liked wexford people my mams from clonegal:D

Not quite correct. This rugby player, Sean O Brien, actually works the farm with his auld fella, on part time basis. And when he got his contract with Leinster Rugby, he invested in a brand new tractor. Fair play to him I say.

sean o brien is a muck savage and farmer 1st and foremost , he also plays rugby for ireland and frightens the bejaysus out of every other country

legend

• Advertisement

Just goes to show how much interest I had in that part of the episode. But they spent more time talking about rugby than farming.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,174 ✭✭✭✭Muckit

I agree with you, ETTG isn't really produced to appeal directly to the farmer. It's to give your average Joe and Mary on the street a polished view of what farming and rural life is all about.

However I wouldn't criticise it for doing that. And I wouldn't rate countryfile as being better than it. Where ETTG tries to squash as much as possible into 30min, Countryfile likes to drag the a*se out of everything, with it's american tv type snippets of 'what's to coming later' and don't get me started on 'One foot in the grave Craven' and the countryfile calendar!! They must advertise it about 20times during the programme. I know it's for a good cause, but come on!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,193 ✭✭✭✭Ash.J.Williams

Just goes to show how much interest I had in that part of the episode. But they spent more time talking about rugby than farming.

The ould fella, my brother and myself tuned in especially to see Sean O'Brien carrying calves around and throwing bales and other manly feats of strength....so we were bitterly disappointed with what we saw.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 258 ✭✭charityboy

cant help but notice the amount of people that watch ettg week in week out and are not gone on it :confused::confused: ,i think its a good advertisment for irish farming and produce ,if you show some fella wading through 2 foot of ****e to feed the cattle or sheep it might put off some people ,its not only farmers that drink milk and eat beef so i say fair play to them at least we are getting a mention somewhere with some good news mixed in and i cant leave out ella;)

charityboy wrote: »
    cant help but notice the amount of people that watch ettg week in week out and are not gone on it :confused::confused:

We all watch it every week in the dim hope that some interesting farming topic might be covered but are constantly disappointed but will watch again the next week. We're Irish and farmers, we're used to being ignored and put on the hind t*t.
    The producers must be non-farming types (it's obvious enough the presenters are), otherwise we would have seen Sean O'Brien's farm more or he may have been asked a few farming questions. That's just to use his interview as an example, all items are dealt with in the same way, i.e. no prior knowledge required.

I come back again to TV3's series earlier in the year, some of the shows were better than others but overall it was excellent compared to RTE's attempt.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,193 ✭✭✭✭Ash.J.Williams

We all watch it every week in the dim hope that some interesting farming topic might be covered but are constantly disappointed but will watch again the next week. We're Irish and farmers, we're used to being ignored and put on the hind t*t.
    The producers must be non-farming types (it's obvious enough the presenters are), otherwise we would have seen Sean O'Brien's farm more or he may have been asked a few farming questions. That's just to use his interview as an example, all items are dealt with in the same way, i.e. no prior knowledge required.
    There was actually nothing of worth at all in the sean o'brien interview about anything! Aparently the farming banter between himself and John Hayes on the the team bus is legendary!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 338 ✭✭ihatetractors

Tv 3 programs last spring put ettg to shame, not tv3's biggest fan but they were very good.
    Occasionaly watch BBC's countryfile, usualy something good on it and actualy educates people eg. recently did a piece on Modern dairy farming which apparently had joe public up in arms because they were given clear information, not tabloid thrype on farmers markets and occasional pictures of a cow or tractor :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,552 ✭✭✭pakalasa

Advertisement