Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Sea shells and drug users

• 09-11-2011 1:05am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 6,084 ✭✭✭

I happened to be in a crack den the other day. When I was there I noticed enormous amounts of sea shells scattered on the floor with some burnt and crushed. I'm no expert on drug paraphernalia and Google has been no help, so can any AHer tell me what the lads in the house were doing with the shells?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,517 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Crinklewood

Sea shells, sea shells before the seizure.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,582 ✭✭✭✭TheZohanS

Ashtrays.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,851 ✭✭✭Cill Dara Abu

Selling them by the sea shore of course.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,808 ✭✭✭Chris P. Bacon

You dont know how to use the shells, ha ha ha ha :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,387 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,647 ✭✭✭✭El Weirdo

For wiping your hole.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,297 ✭✭✭Jaxxy

The calming sounds of the ocean obviously helps with the comedown.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,016 ✭✭✭✭vibe666

cheaper than a glass crack pipe maybe?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,909 ✭✭✭✭Wertz

Maybe they like listening to the sound of the sea when they're high? :pac:

Nah if they're spiral type shells prolly using em as a pipe...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,084 ✭✭✭oppenheimer1

El Weirdo wrote: »
    For wiping your hole.

No I'm afraid I don't know how to use the shells :pac:

They weren't using them as ash trays, unless they were very tiny ash trays. These shells weren't the big old skool ash trays you'd see in the 70's. but little ones for mussels etc. The floors were covered in them, well in the rooms they hadn't shit in.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,808 ✭✭✭Chris P. Bacon

They weren't using them as ash trays, unless they were very tiny ash trays. These shells weren't the big old skool ash trays you'd see in the 70's. but little ones for mussels etc. The floors were covered in them, well in the rooms they hadn't shit in.

Why didnt you just ask them?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,158 ✭✭✭Arawn

And why exactly were you in a crack den??? It's not a place you just happen to end up in?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 789 ✭✭✭The Internet Explorer

Probably just some kind of artwork or collage or something. You know, making things with shells & sh*t. They're just expressing their feelings and emotions through shell based arts & crafts.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,406 ✭✭✭Pompey Magnus

Wild guess: They are used for heating heroin in when no spoons are available.

Why didnt you just ask them?

They weren't there. Probably should have said former crack den, but the place was still full on their shite (literally).

http://shenkitup.com/wp-content/uploads/shell.jpg these kind of shells, small ones.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,872 ✭✭✭strobe

I happened to be in a crack den the other day. When I was there I noticed enormous amounts of sea shells scattered on the floor with some burnt and crushed. I'm no expert on drug paraphernalia and Google has been no help, so can any AHer tell me what the lads in the house were doing with the shells?

Here's a hash pipe someone fashioned out of sea shells.

Maybe the same thing... although I wasn't aware crack heads had a reputation for being that creative.

Maybe it's a new thing they are getting into as possession of drug paraphernalia (glass crack pipes etc) is illegal in some US states but they could argue these were not necessarily crack pipes? Although I'm not sure crack heads would be that cautious or ingenious.

Which leads me back to Cill Dara's whole selling them by the seashore hypothesis...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,854 ✭✭✭Sinfonia

If they were all over the room, maybe it was so they could hear if anyone was walking through? An alarm system of sorts?
    Also, they might be able to see if any were broken while they were out, so the alarm system works by sight and sound!

Think I'm gonna go sell some seashells to crackheads.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,297 ✭✭✭Jaxxy

To understand the mind of a junkie, one must become a junkie. Go back to the crack den and make some friends OP.

Seriously though, there can be any reason as to why the shells were there. They could have spent the day at the beach and suddenly decided that bringing back lots of shells would be a fabulous or entrepreneurial concept. I once saw a junkie try to eat his own runner. Logic does not exist in their magical world. :(

Scallop shell is good for an ashtray but not a pipe...
    Maybe they were scallop fishermen to pay for their habit? Scallops are extensive...

• Registered Users Posts: 3,158 ✭✭✭Arawn

Maybe the drugs were inside the shells! Genius....

• Advertisement

Jaxxy wrote: »
    To understand the mind of a junkie, one must become a junkie. Go back to the crack den and make some friends OP.

Seriously though, there can be any reason as to why the shells were there. They could have spent the day at the beach and suddenly decided that bringing back lots of shells would be a fabulous or entrepreneurial concept. I once saw a junkie try to eat his own runner. Logic does not exist in their magical world. :(

Maybe I was looking at it from too logical point of view. I thought they might grind them up and use the crushed shells for something, try and get the calcuim carbonate out of them? (Would they need calcium carbonate?) Some of them were crushed, but then again that might have been due to people walking on them.

• Registered Users Posts: 814 ✭✭✭Tesco Massacre

Great opening line for a thread.

Arawn wrote: »
    Maybe the drugs were inside the shells! Genius....

Nah I'm pretty sure it was just the shellfish...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,751 ✭✭✭Saila

Sinfonia wrote: »
    If they were all over the room, maybe it was so they could hear if anyone was walking through? An alarm system of sorts?
    Also, they might be able to see if any were broken while they were out, so the alarm system works by sight and sound!

I see you have seen mission impossible too :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,587 ✭✭✭Pace2008

Maybe I was looking at it from too logical point of view. I thought they might grind them up and use the crushed shells for something, try and get the calcuim carbonate out of them? (Would they need calcium carbonate?)
    Calcium carbonate is trippy as ****, decent enough buzz but you'd be out of your biccy for hours.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,751 ✭✭✭Saila

she sells sea shells...in the crack den..... doesnt have the same ring though :(

Maybe they were using them as a primitive alarm system. Or maybe they were just avid shell collectors. Or probably as one poster pointed out, there is no reason.

I'd be disappointed if there was no reason though, I was thinking they could be entrepreneurial chemists, extracting some sort of high from the shells. Maybe my expectations were too high...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,725 ✭✭✭charlemont

I can imagine the headline in a week or two after some Guard reads this thread...

BEACH RUINED WITH DRUG PARAPHERNALIA
    shocking sea shells left behind by teen drug users

• Registered Users Posts: 814 ✭✭✭Tesco Massacre

It says on another website that lime-rich materials such as burnt seashells can help separate the alkaloids in purer versions of cocaine.

Maybe that's the reason?

• Advertisement

It says on another website that lime-rich materials such as burnt seashells can help separate the alkaloids in purer versions of cocaine.

Maybe that's the reason?

We might be getting closer to the answer, there were some burnt ones there. They must have been listening in chemistry class. No fools those Dublin junkies..

Surely handier to go out and nick a big bag of baking soda than all that f*cking around with shells...

• Registered Users Posts: 5,933 ✭✭✭Logical Fallacy

Where was the crack den in relation to the sea?

Because if the sea is close it's as simple as some lad hitting the pipe, going for a stroll and finding tiny creature all over the beach. They were helpless but had deep thoughts, so he made many trips to and from the beach to bring home the little fellas.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,010 ✭✭✭ringadingding

My guess is the shells were there pre crack den, and they tried to light them for a fire/ heat.

Cant see junkies physically bringing shells anywhere to be honest, and certainly not for some of the suggestions involving alkaloids, calcium or pure cocaine.

It's gonna be one of them things that annoy you OP, I have millions of these unanswered questions in my mind.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,151 ✭✭✭✭ejmaztec

My guess is the shells were there pre crack den, and they tried to light them for a fire/ heat.

Cant see junkies physically bringing shells anywhere to be honest, and certainly not for some of the suggestions involving alkaloids, calcium or pure cocaine.

It's gonna be one of them things that annoy you OP, I have millions of these unanswered questions in my mind.

If you asked them about it, they'd probably clam up.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,724 ✭✭✭The Scientician

Were they listening to that song from Trainspotting, you know the one, I think it was called "Mollusk for Life"?

• Advertisement

All these puns are un-conch-nable...

Welk, it was the best I could do at such short notice.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,867 ✭✭✭UglyBolloxFace

And you my friend are the winner of the inaugural 'Most Unexpected Opening Line To A Thread' Award. Congratulations.

You should hear his chat up lines.

ejmaztec wrote: »
    If you asked them about it, they'd probably clam up.

I LOL'd so hard I pulled a mussel

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 79 ✭✭HLecter

They probably figured if they already have crabs...

On a serious note, the junkies need to be put in their plaice

^
    A limpet effort

On a serious note, the junkies need to be put in their plaice

Christ you'd make a lobster blush with that one.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 924 ✭✭✭Elliemental

I tried Google to get an answer to OP's question, and first on the results page was this very thread. Ah well, wonders will never cease. :P

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,667 ✭✭✭Frynge

Was the crackden one they built themselves on a beach, perhaps.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,288 ✭✭✭TheUsual

Not saying that some of them were Chemistry graduates, but really junkies in Ireland are pretty useless and messed up all the time.
    I worked a country where the junkies were all on Coke and they never used heroin. They were a lot more fast, dangerous and smarter than heroin junkies.
    Bit of a shock for me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,779 ✭✭✭Spunge

My bro tried to buy a spoon in tesco but they wouldnt let him coz it might have been for drugs.

Maybe they were refused spoons.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,163 ✭✭✭✭danniemcq

from reading through this i think the 2 most likely are

1. A Warning ala mission impossible

and

2. Lad was tweaking and carried them back to house one by one.

Advertisement