Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Hagfish - Filmed using slime to fend off sharks

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,016 ✭✭✭✭vibe666

its mad stuff, saw it the other day.

its amazxing how quickly they can secret so much slime and the rather drastic effect the viscosity of it has on predators.

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,425 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

vibe666 wrote: »
    its mad stuff, saw it the other day.

its amazxing how quickly they can secret so much slime and the rather drastic effect the viscosity of it has on predators.

Ya, I think they can fill a bucket with slime in a few seconds. THey're not sure if the predators end up suffocating to death afterwards or if the slime clears out of the gills after a short while.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 30,746 ✭✭✭✭Galvasean

Where can I get me some of that slime for the net time I go diving with sharks? :)

What is that cool looking 'bearded' fish about 2 and a half minutes in?

I would very much doubt the slime suffocates the aggressors too often. It just seems a far too efficient way of killing off predators. At that rate surely there would be none left in no time!

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,425 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

Galvasean wrote: »
    Where can I get me some of that slime for the net time I go diving with sharks? :)

What is that cool looking 'bearded' fish about 2 and a half minutes in?

I would very much doubt the slime suffocates the aggressors too often. It just seems a far too efficient way of killing off predators. At that rate surely there would be none left in no time!

Good point. They're practically untouchable it seems.

I think the name of the fish pops up in the vid(if thats the one you mean?), it says Cirrhigaleus Australis which is apparently more commonly known as the Southern Mandarin Dogfish.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,279 ✭✭✭Adam Khor

There's been new findings on hagfish recently. To start with, it seems that they can absord nutrients through their skin (someone has even compared them to a swimming intestine):

http://www.wired.com/wiredscience/2011/03/hagfish-skin-eating/

And they are predatory as well as scavengers:

http://www.nature.com/srep/2011/111027/srep00131/full/srep00131.html

Check out the creature's amazing jaws! Wouldn´t look out of place on an alien creature's head:

srep00131-f1.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,321 ✭✭✭snowstreams

An extremely strange mouth alright. Reminds me of the mouth from http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Anomalocaris after watching David Attenboroughs first life. http://firstlifeseries.com/

• Registered Users Posts: 347 ✭✭Mr. Boo

Mickeroo wrote: »
    Ya, I think they can fill a bucket with slime in a few seconds. THey're not sure if the predators end up suffocating to death afterwards or if the slime clears out of the gills after a short while.

I remember being taught, back in fish biology 101, that they only need to secrete a small amount of slime and that it expands rapidly when mixed with seawater. Anyone else hear this?

Great video. Such a unique group of fish.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,700 ✭✭✭tricky D

Mr. Boo wrote: »
    I remember being taught, back in fish biology 101, that they only need to secrete a small amount of slime and that it expands rapidly when mixed with seawater. Anyone else hear this?

A little slime goes a long way video.

• Registered Users Posts: 620 ✭✭✭aidoh

Alot of people seem to think they're fish?

aidoh wrote: »
    Alot of people seem to think they're fish?

Aren't they technically classed as fish at the moment? But there's a lot of debate as to whether they should be(because they don't have a spine?), I think Lampreys are kind of in the same boat?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 620 ✭✭✭aidoh

I'm not sure really, but jaws didn't appear until the Devonian so there is up to 412 million years seperating lampreys and hagfishes and modern jawed fish/vertebrates in general. I'd only really extend 'fish' to sharks/rays etc. and to bony fish and that's it.
    You wouldn't consider birds and bats to be the same taxon just because they both have similar ecospaces (sometimes) and can both fly.

Lampreys use that same slime to digest food and sometimes when mating. They slime all over themselves and then wrap their body up in knots which pushes food through them. Weird creatures!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 30,746 ✭✭✭✭Galvasean

aidoh wrote: »
    and sometimes when mating. They slime all over themselves and then wrap their body up in knots

Nice :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,279 ✭✭✭Adam Khor

Galvasean wrote: »
    Nice :pac:

Haha what are you thinking? Or am I the dirty-minded one? XD

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,156 ✭✭✭Iwannahurl

Advertisement