Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Air Vents

• 09-11-2011 1:16am
    Registered Users Posts: 842 ✭✭✭

Need some advice on air vents. House built 2007. Dormer bungalow. Standard block construction. Master bedroom and child's bedroom downstairs are on the north part of the house. The headboards of both beds are on the same wall as the vents. When it's windy the rooms are hard to heat. Northerly winds quite cold. Obviously the vents can't be blocked. Does anyone have any practical solutions for this problem. I.E. let fresh air ventilate around the room without a gale of cold air blowing into the room.....

Suggestions appreciated.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,410 ✭✭✭bbam

You could restrict down the size. Get some inch and half pipe, insert into existing four inch pipe. Pack round with paper and replace the cover.

I know a friend who streached a piece of tightly woven cotton pillowcase over the inside of the grill and screwed back up the grill. Let's air through but not a gale.

Long term fix if it's your own house I'd recommend sealing them completely and fit trickle vents to the windows.
    Complies with regs, cheap, easily controlled and closed if required.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,300 ✭✭✭martinn123

bbam wrote: »
    You could restrict down the size. Get some inch and half pipe, insert into existing four inch pipe. Pack round with paper and replace the cover.

I know a friend who streached a piece of tightly woven cotton pillowcase over the inside of the grill and screwed back up the grill. Let's air through but not a gale.

Long term fix if it's your own house I'd recommend sealing them completely and fit trickle vents to the windows.
    Complies with regs, cheap, easily controlled and closed if required.

Retro fitting trickle vents to windows is not so simple.
    They can be in the frame, which would need to be routed out, and if its reinforced, problem.
    Alternatively if fitted to the glass, its new D/G units.

Try the pillowcase

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,399 ✭✭✭Kashkai

You could replace the existing vent with one that allows you to close it if the wind is blowing too strong. Then you open them when the wind dies down/changes direction. Simplest and cheapest solution imo.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 439 ✭✭North West

Hi cabledude
    Google stadium vents and look at page 6.
    nw

Advertisement