Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

I dont know what career I want- Please Help!

Options
  • 09-11-2011 1:36am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 8

I'm a 22 YO guy. Working since I left school. Currently working in a call centre job but seriously considering what I want to do in the future. I went to college for a short while doing a multi media course but it wasn't for me. I have general interests in sport, music etc but unsure of what exactly I want to do! Any ideas of anywhere I could go to get a perspective on this...or something. All posts welcome. Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 21,257 ✭✭✭✭Eoin

Post deleted, helpful replies only please.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,556 ✭✭✭Slunk

Exact same boat. Studied multi media and just worked average job for five years. 25 now and nothing to show for it. What i learned in college will be practically useless in this day an age. Your not alone and at least your 22 not 25 :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 Da Career Guy

Folks, There are various ways in which to look at what career you'd be most suitable for. So many of us fall into jobs never really thinking of what we really want or we are really suited to. Consider the following questions.
    1) What do I really enjoy doing, what motivates you?
    2) What are your strengths or talents?
    3) What areas do you struggle with?
    4) What are you good at?
    5) What are your talents?
    6) Do you know how your personality traits and how these can really impact on your success and enjoyment of any career.

There are some great resources available free on the web that may point you in a more suitable career direction. Some I suggest clients look at include http://www.careersportal.ie/careerplanning/self_assessment.php

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8 Dermos11

At least that :), Ah I'm sure we will find something!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,260 ✭✭✭Irish_Elect_Eng

It is hard to advise someone without knowing them, but there are some things that you can do to help yourself.

Start by determining what type of personality you have, you can do this by taking one of many good personality type tests. Then knowing your personality type you can look at the general types of jobs that suit people with your personality.

Just suggestion of somewhere to start.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 50 ✭✭jkwxez12yrdgbq

If/when you do have a career in mind, it's a really good idea to talk to someone working in that field. Ask them about the reality of the job as quite often this can be different (in both good and bad ways) to what you think it might be.

I decided to leave my job a year ago to retrain as a vet and before i quit my old job I used some of my holidays to do work experience with a vet. Best thing I ever did! Had also done the same thing in a kitchen as I was considering becoming a chef. Confirmed to me that while I love cooking, there's no way I could do it professionaly.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,260 ✭✭✭Irish_Elect_Eng

Myers-Briggs Personality Test.

Not Perfect but a good choice.

• Registered Users Posts: 34 bain_triail_as

American labour market projections. http://www.bls.gov/emp/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,572 ✭✭✭msg11

Not alone either, 21 coming on 5 years in the same place. Dunno what to do, idealy I would like to join the Garda. But with this recession and all that plan looks too be out the window for a while.

Can't live of 20 hours a week for the rest of my life :(

Ah look it things aren't that bad. Mate of mine interested in joining the guards aswell. He recently joined the Garda reserves, Volunteering a few hours a week ya know. He likes it anyways, Might be something to look at...

• Advertisement

Sound, Great advice. Yea, Must defo do one of those tests.

Advertisement