Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Did you ever have your seat taken on a bus.

2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,567 ✭✭✭✭Fratton Fred

Buy a plastic dog turd from a joke shop and leave that on your seat.

It is also very handy to leave next to you so you can have a double seat as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 222 ✭✭mecco

Hasmunch wrote: »
    Ah never realised that. What is the equivalent saying for the rest of the country?
    TheZohan wrote: »
    Well the rest of the English speaking world would say "let him away"...

Well the rest of the English speaking world is obviously incorrect!! But we'll leave them away with it sure.. ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,659 ✭✭✭Siuin

Anyways when I got back this Italian couple were sitting where I was previously, my jacket was put into the shelf overhead,

They're Italians- you need to speak to them using their social etiquitte, which involves a great deal of gesticulation and vaffanculos.

Nah but don't mess with him. You'll find a horse's head in your bed.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,406 ✭✭✭Pompey Magnus

Siuin wrote: »
    Nah but don't mess with him. You'll find a horse's head in your bed.

Or even worse, they will have taken over your bed while you were away...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,102 ✭✭✭mathie

Yeh but its wrong, dont remove someones jacket from their seat, this usually signifies that this seat is actually taken.

Maybe the Italian guy saw it and thought it wasn't a jacket as it didn't look like a two-foot thick lagging jacket?

Or even worse, they will have taken over your bed while you were away...

The Italian solution? Take over his wife ;)

Damn foreigners.... taking our seats and our women.

They can have our women, so we can have theirs :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,035 ✭✭✭✭Stark

We went in a few minutes before the film was to start and there was just one old woman, at least 75 I'd guess, in the entire room (it wasn't a very big room mind). We just sat anywhere but after us a middle age couple arrived in and the guy went up to the old woman and said "Sorry but I think you must have taken the wrong seat by mistake"...normally I ignore stuff like that but the pure lack of cop on from him meant I had to shout back to tell him there were plenty of free seats for him. There is a big difference between being reasonable and being a dick.

What happens though when the next person comes in and he's taken their seat?

As for the OP, the phrase "would you jump into my grave as quick?" comes to mind. Like if I was on a train and I got up to go to the bathroom, I'd be pretty piss if I came back to find someone had jumped in my seat.

Stark wrote: »
    What happens though when the next person comes in and he's taken their seat?

This was about 2 minutes before the film was due to start and the cinema was 95% empty, it was never going to be an issue. By the time the film did start there was no more than 10 people in there.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,102 ✭✭✭mathie

This was about 2 minutes before the film was due to start and the cinema was 95% empty, it was never going to be an issue. By the time the film did start there was no more than 10 people in there.

Clearly it could have been.

So you think just one dick could walk into a cinema.
    But two dicks? Thats never going to happen.

The world is full of dicks. It's also full of pu55ies and a55holes but that's another story.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,976 ✭✭✭Brendog

I once saw a guy in a wheelchair have his seat taken....

They can have our women, so we can have theirs :)

Lol! Ireland is the only place that instead of "Damn those foreigners taking our wimmins" they're saying "Take them, but for the love of God leave your own!"

As a woman who has been taken by a forn-nuuuur I fully support this policy :P Yay for the next generation of sexy hyphanated Irish peoples!

mathie wrote: »
    Clearly it could have been.

So you think just one dick could walk into a cinema.
    But two dicks? Thats never going to happen.

If someone did come in and tell him to move then I wouldn't have been too bothered and would have let them resolve it among themselves, the only reason I got involved was because this tool decided he'd rather move a lone elderly woman than just take one of the free seats in an almost empty room.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,185 ✭✭✭Ridley

If someone did come in and tell him to move then I wouldn't have been too bothered and would have let them resolve it among themselves, the only reason I got involved was because this tool decided he'd rather move a lone elderly woman than just take one of the free seats in an almost empty room.

If it's reserved seating then he's in the right over the geriatric seat-thief. :p

Ridley wrote: »
    If it's reserved seating then he's in the right over the geriatric seat-thief. :p

Well all that would mean is that he is dick who happens to be in the right by the letter of the law. I'm still going to call him up on just how much of a dick he is though!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 517 ✭✭✭rich.d.berry

I agree with the OP that it is bad form to remove someone's jacket from a seat.

I've had something similar happen to me on the train. I take my bicycle on the train and occasionally I will need to move my bicycle if it's in the outer rack so that the person who's bicycle is on the inner rack can get there's out.

So, I got up to move my bicycle, left my hi-vis cycling jacket on the seat with my mobile phone in the pocket. I let the other cyclist out and then as I was putting my bicycle back in the rack I let a couple past who were getting on. I followed back down the aisle to my seat and saw with disbelief how he picked my jacket up off the seat and reached to put it in the overhead storage. I said, hey that's my jacket, I was sitting there. His reply was "Here's your jacket" and he threw my jacket to me. My phone came out of the pocket and went flying, hit the floor, battery and cover flew off. He calmly starts sitting down as if nothing had happened. If it wasn't for the intervention of other passengers I would have laid into him. One guy physically held me back because he could see that I'd lost it and I was going to smack the w@nker. I can feel my anger returning just posting about it.

Anyway, while I was shouting and cursing at the rude arsehole that he was, another person picked up the phone and put it back together for me. Fortunately, despite being a touch screen phone which can be quite fragile, it wasn't broken. The kindness of the other passengers defused the situation and helped me regain my temper. Also, the little b0ll0x got told his fortune by a number of people.

If anything like that happens to me again, and someone moves my jacket and takes my seat, I'll not make a fuss about the jacket or the seat. I'll pick up the jacket, rummage through the pockets and say "it seems that when you moved my jacket you dropped my weekly train ticket from my pocket". (You can also substitute wallet/phone/keys etc.). They will have to get up so that I can look, because obviously I'll not take their word for it that it cannot be found, and as they move out to let me search I'll calmly sit back down in my seat. End of!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,341 ✭✭✭Batsy

I nearly had my seat taken on the bus just last week.

I was sat downstairs on one of the closest seats to the front. An old lady got on, showed her bus pass to the driver, came over to me and asked me if I would be kind enough to let her sit there.

But the bus was full, there were no other places to sit, so I told her that I'm not standing up throughout the journey and that I am staying put. So she had to stand up instead.

Some people just have to learn some manners and not try to take other people's seats.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,325 ✭✭✭ItsAWindUp

Batsy wrote: »
    I nearly had my seat taken on the bus just last week.

I was sat downstairs on one of the closest seats to the front. An old lady got on, showed her bus pass to the driver, came over to me and asked me if I would be kind enough to let her sit there.

But the bus was full, there were no other places to sit, so I told her that I'm not standing up throughout the journey and that I am staying put. So she had to stand up instead.

Some people just have to learn some manners and not try to take other people's seats.

I hope you feel proud for that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 517 ✭✭✭rich.d.berry

ItsAWindUp wrote: »
    I hope you feel proud for that.

It was a wind-up :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,348 ✭✭✭✭starlit

No but I had my seat taken on a train.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,528 ✭✭✭foxyboxer

doovdela wrote: »
    No but I had my seat taken on a train.

I always book my train seat under a pseudonym online.

"Excuse me, you're not Hans Gruber/Peter O'Toole/Jeremy Clarkson are you?"

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,985 ✭✭✭Dunny

They took our seeaattss

rabble rabble

• Registered Users Posts: 148 ✭✭Shiner11

Maybe you hopped back onto the wrong bus?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,187 ✭✭✭psychward

There are muppets everywhere. I was in a bar in Dublin with my girlfriend and her impractical high heels were giving her some bother so we went to a huge row of seats, 15 to 20 empty places with only 2 people sitting there and a pile of jackets all over them. As she went so sit down the 2 blokes sitting down said : 'theres somebody sitting there.'' I snapped back at them that we had been dancing next to those seats for 2 hours and nobody had sat there the whole time. And we sat down anyway. Another hour later still nobody was sitting there.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,348 ✭✭✭✭starlit

foxyboxer wrote: »
    I always book my train seat under a pseudonym online.

"Excuse me, you're not Hans Gruber/Peter O'Toole/Jeremy Clarkson are you?"

I had my seat booked but was a bit late checking in so lost my seat. Had to sit somewhere else despite paying the booking seat fee. It was a limerick train so doesn't have the name displayed on the digital screen on those those trains so lost the seat wholesale.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 745 ✭✭✭csi vegas

Anyways when I got back this Italian couple were sitting where I was previously, my jacket was put into the shelf overhead
    philstar wrote: »
    have any of you come accross the italian bloke trying to flog off leather jackets, saying he has a flight to catch and he needs to sell them off before he leaves the country.

If your jacket was leather it may not have been good quality, so it wasn't much use to him. THAT'S why he stuffed it overhead. Get a better jacket next time and at least it will be sold on and appreciated, unlike you who don't seem to like it much.
    If on the other hand your jacket wasn't leather, he just didn't like it either.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 461 ✭✭ballsacky

Hehe,once.

Advertisement