Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Motorbike peeps... need a tip or two...

• 09-11-2011 1:50am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 4

hey

I need to buy a motorbike helmet for my brother - I accidentally broke his ages ago and want to buy him a new one for crimbo.. the yare sooooo expensive! i asked around and I want to get him an Arai chaser camouflage or arai chaser samurai in a medium.... is there anywere I can get a reasonable price without having to pay 600 euro??

Not too sure about buying online..

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,683 ✭✭✭✭Owen

There's a dedicated Motorbike forum, this one's the car forum. The mod's probably move it for you. You cannot spend too little on a Helmet, seriously. It's the one thing that'll save a rider's life. I've always spent between 400-600 Euro on a good lid and thankfully I've never had to rely on it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,925 ✭✭✭pudzey101

Wrong tread man :)

But yeah u need to pay $$$ if you want a good one :)

Cheaping out will have its consequences :rolleyes:

Better safe than sorry.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 Mairea k

True.. just some are alot cheaper and makes you wonder the difference... Ill take it to a different thread thing... im new eeeek!

Cheers doh :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,106 ✭✭✭✭TestTransmission

Thread moved

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,288 ✭✭✭TheUsual

Yeah I know what you mean about the price ... I use this place in Newry in Northern Ireland. Here is their website :
    http://thevisorshop.com/acatalog/Helmets.html

They post the helmet to you.

The prices are in Sterling (£) so you need to convert to Euro but they are great value.
    What I do is phone them and ask if they have last years stock left at a good price and you can get helmets from 100 Euro upwards. I got a good deal on a nice Arai that was 2009 model so out of date but it doesn't matter for safety. Just style. Was only £250.

All helmets that they sell will have a European safety test standard - they are all good to wear but of course the more expensive ones are more comfortable and are less noisy.

You could maybe ask your brother what he wants or maybe give him a voucher to let him pick himself, but Visorshop are great value for me anyway.

I have bought one from Britain before too and that was 200 euro cheaper.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 403 ✭✭Humans eh!

TheUsual wrote: »
    Yeah I know what you mean about the price ... I use this place in Newry in Northern Ireland. Here is their website :
    http://thevisorshop.com/acatalog/Helmets.html

The prices are in Sterling (£) so you need to convert to Euro but they are great value.
    What I do is phone them and ask if they have last years stock left at a good price and you can get helmets from 100 Euro upwards. I got a good deal on a nice Arai that was 2009 model so out of date but it doesn't matter for safety. Just style. Was only £250.

All helmets that they sell will have a European safety test standard - they are all good to wear but of course the more expensive ones are more comfortable and are less noisy.

You could maybe ask your brother what he wants or maybe give him a voucher to let him pick himself, but Visorshop are great value for me anyway.

I have bought one from Britain before too and that was 200 euro cheaper.

Good advice there, all helmets must reach certain durability and safety levels, materials, style comfort and noise levels ratchet up the price, an ill fitting noisy helmet can be dangerously distracting and bug the crap out of you for years, so you basically get what you pay for.

BTW your hunchback assistant Igor charges over a grand for a new fresh(ish) brain if you damage your present one...no warranty
    And you have to pay to get it fitted! :eek:

So whatever you spend on a lid is an investment.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,031 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

Mairea k wrote: »
    hey

I need to buy a motorbike helmet for my brother - I accidentally broke his ages ago and want to buy him a new one for crimbo.. the yare sooooo expensive! i asked around and I want to get him an Arai chaser camouflage or arai chaser samurai in a medium.... is there anywere I can get a reasonable price without having to pay 600 euro??

Not too sure about buying online..

It doesn't mater how much you spend on the lid if it doesn't fit.

Make sure your brother is with you when buying the helmet to get it properly sized for his head.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,907 ✭✭✭✭CJhaughey

If he had an Arai Chaser and the fit is good then its easy just buy the same helmet again.
    They are pretty reasonable in the UK the Samurai is 269 stg.
    The reason that helmets are so expensive here is that 21.5%VAT is charged on them. In the UK they have 0% vat on helmets as they are considered essential safety equipment.
    Make sure you complain to your local TD about this glaring anomaly.
    You buy anything else like steel cap boots. safety helmets etc and its 0% Vat here.
    but not bike helmets.:rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,026 ✭✭✭Wossack

Used thevisorshop and topgearsuperstore.com in the past. Good experiences with both iirc

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,498 ✭✭✭BrokenArrows

pudzey101 wrote: »
    Wrong tread man :)

But yeah u need to pay $$$ if you want a good one :)

Cheaping out will have its consequences :rolleyes:

Better safe than sorry.

Safety wise there is not a huge amount of difference between a cheap and an expensive helmet. They all need to pass safety standards to be sold in the EU.

The extra €€€ you will be paying will be for comfort, style, paint job, visor quality, wind resistance, ventalation etc etc.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 10,898 ✭✭✭✭seanybiker

Del2005 wrote: »

Make sure your brother is with you when buying the helmet to get it properly sized for his head.
    or swap heads with him till you have the size checked

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,397 ✭✭✭Paparazzo

Safety wise there is not a huge amount of difference between a cheap and an expensive helmet. They all need to pass safety standards to be sold in the EU.

The extra €€€ you will be paying will be for comfort, style, paint job, visor quality, wind resistance, ventalation etc etc.

Yeah, absolutely no need to spend 600 on an Arai.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,421 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

Del2005 wrote: »

This.

I'd never buy a helmet without trying it on, even if it was the same make and size as one I had before, the fit can change.

A helmet that doesn't fit properly is more or less useless.

Scrap the cap!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,180 ✭✭✭Interceptor

This.

'cptr

Advertisement