Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Advice on moving house with old dog

• 09-11-2011 2:14am
    Registered Users Posts: 118 ✭✭

Hey guys, just looking for a bit of advice;

I live in a rented property close to my college. At home(Home home, not college home) we have a 13 y/o half blind/half deaf/heart murmur-y/arthritis-y doggie who has gone pretty senile over the past while.

Despite all of that, he is full of the joys of life still and seems to be having the time of his life staring at the walls and getting stuck in completely random pieces of furniture around the house.

But. My parents are going on a long trip to australia next march (for 5 weeks) and aren't completely certain of what to do with poor Oscar. I will be on mid term for a week so i can be home to mind him for then. Here are the details:

- One brother will be living there but working 9 - 6 every day. He's also useless at looking after himself, let alone the dog (his little walk/feeding/daily medication/making sure he doesn't get out etc..)

Kennels aren't really an option... At his age, Oscar is quite high maintenance and it just wouldn't be fair to him.

- In my student house - My lease says we are not allowed keep pets.. Would this be a problem?

There will generally be someone in the house, he will only be alone for a couple of hours max. My housemates love my dog and are happy for him to stay.

How would I minimise the stress of moving him to my house?
    He gets all paranoid if his bed or bowl get moved, i'd wonder how he would cope with a whole upheaval!

Also he has a dog flap at home for constant access to the garden. Is there a way i could teach him to "ask" to be let out for toilet-time?

Any advice would be really appreciated!

Sorry about the long post, its just I'm already a bit worried about this whole thing and its not for another 4 months!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,324 ✭✭✭JustAThought

Aaaw; poor you it must be so worrying & you must really love your dog ; bet he appreciates it!

If s/he gets upset when you move the bowl / routine & she's getting stuck in familiar places (!!) & is used to a cat flap to pee & roam outside at will it could be a lot leas stressful for her (& you!) to get someone I to your folks house to do a bit of dog sitting.
    If you re going to be there ( midterm) & your hopeless brother will be there from after 6 would a neighbour drop in to watch TV & have coffee with her for a few hours a day mid afternoon?

If yourbrother holds down a full time job he should be able to prioritise the pet too; sounds s bit like a cop out on his part :(

Your flat mates sound great, but if the dog can't make it to the loo & goes on the carpet- bed etc & it costs them a deposit or a couple of hundred for carpet cleaning after your landlord sees it, they might not be so keen. Maybe you could get them to help with the dog sitting in your folks place ( is it far away!?) or BT bringing you the notes from college when you muss it to mind fido !?

You sound like you really live the dog : )
    Has she been to your flat for a few days to get used to it/ try it out?

Very best of luck.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,010 ✭✭✭marley123

Why don't you try someone who "minds from their home" this would be less stressful ..

• Registered Users Posts: 118 ✭✭Smeefa

If your brother holds down a full time job he should be able to prioritise the pet too; sounds s bit like a cop out on his part :(

BT bringing you the notes from college when you muss it to mind fido !?

Very best of luck.

Thanks for the post, my bro can hardly look after himself, wouldnt risk leaving the poor dog with him! Can't miss college, far too heavy a workload and cant miss labs etc :(
    marley123 wrote: »
    Why don't you try someone who "minds from their home" this would be less stressful ..

Ill have a chat with the parents and suggest that, what would you reckon the price range would be? I know you probably cant give me a proper answer for that but even a really vague figure would be really appreciated!

Thanks again guys!

Advertisement