Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

oops? what did I press?

Options
  • 09-11-2011 4:07am
    Registered Users Posts: 14,694 ✭✭✭✭

Now this could all be nonesense and what not but I rather check and be sure then assume the worse and move on.

My machine:

AMD PHENOM II X4 955 (3.20GHz/8MB CACHE/AM3) - BLACK EDITION
    Motherboard ASUS® M4A87TD/USB3: DUAL DDR3,SATA 6.0GB/s, USB 3.0
    Memory (RAM) 4GB SAMSUNG DDR3 DUAL-DDR3 1333MHz (2 X 2GB)
    Graphics Card 1GB NVIDIA GEFORCE GTX 560 Ti

anyway the advertising for the board makes some big deal about easy 1 switch overclocking and opening up all the cores etc etc.

I considered most of it nonsense and in its standard form the machine was miles ahead of my prior pc and it ran BF3 in ultra at the resolution I was comfortable with.

anyway on the boot screen it always advertises this feature to press 4 to activate core unlocker and today out of curiosity I pressed it. It now says 3 cores unlocked with a big 3X symbol.

here's an article explaining it from yonks ago: http://www.hardocp.com/article/2010/07/06/asus_m4a89gtd_prousb3_motherboard_review/6

Problem is since I've done that my BF3 has been acting weird, having strange frame rate plunges every 5 or so minutes. I have render.fps up and I was prior to this a steady 60-80 fps now its almost static at 60 and drops down to 14 every now and then for short periods before racing back up to 60.

Now its one of two things and I really hope its this. That I have somehow turned off my 4th core by using this outdated core unlocker and I have no idea how to turn it back on or worse my chip cant handle being overclocked like this and is struggling.

Is this right? Does anyone know how to turn it off so I can compare?

The other possibility is that origin did get an update today and its something that was corrected to help the thousands of whingers on the forum that has now put me out as I had no problems with my game until today.

I really hope it isnt though cause I cant deal with that :(

Comments

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 4,281 Mod ✭✭✭✭deconduo

One quick way to check is to press Ctrl-Shift-Esc and look at the performance tab to see if all cores are running.

If thats the case its possible that the core unlocker downclocks your cores or something for stability, so getting CPU-Z to check might be a good idea.

Last thing to do would be to find your motherboard manual from the ASUS site and work out how to turn of the ACC.

Advertisement