Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Is there much call for old style bikes ?

• 09-11-2011 8:00am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 261 ✭✭

Hi ,I was just wondering is there much demand for the old style steel frame bikes ,say from the 70's ?
    In the last few months I've been offered several bikes in houses I was working in and refused because I had nowhere to put them. One was even a mint condition tandam.

Maybe they could be put to use by someone ? ,I think the tandam was taken by a family member when I said I'd no room for it :cool:

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,748 ✭✭✭Bluefoam

There is a trend for building up old frames and rescuing old parts.

Old frames with horizontal drop outs are sought after as they can be turned into single speed or fixed gear bikes. They don't go for very big money, but will earn a few bob if they are the right type of frame. On the other hand, some frames are very sought after, such as vintage eddie merckx or bob jackson...

If they are of no value to you or others, it might be worth donating them to Rothar, who build bikes from old parts and are a not for proffit organisation...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 261 ✭✭Wheely GR8

Bluefoam wrote: »
    If they are of no value to you or others, it might be worth donating them to Rothar, who build bikes from old parts and are a not for proffit organisation...

Thanks bluefoam ,I might pop into rothar and ask them what they're looking for and sure at least I can tell people about them then.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 25,295 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

Moved to main forum as it is not an advert.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,450 ✭✭✭Harrybelafonte

Wheely GR8 wrote: »
    Thanks bluefoam ,I might pop into rothar and ask them what they're looking for and sure at least I can tell people about them then.

Racing/Touring Tandem? I'm looking for one of those for awhile. Do you think it'd still be available?

There are people on here always looking for vintage bikes. I'd recommend putting up what you've been offered and someone might take it off your hands. As much as I'd second Bluefoam's recommendation of Rothar, they don't collect and very often people get a bit lazy about the bike and end up just chucking it instead of bringing it somewhere.

• Registered Users Posts: 32 dub56

Check out L'eroica,a race/tour held every October in Tuscany.All bikes must be
    pre 1987 vintage.There was an article in last weeks Irish Times about it,in fact it's still on their web site to-day.After reading it,I thought,I'm going to do this
    next year and am now looking to pick up an old bike that would be suitable.
    There seems to be a market out there for these bikes as there are a few web sites offering them.
    I used to ride a Bob Jackson myself back in the day,wish I had kept it.:mad:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,625 ✭✭✭happytramp

You should take them and put them up here for sale. As long as you ask for reasonable money you'll sell them. Of course the cheaper they are the quicker they'll sell. Any that don't sell you can give to Rothar.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,867 ✭✭✭Tonyandthewhale

What line of work are you in that has people offering you free bikes?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 261 ✭✭Wheely GR8

Its construction I'm in and usually people who make the offers are old cycling vets who can tell I've an interest in it.
    I wouldn't sell anything on and wouldn't take a bike unless I told the owner where it was going first.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,522 ✭✭✭hesker

I have an interest in maintaining and riding old bikes. Currently have a 1952 Carlton Racer that I'm putting back together. If you come across any old bikes I'd be interested in giving them a good home.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 468 ✭✭VanhireBoys

Thes lads are in the UK.. Website goes live next week.. I came on them by pure chance and got myself sommit very very very nice for cheap ..! I will post up when I get the frame and get it built....I came on tem by pure chance

From talking on the phone they have bikes from 50's- 90's and all the associated cant be got bits....

Not live yet but worth a ring...
    http://vintagebikecave.com/

• Advertisement
Advertisement