Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Should I ask Tenant to take the smaller room?

Options
  • 09-11-2011 9:14am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,584 ✭✭✭

So Guys I have a tennant renting from me for near on 3.5 years now. I was getting 400 for the room then she lost her job and I agreed to give some breathing space. In the end i dropped the rent down to 350 then to 300 and then to 285(RENT SUPPLEMENT so in effect she lives with me for free) . As we all know this has been cut back and will probably be cut back again with this next budget. The Problem is she has the biggest room in the house and its en-suite. That room was my main rent earner for years. I had a call from a guy looking for a room, who will pay me 350 for the room but needs the big room/ensuite.
    Rent supplement is 285 per month. Would it be lousy of me to ask her if she wouldnt mind taking the smaller double room. I dont want to seem a tight git as she is my longest tennant and does not cause me any hassle (apart from having to HOUND her to pay bills)
    Then again Im not exactly loaded either.
    So Would you continue to go along with the 285 per month, or nicely explain to her that I really need that extra 70 Euro per month and ask her to take the smaller room

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,041 ✭✭✭who the fug

Do you share the house with her ?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,504 ✭✭✭wicklowwonder

ronan45 wrote: »
    So Guys I have a tennant renting from me for near on 3.5 years now. I was getting 400 for the room then she lost her job and I agreed to give some breathing space. In the end i dropped the rent down to 350 then to 300 and then to 285(RENT SUPPLEMENT so in effect she lives with me for free) . As we all know this has been cut back and will probably be cut back again with this next budget. The Problem is she has the biggest room in the house and its en-suite. That room was my main rent earner for years. I had a call from a guy looking for a room, who will pay me 350 for the room but needs the big room/ensuite.
    Rent supplement is 285 per month. Would it be lousy of me to ask her if she wouldnt mind taking the smaller double room. I dont want to seem a tight git as she is my longest tennant and does not cause me any hassle (apart from having to HOUND her to pay bills)
    Then again Im not exactly loaded either.
    So Would you continue to go along with the 285 per month, or nicely explain to her that I really need that extra 70 Euro per month and ask her to take the smaller room

Move her to the smaller room, looks like you have been very considerate of her situation she should show you the same respect.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,584 ✭✭✭ronan45

Do you share the house with her ?

Hi Fug yes i do

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,986 ✭✭✭✭mikemac

Yes, move her

• Registered Users Posts: 4,041 ✭✭✭who the fug

ronan45 wrote: »
    Hi Fug yes i do

So it be a balance of an Extra €70 against living with some body who may become a compelete pain in the arse.

I would have said leave her where she was, till you mentioned chasing her for Bills.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 145 ✭✭Carriexx

I would talk to her tell her the situation - you would have an extra income of €350 a month - who couldnt do with that at the moment - maybe only take 250 off her for rent thrn and the additional 35 towards bills??

Carriexx wrote: »
    I would talk to her tell her the situation - you would have an extra income of €350 a month - who couldnt do with that at the moment - maybe only take 250 off her for rent thrn and the additional 35 towards bills??

Well 280 is the minimum i would need even for the smaller room. She allready owes me payment on her last few bills (280 odd due). She sends a lot of her dole money 180 per week abroad (supposedly has kids in school back home that need her support) I never saw any evidence of this of course lol ;)
    Nice to see where the tax payers money goes huh

• Registered Users Posts: 8,394 ✭✭✭Ray Palmer

You ask her to move and explain that it seem reasonable. If she doesn't take it well then I would think she is being very unreasonable. You have been very nice to her.
    She effectively has to live within her means you shouldn't have to subsidise her which is effectively what you are doing at the moment. Now you would be subsidise her and also losing money, it just not reasonable.

If you lived with her this long you must have a fair amount of respect for each other

Upshot was . Asked her very politlely is she wouldnt mind moving. Looked blankly at me for a few seconds. Explained i needed the cash. Moved in. Few Sarky comments since about the room being colder and nearer the kitchen so noisier. But sure you get what ya pay for.
    So its all good. Thanks for the input everyone:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,869 ✭✭✭odds_on

Nice to see a poster reporting the outcome after advice on boards.ie

My own Lodger license Agreement states:

This Licence
    1.1 is non-assignable and is personal to the Licensee (it cannot be transferred to another person) who is a licensee and shall not have exclusive possession of the Room or any part of the Property.
    1.2 the Landlord reserves the right to move the Licensee to another room should the need arise or by mutual consent.

It is always best to have a written and signed agreement whether letting a property or a room in the owner's home. Also, with a lodger or licensee, it is advisable to have some "house rules" so that everyone knows what's what.

• Advertisement
Advertisement