Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Spuds in containers

Options
  • 09-11-2011 10:48am
    Registered Users Posts: 2,730 ✭✭✭

Hi - I'm planning on growing some of my spuds in containers next year. Especially earlies in a tunnel. But looking at using so much shop-bought multipurpose compost to earth them up, I reckon it would cost a fortune. Has anyone used another medium that works out cheaper?
    Cheers

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 947 ✭✭✭fodda

Mix mostly clean sand compost and horse manure for your pots, this will lower costs and is exactly the same as spuds grown on islands and some costal areas (without the seaweed) unless you can get it.

Do not use plastic pots/containers.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,730 ✭✭✭redser7

Thanks a lot fodda, that's a great help. What do you mean by clean sand compost? Also I am close to a beach so I can get washed up seaweed. Do you think it could work if I did a few inches of multipurpose compost in the base with some Fish blood and bone mixed in and then use the seaweed on its own for earthing up?
    What not plastic? Because of chemical leaching or something?
    Thanks

Clean sand would be when its delivered and not old building sand.

You are laughing if you are near a beach as long as you are allowed to take it:rolleyes:;):)

Beach sand and fresh seaweed will produce island spuds and then when the spuds have finished with it you can use the same old mix for the best of carrots and parsnips which will grow to very long lentghs.

Plastic is reported to leak out and be absorbed by the veg.........so use natural tubs like untreated wood or terracota etc.......old oak barrels cut in half used to make great tubs if you can get em.

Fantastic, I'll be trying this so. Yeah as long as the seaweed is washed up it can be taken. But not sand, really bad natural erosion going on.
    Thanks alot

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,871 ✭✭✭Corsendonk

fodda wrote: »
    Clean sand would be when its delivered and not old building sand.

You are laughing if you are near a beach as long as you are allowed to take it:rolleyes:;):)

Beach sand and fresh seaweed will produce island spuds and then when the spuds have finished with it you can use the same old mix for the best of carrots and parsnips which will grow to very long lentghs.

Plastic is reported to leak out and be absorbed by the veg.........so use natural tubs like untreated wood or terracota etc.......old oak barrels cut in half used to make great tubs if you can get em.

Its illegal AFAIK unless the Minister of Finance gives you permission.

Using old car and truck tires is a great way to create containers of different heights and sizes quickly for growing spuds.

• Advertisement

Corsendonk wrote: »

Using old car and truck tires is a great way to create containers of different heights and sizes quickly for growing spuds.

Sorry old car and truck tyres are def a no-no as the chemicals in those has reportedly been found to leak and get absorbed by the veg.

Sorry old car and truck tyres are def a no-no as the chemicals in those has reportedly been found to leak and get absorbed by the veg.

Any scientific reports on this? Whats the risk level? Months? Years? Tens of Years to have an effect? Its the balance between recycling and acceptable risk.

Oak Barrells arn't cheap to come by and how do you know what was stored in them before you use them?

Any scientific reports on this? Whats the risk level? Months? Years? Tens of Years to have an effect? Its the balance between recycling and acceptable risk.

Oak Barrells arn't cheap to come by and how do you know what was stored in them before you use them?

Yes plenty. Bit obvious really when a tyre was made for vehicle use and not to have wet soil and plants sucking up nutrients stuck inside them for months on end.

Here's just 2 to read.

http://www.ardeacon.com/pdf/Assessment_Environmental_Toxicity_Report.pdf

http://www.puyallup.wsu.edu/~Linda%20Chalker-Scott/Horticultural%20Myths_files/Myths/Rubber%20mulch.pdf

Well the minister for finance gets enough of me. So I'll take the dead rotting seaweed. Open to arguements on ecological grounds, otherwise I'll take the risk. But thanks for the warning.

Yes plenty. Bit obvious really when a tyre was made for vehicle use and not to have wet soil and plants sucking up nutrients stuck inside them for months on end.

Here's just 2 to bore you rigid.

http://www.ardeacon.com/pdf/Assessment_Environmental_Toxicity_Report.pdf

http://www.puyallup.wsu.edu/~Linda%20Chalker-Scott/Horticultural%20Myths_files/Myths/Rubber%20mulch.pdf

The two links are primarily concerned with tires ground up and there uses in recreational and landscape, were hugh quantities of tire material would be used not whole tires and findings are inconclusive.
    Whole tires are not a risk for substantial contamination to water, but smaller chips or crumb rubber release larger amounts of toxicants,and could be cause for concern. The unknown factor is how much zinc or organic compounds would be released from crumb rubber used beneath artificial turf. The drain system and how quickly the drainage water reaches surface water containing aquatic life would greatly influence any impact to aquatic life. Sufficient dilution by mixing with drain water from other sourcescould mitigate toxic impacts to aquatic life.

What about crops grown under plastic? Are we safe?

• Advertisement

What about crops grown under plastic? Are we safe?

I dont think we are, i think the only safe way is natural all the way.

• Registered Users Posts: 747 ✭✭✭littleredspot

How would you feel about growbags then? They're nearly always made of plastic.

I'm interested in this as I've recently lined some wooden raised beds with plastic so as to extend their lifespan. I'm also thinking of using some plastic barrels (much cheaper than oak barrels)

How would you feel about growbags then? They're nearly always made of plastic.

I'm interested in this as I've recently lined some wooden raised beds with plastic so as to extend their lifespan. I'm also thinking of using some plastic barrels (much cheaper than oak barrels)

This is a very good point.

Personally i have no idea if it is ok, some plastic is graded as safe for food like water and cola bottles and freezer bags etc.

I wonder if those kind of grow bags have been tested. You would hope so?

Advertisement