Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

6 hours gaming online = "serious problem"

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,661 ✭✭✭✭Helix

calex71 wrote: »
    6 hours a day seems a lot but if you are playing something that engages your brain and involves co-op etc online then is that not better than coming home from work and sitting watching tv all night?

coming home from work and watching tv for 6 hours is ridiculous carry on too

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,520 ✭✭✭Duke Leonal Felmet

Helix wrote: »
    6 hours a day seems a lot but if you are playing something that engages your brain and involves co-op etc online then is that not better than coming home from work and sitting watching tv all night?

coming home from work and watching tv for 6 hours is ridiculous carry on too

Indeed.

"Six hours of gaming: At least it's not as bad as six hours of TV"

It's like a thief in court claiming: 'Well, it's better than being a rapist!'

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 25,868 Mod ✭✭✭✭Doctor DooM

Indeed.

Even if those six hours of gaming were in person, with friends, while a few drinks were being had?

Or in training with team mates before a big tournament?

Don't get me wrong I agree with you: there's something wrong if you just come home and play games and that's it. But as I said above, the problem in that case is not with the video game, surely? As you said, if it's not games it would be television or something else.

Indeed.

Even if those six hours of gaming were in person, with friends, while a few drinks were being had?

Don't get me wrong I agree with you: there's something wrong if you just come home and play games and that's it. But as I said above, the problem in that case is not with the video game, surely? As you said, if it's not games it would be television or something else.

Six hours of anything is usually bad. A bit of telly, gaming, sports, shagging, etc, etc. All in moderation.

So no, nothing wrong with games. But definitely something wrong with six hours a day.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,661 ✭✭✭✭Helix

Don't get me wrong I agree with you: there's something wrong if you just come home and play games and that's it. But as I said above, the problem in that case is not with the video game, surely?

the problem isnt games, its the person

• Advertisement
  • Site Banned Posts: 5,676 ✭✭✭jayteecork

not better than coming home from work and sitting watching tv all night?

Yeah, 90% of the population just plonk in front of the telly in brainless mode for the evening and it's considered "normal" whereas doing the same with games (being social, using your mind, your hand/eye coordination, and various other skills) is considered "problem"

I recently had this argument with a female friend cause I spend a lot of time playing online poker - probably one of the most subletly skillful games there is - I'm concentrating 100% on every hand. It's a pure mind game.
    I then told her she plonks herself in front of the telly and watches crap like the IT crowd for the evening while intermittedly looking at facebook on her laptop.

She didn't have much of a response after that.

jayteecork wrote: »
    not better than coming home from work and sitting watching tv all night?

Yeah, 90% of the population just plonk in front of the telly in brainless mode for the evening and it's considered "normal" whereas doing the same with games (being social, using your mind, your hand/eye coordination, and various other skills) is considered "problem"

I recently had this argument with a female friend cause I spend a lot of time playing online poker - probably one of the most subletly skillful games there is - I'm concentrating 100% on every hand. It's a pure mind game.
    I then told her she plonks herself in front of the telly and watches crap like the IT crowd for the evening while intermittedly looking at facebook on her laptop.

She didn't have much of a response after that.

I wouldn't consider watching six hours of TV every evening as healthy or normal.

Six hours of poker is very normal, to anyone who has played a game of Texas Hold'Em against decent opponents, either online or in real life (much more fun). Probably not good for you, if played every single evening.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,303 ✭✭✭Temptamperu

Andy!! wrote: »
    6 hours per day is CRAZY, and I love games. Maybe when I was a teenager that was ok, I probably used to do that with Final Fantasy.

LOL at people that are so defensive about this in this thread.
    But 8 or 9 hours of work is good for you?

6 hours per day is CRAZY, and I love games. Maybe when I was a teenager that was ok, I probably used to do that with Final Fantasy.

LOL at people that are so defensive about this in this thread.
    But 8 or 9 hours of work is good for you?

Probably not, but it's either that or the dole. At least in work we take scheduled breaks. In my long gaming sessions of yore, I only took breaks to use the toilet, and ate at my seat.

• Site Banned Posts: 5,676 ✭✭✭jayteecork

I wouldn't consider watching six hours of TV every evening as healthy or normal.

Six hours of poker is very normal, to anyone who has played a game of Texas Hold'Em against decent opponents, either online or in real life (much more fun). Probably not good for you, if played every single evening.

you prefer playing against decent opponents?????!!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,295 ✭✭✭✭Duggy747

Well when Skyrim comes out my gaming hours will go up to 39 hours a day :pac:

I couldn't do 6 hours online gaming, I'd probably do half that because of the time I have or I'd just get bored after that length.

That being said, I always hate these negative stereotypes about gaming.

jayteecork wrote: »

you prefer playing against decent opponents?????!!!

I actually didn't say that at all, but...

Yes. I don't play professionally, so when I do play, I play for the competitive element. There is no point playing against terrible players, just like there is no point having a 100m race versus a five year old.

Ah here.

Playing 8 hours of poker with your friends is no less or more normal than 6 hours of, in my example, Street Fighter with your friends, which at a competitive level involves very similar mind games, and is also often played for cash.

You're applying the exact outdated stereotype I mentioned above.

Ah here.

Playing 8 hours of poker with your friends is no less or more normal than 6 hours of, in my example, Street Fighter with your friends, which at a competitive level involves very similar mind games, and is also often played for cash.

You're applying the exact outdated stereotype I mentioned above.

No, you're just another poster who is not reading my posts properly. Had you done so, you would have noted the final sentence in my post.

Perhaps try again?

No, you're just another poster who is not reading my posts properly. Had you done so, you would have noted the final sentence in my post.

Perhaps try again?

You say it's probably not healthy, but it is normal.

But 6 hours of video games is not.

That is the stereotype I speak of.

Perhaps try again?

You say it's probably not healthy, but it is normal.

But 6 hours of video games is not.

That is the stereotype I speak of.

No, I said that six hours of videos games *every day* is not normal. I believe I have been quite consistent on this point.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,929 ✭✭✭✭ShadowHearth

lads, i think you all witnessing a miracle! i can do more then 6 hours easily and i am still alive! Praise the JEBUS!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,447 ✭✭✭richymcdermott

lads, i think you all witnessing a miracle! i can do more then 6 hours easily and i am still alive! Praise the SUN!

Fix post :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,194 ✭✭✭saa

I easily google for more than six hours a day, problem?
    Its called escape from boredom island and not wanting to face reality.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,940 ✭✭✭Corkfeen

Six hours of anything is usually bad. A bit of telly, gaming, sports, shagging, etc, etc. All in moderation.

So no, nothing wrong with games. But definitely something wrong with six hours a day.

Six hours of shagging is a fecking art.... :D

• Advertisement

saa wrote: »
    not wanting to face reality.

Serious?

Wouldn't there be possible health risks with exposure to a screen and not moving for 6 hours? I know if you work with computers they advice you to take frequent breaks during the day.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,788 ✭✭✭✭krudler

Wouldn't there be possible health risks with exposure to a screen and not moving for 6 hours? I know if you work with computers they advice you to take frequent breaks during the day.

all us call centre employees are immune to that. now I have to go ask to be unlocked from my desk, escuse me.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,499 ✭✭✭Sabre0001

Indeed.

Not really...because both stealing and raping are considered bad (understatement of the year!). On the other hand, when entertainment is mentioned video games are the only things shunned. Whereas it's perfectly acceptable to waste brain cells ANY other way.

🤪

• Site Banned Posts: 1,678 ✭✭✭Andy!!

lads, i think you all witnessing a miracle! i can do more then 6 hours easily and i am still alive! Praise the JEBUS!

Until you drop because a clot got thrown to your lung or heart because you've been sitting for most of your life and got yourself DVT.

• Site Banned Posts: 1,678 ✭✭✭Andy!!

Until you drop because a clot got thrown to your lung or heart because you've been sitting for most of your life and got yourself DVT.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,231 ✭✭✭✭Liam O

very common I hear.

Sabre0001 wrote: »
    Indeed.

Not really...because both stealing and raping are considered bad (understatement of the year!). On the other hand, when entertainment is mentioned video games are the only things shunned. Whereas it's perfectly acceptable to waste brain cells ANY other way.

You have heard of a metaphor, right? That was something straight of the Karl Pilkington school.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,231 ✭✭✭✭Liam O

You have heard of a metaphor, right? That was something straight of the Karl Pilkington school.
    so is mixing up metaphors and similes but we'll ignore that will we ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 22,929 ✭✭✭✭ShadowHearth

You need a hug or something?

Don't ask me, as I only give hug to misses shadowhearth.

I can give you side hug?

Advertisement