Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

X-box live help please

Options
  • 09-11-2011 10:55am
    Registered Users Posts: 55 ✭✭

Hi, my son has an X-box and is looking for X-box live for Christmas:confused:

I know absolutely nothing about it regarding cost or how to go about getting it and would appreciate any help you could give me, many thanks in advance:D

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,870 ✭✭✭Grumpypants

Xbox live is playing the xbox online verses other players, you will need broadband already installed in your house then it costs an additional 40 euro for a years subscription. buy a 12 month subscription in a store rather than using your credit card on the machine, its cheaper and less risk of having anything extra charged to your card with out your knowledge.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,513 ✭✭✭donalg1

You will also need a wireless antenna too dont know how much they cost, or if newer xbox's have them built in already, but would defo recommend you get the years subscription for xbox live works out far cheaper in the long run and sure that could be a xmas present for him every year after.

• Registered Users Posts: 55 ✭✭Kayleen

Many thanks Grumpypants and donalg1 for the quick replies.
    We do have wireless broadband in the house already so that won't be a problem.

Is this a suitable present for a sensible (so far!!!:rolleyes:) 14 year old

Do I buy the subscription in the likes of GAME?:confused::confused:
    Good idea about it being a yearly present thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 7,870 ✭✭✭Grumpypants

Kayleen wrote: »
    Many thanks Grumpypants and donalg1 for the quick replies.
    We do have wireless broadband in the house already so that won't be a problem.

Is this a suitable present for a sensible (so far!!!:rolleyes:) 14 year old

Do I buy the subscription in the likes of GAME?:confused::confused:
    Good idea about it being a yearly present thanks

Yea just pop into any game store and pick up a card with the code on it, depending on which xbox you have will mean you might have to buy a wireless adaptor. But the best method is to have the xbox pluged in to the router directly if possible.

• Registered Users Posts: 55 ✭✭Kayleen

Grumpypants many thanks for your help

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,923 ✭✭✭kearneybobs

Kayleen, what model Xbox is it do you know?

As Grumpypants said, there are two ways you can connect the xbox to the internet, via wireless connection or through a cable from you router to the xbox. If you plan on connecting via wireless you'll need to have wireless broadband in your house which most people do anyway, but you'll also need a wireless reciever for the Xbox too. The newer models of the xbox already have this receiver installed inside but older models dont.
    If running an Ethernet cable from your router to the xbox is a non-runner then you might need to purchase a wireless receiver for the xbox too, depending on the model.

Advertisement