Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

winter 1947 on Newstalk

Options
  • 09-11-2011 12:00pm
    Registered Users Posts: 757 ✭✭✭

listen to Newstalk now

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 757 ✭✭✭Bog Butter

The author of Ireland's Arctic Siege THE BIG FREEZE OF 1947 was on the radio this morning talking about his new book.

Podcast here:

http://www.newstalk.ie/2011/programmes/all-programmes/tom-dunne/birrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr-its-cold-outside/

• Registered Users Posts: 5,068 ✭✭✭Iancar29

http://www.facebook.com/pages/Irish-Weather-Online/175249952491394

Bought a copy of the Book today folks for a competition over on IWO.

+ one for me to read aswell of course! ha

Enter if you'd like ! :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,483 ✭✭✭User Friendly

how many people died in this period?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,516 ✭✭✭irish1967

irish1967 wrote: »
    Hi.......... yeah i read that a few days ago when searching for some figures,but i wondered if the author had mentioned any figures in his book

cheers for the reply

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 234 ✭✭konman

Hi.......... yeah i read that a few days ago when searching for some figures,but i wondered if the author had mentioned any figures in his book

cheers for the reply

jeez look at time of your post!!!

konman wrote: »
    jeez look at time of your post!!!

excuse me?

ah! hahha :D

spooky! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 5,145 ✭✭✭nilhg

Pat Kenny has a piece on this coming up soon.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,550 ✭✭✭Min

Yeah, some time in the next hour.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,550 ✭✭✭Min

It is on in a minute.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,667 ✭✭✭WolfeIRE

The Irish winter of 1947 was the coldest and longest of the 20th Century. From shortly after Christmas to almost Easter, the country was gripped by snow and ice; transport ground to a halt. The normal supply of goods and services was suspended.

All this happened in a country much poorer than modern Ireland. It was only two years after the end of the war. There was still rationing in Britain. The Irish economy was woefully underdeveloped. There was no central heating, and the distribution systems for coal and turf broke down. In rural parts, the old and vulnerable were hopelessly isolated. Hundreds died.

I managed to record the second half. Sorry I missed the first half. It should be online soon. Click on below image to listen

P.s. Love the way that Pat talks about Global Warming at the end of the piece. :rolleyes:

stats.png

• Closed Accounts Posts: 469 ✭✭blackius

WolfeIRE wrote: »
    The Irish winter of 1947 was the coldest and longest of the 20th Century. From shortly after Christmas to almost Easter, the country was gripped by snow and ice; transport ground to a halt. The normal supply of goods and services was suspended.

All this happened in a country much poorer than modern Ireland. It was only two years after the end of the war. There was still rationing in Britain. The Irish economy was woefully underdeveloped. There was no central heating, and the distribution systems for coal and turf broke down. In rural parts, the old and vulnerable were hopelessly isolated. Hundreds died.

I managed to record the second half. Sorry I missed the first half. It should be online soon. Click on below image to listen

P.s. Love the way that Pat talks about Global Warming at the end of the piece. :rolleyes:

stats.png
    Yeah it was a good piece,I heard the whole of it.
    Essentially 1947 was like last December but for 3 months and several January 1982 blizzards thrown in.
    My late dad often spoke of it,telling us how the lane to the yard was blocked as were the roads for the couple of months it went on and we are at sea level.
    The drifts on on the hilly ground around croghan mtn in south Wicklow (farm land from 600ft asl rising to about 1000-2000ft) were so massive, up to the tree tops,they lasted to the end of may on the highest fields.

Advertisement