Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Flights to Australia

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 332 ✭✭Theimprover

sponge_bob wrote: »
    I booked flights last week with ethiad, dub>brisbane with 2 stopovers in singapore and dubai on the way back, €950 all in and if you become a member with ethiad you get an extra 5kg in luggage.
    I booked with heffernan travel as i have a friend that works there, if i was going direct with no stopover i could have booked it on there own site for €914, emirates was €918 on there own site, cut out the middle man and go book directly with the airlines own site.
    From what i have been hearing is that ethiad on the best out there atm.

just checked heffernans travel in cork, i presume this is the same crowd that you booked with?
    flying cork-perth return on the 1/3/2012 and i can ship the whole family out for an average of 945euros a head (4 adults and 1 child).

Ya that's them, the wifes friend works for them, if you were willing to from Dublin you would get it for about 910 with eithiad

• Registered Users Posts: 143 ✭✭lippy11

Hey guys,

Just checking out baggage allowances this morning... Singapore Airlines you are allowed 20KG and then an extra $22 per excess kilo :O!!!
    Whilst with Etihad you are allowed 23KG or 28 KG when you become an Etihad member *scrambling to become an Etihad member*!!!

I think this could really influence my decision whether to fly with Singapore or Etihad... I was just below 15KG flying with Ryanair during the summer and that was just for a week haha!!

• Registered Users Posts: 665 ✭✭✭sponge_bob

Ya that's them, the wifes friend works for them, if you were willing to from Dublin you would get it for about 910 with eithiad

changed my departure airport to dublin and emirates will do it for 798euros a head:eek: with one stopover in dubai, using skyscanners.
    on the way back its an overnight stopover in dubai, does anyone know if the airline pays for your hotel and transfers?
    overnighted with JAL once in tokyo and the airline paid for it then just wondering if it is still the same now.

• Registered Users Posts: 332 ✭✭Theimprover

sponge_bob wrote: »
    changed my departure airport to dublin and emirates will do it for 798euros a head:eek: with one stopover in dubai, using skyscanners.
    on the way back its an overnight stopover in dubai, does anyone know if the airline pays for your hotel and transfers?
    overnighted with JAL once in tokyo and the airline paid for it then just wondering if it is still the same now.

wow, thats cheap, emirates and ethiad seem to be droping down in price every week, they are in big copmetition with each other, i went with heffernans as 2 of the lads could only pay a deposit so it suited better and we got free transfers from abu dabai to dubai which is about 75min, but you got a great deal there, did you book it so?

• Registered Users Posts: 665 ✭✭✭sponge_bob

wow, thats cheap, emirates and ethiad seem to be droping down in price every week, they are in big copmetition with each other, i went with heffernans as 2 of the lads could only pay a deposit so it suited better and we got free transfers from abu dabai to dubai which is about 75min, but you got a great deal there, did you book it so?

no didn't book anything yet as iam still unsure of exact dates, (still waiting for the visa to be granted).
    iam astonished tbh, cos when i started checking flights for march a few mths back the cheapest i could get was €5,100 for the whole lot of us and that price seemed to dissapear after a week or two, and then it was allways in around €5,500. just started checking flights again there in the last week or two and now i can get the whole lot of us over and back for €3,912, a saving of €1,600 on what i was expecting to pay:eek:

one other thing i did notice is that most sites class childern as between 2-11, but skyscanner class childern as between 2-12. so our kids will be 13, 11, and 9 at the time of travel and by booking with skyscanner we will have 2 kids fares in stead of 1 by going through other sites which is about €200 of a difference.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6 mairt86

hey there,
    Not sure if this is the proper place for this but here goes. Goin headin to australia in feburary for a working holiday and maybe more but just wondering should i book the flights before xmas or after.....im goin the 1st week of feburary but im thinkin there might be some sales on after xmas....at the minute the cheapest i can get on skyscanner is 660 with ethiad with one stop.
    Thanks guys

• Registered Users Posts: 143 ✭✭lippy11

mairt86 wrote: »
    hey there,
    Not sure if this is the proper place for this but here goes. Goin headin to australia in feburary for a working holiday and maybe more but just wondering should i book the flights before xmas or after.....im goin the 1st week of feburary but im thinkin there might be some sales on after xmas....at the minute the cheapest i can get on skyscanner is 660 with ethiad with one stop.
    Thanks guys

Hey Mairt86,

I'm going to Aus the first week in March and booked my flights last Friday.. I was thinking of waiting until January too, thinking there maybe sales on at that time.. But I didn't want to take the chance to be honest! So I also went with Etihad!
    It's personal choice really but I'd hate to go back and check in January to see that they have gone up a couple of hundred! But in saying that, I'll be raging if I check flights in January to see that there cheaper.. But what can you do!!
    Good luck :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6 mairt86

Well to be honest i wouldnt say there goina be too much cheaper....but not really sure what to do...they mightnt be much more expensive either hopefully!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,700 ✭✭✭irishh_bob

thats not how it works with flights , in nearly all cases ,the longer you book in advance , the cheaper the flight , that said , the time of year is just as important , no matter if you were to book a year in advance , it would always be more expensive to fly to australia in the second half of december and all of january than it would be in june or even march , the middle of winter in ireland is peak season in australia

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,208 ✭✭✭coco_lola

Just to add my two cents, I'm flying with China Airlines on 16th Dec, returning on 9th Jan (going for a holiday). Being Christmas time, they were the cheapest flights around at only 1300euro (most flights were about 2300). I haven't flown with them before but I looked at their site and the services look great, airplane looks comfy and roomy (electronically controlled adjustable seats), on board entertainment and food looks good. I fly from London to Taipei (Taiwan), and onto Sydney from there. I'll let you know how they were once I fly :)

• Advertisement
  • Hosted Moderators Posts: 3,807 ✭✭✭castie

For anyone looking at the frequent flyer stuff be sure to check the class you fly.
    Airlines will restrict the percentage of miles/points you get if any depending on this.

I would think its likely these cheap fares will come with no miles.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,810 ✭✭✭crushproof

Flights for Emirates Dublin - Sydney return are only €895 at the moment, very very cheap.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,759 ✭✭✭gustafo

coco_lola wrote: »
    Just to add my two cents, I'm flying with China Airlines on 16th Dec, returning on 9th Jan (going for a holiday). Being Christmas time, they were the cheapest flights around at only 1300euro (most flights were about 2300). I haven't flown with them before but I looked at their site and the services look great, airplane looks comfy and roomy (electronically controlled adjustable seats), on board entertainment and food looks good. I fly from London to Taipei (Taiwan), and onto Sydney from there. I'll let you know how they were once I fly :)

by the reviews out there about china air they seem to be pretty bad flying with them, make sure you have some sleeping tablets as the entertainment is supposed to be terrible.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,217 ✭✭✭digiman

Has anyone flown with Lufthansa before? I was thinking of getting them from Frankfurt to Singapore and then Singapore Airlines to Sydney. They have wifi on board the Frankfurt leg and both airlines use an A380 with power sockets in the seat. It would be Aer Lingus to Frankfurt.

On the baggage allowance, are you restricted to who ever gives you the least? Like say Aer Lingus allow 20Kg, but the others are 30Kg, does that mean that Aer Lingus will charge you for the extra 10Kg, even if you book all the flights through Lufthansa?

Advertisement