Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Lasagne Cooking Advice

Options
  • 09-11-2011 1:30pm
    Registered Users Posts: 227 ✭✭

Hi,

I'm cooking a Lasagne to take to a friends on Friday night, I'm very time restricted so plan on semi cooking Thursday evening and then finishing it when I get to theres on Friday.

Plan is to cook all the sauces, meat etc and then layer as normal then just leave in the fridge overnight without putting it in the oven... when I get to there place on Friday night I'll finish off in the oven as per normal!

Do people think that would work out okay?

I know I could cook fully cook it on Thursday and simply heat it up on Friday but I would prefer to do it the way I have suggested above if possible so its that little bit 'fresher'!

Cheers

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,456 ✭✭✭westies4ever

have done what you are suggesting many times - it'll be fine.

• Registered Users Posts: 227 ✭✭GampDub

Perfect, thanks for the quick response!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,593 ✭✭✭Northern Monkey

My lasagne always tastes better on the second day. I would cook it through on the first day and reheat it on the second!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,383 ✭✭✭emeraldstar

^ That was my thought, too. I always prefer it the day after.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,981 ✭✭✭Diarmuid

I find the meat sauce improves but the lasagna sheets themselves deteriorate with time. On the first day, if cooked properly they are al dente but after a day sitting there they absorb the liquid from the bechemel and meat and lose that bite. It still tastes pretty good but not as good as the first day. This is assuming you cook it the first day. You seem to be planning on preparing it fully but not cooking, that will probably work better

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,383 ✭✭✭emeraldstar

Diarmuid wrote: »
    I find the meat sauce improves but the lasagna sheets themselves deteriorate with time. On the first day, if cooked properly they are al dente but after a day sitting there they absorb the liquid from the bechemel and meat and lose that bite. It still tastes pretty good but not as good as the first day. This is assuming you cook it the first day. You seem to be planning on preparing it fully but not cooking, that will probably work better

And absorb the flavour :P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,844 ✭✭✭Honey-ec

Diarmuid wrote: »

The floppier the better, if you ask me! I took a tip from Paolo Tullio and always pre-cook my lasagne sheets; it stops them absorbing all the sauce from the ragu as it bakes. A slice of lasagne should never stand up on its own!

Advertisement