Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

LC Music - Harmony. NEED HELP!!

• 09-11-2011 1:38pm
    Registered Users Posts: 12

So i'm doing the Leaving Cert music course at home. I'm doing Higher Level, so my practical will count towards 50%, and i'm not worrying too much about that. It's the Harmony section that just completely confuses me. I just can't get my head around the whole chords, numerals, inversions, root positions, ect. I just find it so hard to understand it all without being able to hear examples, or have someone explain it to me. The Melody composing, Listening, Set Works, etc. i'll get through, and are fairly straight forward i guess, but this i just don't get whatsoever.

So my question. Is there any way you know of that could help me get my head around this?? To learn it and actually understand what they're talking about, as i'm hoping to get a decent grade in music!
    Thanks in advance for your help!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 842 ✭✭✭ConTheCat

I have notes in my folder, I'll have a look for the page and post up later! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 12 Benedrum

Thank you so much!

• Registered Users Posts: 732 ✭✭✭Bubbleope

I'm not sure if what I'm about to type will help but sure I'll give it a go. :pac:

Firstly, when you get a harmony to do, look out for where the cadences are! You can guess where the cadences are by seeing which bars have the longer notes. Then mark the two boxes(where you'll insert the chord into) with an x or a tick or whatever.
    {you can never be sure where cadences are but in general the bars with the longer notes are where the cadences are.}
    There's ALWAYS a cadence at the end and the last box is ALWAYS chord 1.

[Chords 1, 4, 5 are major {always include chord 5(7) as well!}
    Chords 2 and 6 are minor.
    NEVER use chords 3 and 7.
    {I hope you know how to do out the chords in the chord box at least? :)}]

Okay so these are what the cadences for the chords should be like:
    Perfect Cadence: 5-1 (can be in the middle or at the end)
    Plagal Cadence: 4-1 (can be at middle or at the end)
    Imperfect Cadence: 1,2,4-5 (NEVER at the end)
    Interrupted Cadence: 5-6 (NEVER at the end)

Then the rest of the boxes are for the rules of the chord progressions(chords which sound good together):
    Chord 1-2,4,5,6
    Chord 2-4,5,6
    Chord 4-1,2,5
    Chord 5-1,4,6 {
    can also go to chord 5(7)}
    Chord 6-2,4

[
    Chord progressions which are NOT accepted:
    Chord 5(7)-5
    Chord 5-2
    Chord 2-1
    Never ever use them!!]

Inversions:
    Use them when you've got no other choice. For example, say if you have chord 2 in one box and realise that the next box must also be a chord 2 and there are no other possible changes that you can use - then you're going to have to use the inversion.
    Inversions are where you invert the order of the chord itself,
    Say if you're inverting the chord G (G, B, D), take the middle note(B) and basically just put a dash beside the root chord(G) with the middle note(B) beside it so it looks like: G/B
    And that's your chord inverted!

Where you can't use the inversion:
    If the middle note of the chord is directly under the box(first note under the box).
    BUT you can do that IF you're inverting a minor key e.g. Am to Am/C with the note C directly under it.

In my class we haven't gotten to the minor chord harmonies yet so I haven't anything thing else to add to that! Sorry. D:

I hope this has helped you in some way!! :)
    p.s. these are my notes which i've taken from my teacher. if they're wrong? somebody can correct me! (: but I'm pretty sure they're right. (:

Bubbleope wrote: »
    I'm not sure if what I'm about to type will help but sure I'll give it a go. :pac:

Firstly, when you get a harmony to do, look out for where the cadences are! You can guess where the cadences are by seeing which bars have the longer notes. Then mark the two boxes(where you'll insert the chord into) with an x or a tick or whatever.
    {you can never be sure where cadences are but in general the bars with the longer notes are where the cadences are.}
    There's ALWAYS a cadence at the end and the last box is ALWAYS chord 1.

[Chords 1, 4, 5 are major {always include chord 5(7) as well!}
    Chords 2 and 6 are minor.
    NEVER use chords 3 and 7.
    {I hope you know how to do out the chords in the chord box at least? :)}]

Okay so these are what the cadences for the chords should be like:
    Perfect Cadence: 5-1 (can be in the middle or at the end)
    Plagal Cadence: 4-1 (can be at middle or at the end)
    Imperfect Cadence: 1,2,4-5 (NEVER at the end)
    Interrupted Cadence: 5-6 (NEVER at the end)

Then the rest of the boxes are for the rules of the chord progressions(chords which sound good together):
    Chord 1-2,4,5,6
    Chord 2-4,5,6
    Chord 4-1,2,5
    Chord 5-1,4,6 {
    can also go to chord 5(7)}
    Chord 6-2,4

[
    Chord progressions which are NOT accepted:
    Chord 5(7)-5
    Chord 5-2
    Chord 2-1
    Never ever use them!!]

Inversions:
    Use them when you've got no other choice. For example, say if you have chord 2 in one box and realise that the next box must also be a chord 2 and there are no other possible changes that you can use - then you're going to have to use the inversion.
    Inversions are where you invert the order of the chord itself,
    Say if you're inverting the chord G (G, B, D), take the middle note(B) and basically just put a dash beside the root chord(G) with the middle note(B) beside it so it looks like: G/B
    And that's your chord inverted!

Where you can't use the inversion:
    If the middle note of the chord is directly under the box(first note under the box).
    BUT you can do that IF you're inverting a minor key e.g. Am to Am/C with the note C directly under it.

In my class we haven't gotten to the minor chord harmonies yet so I haven't anything thing else to add to that! Sorry. D:

I hope this has helped you in some way!! :)
    p.s. these are my notes which i've taken from my teacher. if they're wrong? somebody can correct me! (: but I'm pretty sure they're right. (:

Well that's summarized all the rules, so thank you for that! I know how to fill our the boxes, it's just with what was my problem.

So let me see if i have this right:
    The numbers (1, 2, 3 etc.) you used were to represent the I II III IV V VI VII of an octave? And I=i in a minor chord? Or IV=iv etc.? So if i were to have the chord Am(A C E) in the key of Am, which would be i, and had to invert it, i could invert it to either C or E, depending on what was needed? So it would become Am/C or Am/E, and the chord would then start with the according inverted note?
    For the numerals in an inversion you're supposed to put either a b or c beside it. Can you use either or is b for the middle note and c for the top note? And last question(for now. :/), what's the story with second inversions? Is that a first inversion inverted again with the middle(root) or top note, or is it that what an inversion with the top note called?
    Sorry if this isn't making sense, i'm just trying to get my head around it, and thanks again for all your help!

WHOOPS forgot about this :(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 95 ✭✭gfgfgf14

Make sure to do one every week,the more you do the easier. Good luck!

It's okay Con, whenever you find the notes! :) Late help is still help!

One what? A question you mean?

• Registered Users Posts: 732 ✭✭✭Bubbleope

Benedrum wrote: »
    Well that's summarized all the rules, so thank you for that! I know how to fill our the boxes, it's just with what was my problem.

So let me see if i have this right:
    The numbers (1, 2, 3 etc.) you used were to represent the I II III IV V VI VII of an octave? And I=i in a minor chord? Or IV=iv etc.? So if i were to have the chord Am(A C E) in the key of Am, which would be i, and had to invert it, i could invert it to either C or E, depending on what was needed? So it would become Am/C or Am/E, and the chord would then start with the according inverted note?
    For the numerals in an inversion you're supposed to put either a b or c beside it. Can you use either or is b for the middle note and c for the top note? And last question(for now. :/), what's the story with second inversions? Is that a first inversion inverted again with the middle(root) or top note, or is it that what an inversion with the top note called?
    Sorry if this isn't making sense, i'm just trying to get my head around it, and thanks again for all your help!
    I'm REALLY sorry but hardly any of that makes sense to me!
    I think it's cause we uses normal numbers instead of roman numerals and stuff.
    But I'd say Chord 1 for me = Chord I to you??
    Chord 1 is the first box which you fill in.

I might ask my teacher about the second inversions because she hasn't really explained that well enough yet. (: And as for the minor chords situation, we haven't started it yet so I have no clue what you're on about yet!
    BUT! I'll get back to you anyways when I find out more. (:
    Benedrum wrote: »
    It's okay Con, whenever you find the notes! :) Late help is still help!

One what? A question you mean?
    Con! you should give some notes on what you know cause mine mightn't be too helpful in comparison to yours..? (:
    And I think they mean keep doing harmony questions! (: which is good advice, I've gotten way better at doing mine by doing loads of em.

I'm not 100% if my folder is at home and I won't be back at school til next Wed.. But I know I prob have a few bits written into books etc so I'll post them up! :)

Bubbleope wrote: »
    I'm REALLY sorry but hardly any of that makes sense to me!
    I think it's cause we uses normal numbers instead of roman numerals and stuff.
    But I'd say Chord 1 for me = Chord I to you??
    Chord 1 is the first box which you fill in.

I might ask my teacher about the second inversions because she hasn't really explained that well enough yet. (: And as for the minor chords situation, we haven't started it yet so I have no clue what you're on about yet!
    BUT! I'll get back to you anyways when I find out more. (:

And I think they mean keep doing harmony questions! (: which is good advice, I've gotten way better at doing mine by doing loads of em.

Oh i see, sorry, i forgot you said you hadn't tackled the minor yet. As for the dim and aug.. oh dear. :P But thanks again for your help!

And i will be sure to try questions! Even just looking at stuff after what you posted, i know a lot more than i already did. :)

• Advertisement

ConTheCat wrote: »
    I'm not 100% if my folder is at home and I won't be back at school til next Wed.. But I know I prob have a few bits written into books etc so I'll post them up! :)

Thanks, Con! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 95 ✭✭gfgfgf14

sorry i meant to do one question a week....but you should mess around with scales and chords everyday

Advertisement