Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

wireless problems

Options
  • 09-11-2011 2:03pm
    Registered Users Posts: 36

hi guys
    recently got vodafone broadband(huawei hg556a router)
    I mainly use this for playstaton network and it is plugged in so no problems there.
    My main problem is that my laptop wont pick up the wi fi signal most times even though its right next to the device,i have it plugged in with an ethernet cable at the moment and it recognizes the router no problem.
    My wlan setting is turned on on laptop and router,i have set up and re set up the network connection so many times and still the same problem.
    It just does not even show the connection when i turn on the laptop but when i go into manage wireless networks its there and is on the automatically connect setting but alas it doesnt happen.
    Its currently on wpa2 and aes setting maybe this has something to do with it?
    i have a network card and all that stuff is fine because some days it does pick up the signal no bothers but might cut off n come back on and what not.
    surely can be where im living as im getting regular speed of 7 megs n connection is always excellent so am wondering where im going wrong?
    Apologies if i have left out any important data
    Someone please help as not being able to get wireless from a whole 2 feet away is driving me mad.

(Also when i plug in the ethernet cable for roughly 10 mins and unplug it the wireless connection works for a while but keeps disconnecting every 30 seconds or so and i need to connect to network again even though its on automatically connect)but at least its recognising it somehow.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 104 ✭✭holcus

Is your PS3 connected via wifi of ethernet? What operating system do you use on your laptop?

• Registered Users Posts: 36 greengrass87

my ps3 is connected via ethernet cable,no problem there
    im running windows 7 on laptop

WPA2 security shouldn't have anything to do with it if you are running modern OS like Windows 7. Your Wireless network is probably interfering with another in your neighborhood. Try changing wifi channel to something else (1 or 6 or 12) and see if there is any difference. You may need to delete your network in "Manage Wireless Networks" and connect again.

You can change the channel in "wireles" tab of router admin panel which will probably be available under 192.168.1.1 or 192.168.0.1 or 192.168.1.254 or 192.168.0.254 in your Internet browser.

• Registered Users Posts: 36 greengrass87

am in the admin router site,click to enable or disable wifi and change channel,,
    when i try to change channel theres no ok button to confirm it even though it says press ok to confirm
    strange.....

Strange indeed. I don't know how your router's config panel looks like but maybe you need to turn some advanced or admin mode first or logon with more privileged user? Check manual. Can you send us a screenshot?

Check this guide
    http://forum.vodafone.ie/index.php?/topic/2301-change-the-wireless-channel-used-by-your-wireless-router/

• Advertisement
Advertisement