Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Pronounciation

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,174 ✭✭✭RhubarbCrumble

So that county in the west of Ireland,

MAY o

or

May OH

• Registered Users Posts: 1,663 ✭✭✭Immaculate Pasta

Lieutenant is correctly pronounced as "leftennant" though, "lootennant" is American English.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,956 ✭✭✭✭Omackeral

The fordener hadn't a care in the wurdled as he read the Herdled while smoking his Mardelburda Lights.

The foreigner hadn't a care in the world as he read the Herald while smoking his Marlborough Lights.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,345 ✭✭✭landsleaving

bluewolf wrote: »
    i always say pray-leen
    but i'm told it should be praw-leen

for praline
    :o

There's a word I've never said out loud. Now I've done it both ways a few times.

Praw-line sounds like it involves prawns in some way.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,538 ✭✭✭flutterflye

I hate when people put more importance on the wrong word/syllable if you know what I mean?
    Like saying ice-CREAM instead of ICE-cream.
    I'm not sure how to explain it well, but people do it with all sorts of words and it bugs the sh1t out of me.

I hate when people put more importance on the wrong word/syllable if you know what I mean?
    I'm not sure how to explain it well, but people do it with all sorts of words and it bugs the sh1t out of me.

Why should ice be more important than cream? one can't exist without the other with ice-cream.

I'm so confused now. Who puts emphasis on either word?

I get your overall point, but what a bizarre example. If I start noticing it now I'm coming to steal your ice-CREAM.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 577 ✭✭✭Galtee

Most of all I hate when people correct my pronounciation of a word and they're wrong too. :)

Handy11 wrote: »
    Agreed! And to make it worse they soften the D, making Guorthee. Horrible.

Other ones to note:

Arctic
    Film (I say fillum. I know I'm wrong)
    Mischievous
    Chipotle
    Militia
    Jewelry (another one I'm a culprit for)
    Percolate
    Weetabix
    Sherbet
    Bruschetta

How do you say this one? I didnt know there was a variant.

Some more skangtastic lingo

-Crips for Crisps (or even more offensive- a patch of crips instead of a packet)

-Hostable for Hospital

-Cousint for Cousin

• Registered Users Posts: 8,207 ✭✭✭The King of Moo

Though I'm a grammar pedant I'm not too hung up on pronunciation.

We're regularly exposed to both British and American pronunciation of words, as well as our own, so it's not really fair to expect people to conform to one particular way of pronouncing words.

As long as a mispronunciation isn't stupendously wrong and it's clear what the word is, I'm not bothered by it. Unless it's a pronunciation made as an affectation to sound "posh."

You have to remember that certain pronunciations are more to do with accents and custom rather than ignorance.

In fact, I'd hate if one uniform system of pronunciation was imposed on all speakers. The variety and flexibility of English is what I love about it.

Though one thing that's always puzzled me: why is "liquorice" pronounced "liquorish?"

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 317 ✭✭Handy11

It's like with Red Bull. Americans call it REDbull. We pronounce it Red BULL with only a slight emphasis on the bull. We revert to the American emphasis a lot when speaking about it with vodka. Which is strange

Why should ice be more important than cream? one can't exist without the other with ice-cream.

I'm so confused now. Who puts emphasis on either word?

I get your overall point, but what a bizarre example. If I start noticing it now I'm coming to steal your ice-CREAM.

Emphasis! - thank you, that's the word I was looking for :)

Anyway, yeah I know what you mean - there shouldn't really be more of an emphasis on either, but if you listen to people speaking, there is usually an emphasis on a particular part, depending on dialects etc...
    And it really annoys me when someone puts the emphasis on the 'wrong' part!

Omackeral wrote: »
    Handy11 wrote: »
    Weetabix

How do you say this one? I didnt know there was a variant.

The wife and some others I know pronounce it Wheetabix. Drives me mad.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,456 ✭✭✭fishy fishy

ever hear the media, usually on BBC/SKY pronounce the word "sixth" - they say
    sicth. It makes me want to scream.

Even worse the irish are now trying to copy this. Why on earth would they call it sicth.

disgustin' behaviour

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,150 ✭✭✭✭Malari

My dad (who's not originally from Cork) said to me once that he was going to BLACKpool that afternoon. I was a bit confused, until he explained he wanted to go to the electronic shop there, and I clicked "oh BlackPOOOL!" :D Sigh. I've been living in CAAARK too long....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,194 ✭✭✭saa

Apricot is not pronounced Ap-pri-cot its Ape-pri-cot my American and Canadian friends.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,195 ✭✭✭✭Pherekydes

Why do people say eck setera for et cetera?

A few more (Dublinese): Chimley, Window-still, scaff (Like wtf), apposed (What has become of poor 'opposed'?), on front of (my daughter said this this morning :rolleyes:).

And get Ian Guider off the ****ing radio...

people who say a tad bit is funny.

Originally posted by Pherekydes

Why do people say eck setera for et cetera?

A few more (Dublinese): Chimley, Window-still, scaff (Like wtf), apposed (What has become of poor 'opposed'?), on front of (my daughter said this this morning
    Even worse is when this bastardized word 'apposed' (or 'apost') replaces the word 'supposed' e.g. I'm not apposed to get wet.

Do people think they are apposed supposed to pronounce the 't' in the word 'often'?

• Registered Users Posts: 174 ✭✭AnnaVanilla

This might be (probably is) a really stupid question but after 5½ years in this country I'm still not sure if 'project' is pronunced pro-ject or pruh-ject... if that makes sense?? I hear both pronunciations all the time. As in, "I'm working on a project at work".

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 205 ✭✭englander

Peugeot.

Correct = Per-show
    Incorrect = Poo-Joe

• Advertisement

englander wrote: »
    Peugeot.

Correct = Per-show
    Incorrect = Poo-Joe

I can't stand "perj-oh"

I say "peu-jhoh" like normal people.

englander wrote: »
    Peugeot.

Correct = Per-show
    Incorrect = Poo-Joe

Strictly we should say Peh-zhow, as that's basically the original French pronunciation, but for Irish people it just sounds weird, largely due to our accents I'd imagine.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,314 ✭✭✭BOHtox

Some ones I hate are the following

Specifications- specific-kations. Instead of speci-fications.
    Modern- Modren.
    Violet- Voilet.
    Book/Cook etc- Buuke, Cuuke.

This might be (probably is) a really stupid question but after 5½ years in this country I'm still not sure if 'project' is pronunced pro-ject or pruh-ject... if that makes sense?? I hear both pronunciations all the time. As in, "I'm working on a project at work".

Pruh-ject is for the verb to project an image onto a wall. Proj-ect is the noun, ie I'm working on a particular project at work.

Not a stupid question at all. I think most people would go with the second option here in the case you've given. When used as a verb, however, I would suggest that pro-ject is correct.

Galtee wrote: »
    Pruh-ject is for the verb to project an image onto a wall. Proj-ect is the noun, ie I'm working on a particular project at work.

To project an image onto a wall - you'd place the emphasis on the last part of the word. I'm not sure I can explain it phonetically but both pronunciations that I hear of the word as a noun has the emphasis on the first part, they just sound differently. More like pro (as in pro wrestler) and pruh?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 315 ✭✭Full.Duck

cson wrote: »
    People who add an extra 'o' or two to words like Cook and Book.

Coooooooo-k

Boooooooo-k

The sheer horror when they attempt to say cookbook. :eek:

Thats the correct way to to pronounce them.

Boo - k

Not Buck.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 58,456 ✭✭✭✭ibarelycare

Mischievous. There are three syllables in that word. For some reason, people tend to add a third "i" after the "v", making it into a four syllable word.

Another one that annoys me, but this is more use of a wrong word, rather than mispronunciation, is "pacific" instead of "specific"...sorry but when I hear people use that they just come across as completely thick!

Galtee wrote: »

What about Pro-ject?

Not a stupid question at all. I think most people would go with the second option here in the case you've given. When used as a verb, however, I would suggest that pro-ject is correct.

Thanks Omackeral, I'll be correcting a few people here at work :D

• Advertisement

When using it as a noun like that, you've got two equally-acceptable pronunciations, both with the emphasis on the first syllable.

You can have "project" (bold indicating emphasis) with a short "o" sound (as in "bottle") or a long one (as in "Oh yeah!?")

When using it as a verb ("to project an image" for example), you use the long "o" sound or something closer to the schwa, the common "uh" sound, and put the emphasis on the second syllable: project.

To project an image onto a wall - you'd place the emphasis on the last part of the word. I'm not sure I can explain it phonetically but both pronunciations that I hear of the word as a noun has the emphasis on the first part, they just sound differently. More like pro (as in pro wrestler) and pruh?

The inflection should be on the first syllable for the noun as in, PROJ-ekt not (PRO-jekt), for the verb the inflection is on the second syllable. it's pruh-JEKT.

Thanks Omackeral, I'll be correcting a few people here at work :D

I could be wrong also though!! In simple terms, I would say Pruh-ject the way you say it for 'working on a project'. Maybe I'd say it like Praw-ject.

and then Pro-jekt for the verb. (Like you said, pro- wrestler). I would also say the second syllable much more quickly in the instance of the verb.

It's a curious one Anna!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,789 ✭✭✭✭ScumLord

Sorry, I pronounce it sososoooorieeee. I must be doing it wrong though people don't believe I'm sorry.

I could be wrong also though!! In simple terms, I would say Pruh-ject the way you say it for 'working on a project'. Maybe I'd say it like Praw-ject.

and then Pro-jekt for the verb. (Like you said, pro- wrestler). I would also say the second syllable much more quickly in the instance of the verb.

It's a curious one Anna!

Indeed.

It's a curious one Anna!

I think most people here in the office say pruh/praw-ject but at least I'm not the only one that's not sure :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,736 ✭✭✭Irish Guitarist

I pronounce lieutenant with a 'loo'. At least I think I do. I can't remember ever needing to actually say the word.

Why can't Americans pronounce David Bowie properly? It's 'bow' as in bow tie or bow and arrow, not 'boo' as in the sound a ghost makes. He called himself Bowie after seeing Jim Bowie being depicted in the film Battle Of The Alamo. The Bowie knife is named after Jim Bowie, and Americans don't seem to have a problem pronouncing that.
    Marine corps = marine core

WTF?
    The Beatles called their record label Apple Corps. I didn't get the joke until I discovered how marine corps was pronounced.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,030 ✭✭✭✭Chuck Stone

You know 'H' is supposed to be pronounced 'aych' (ate-ch?) well I just think that's pure bollocks and a cruel joke that some shitbox designed to confuse children and adults like me.

It's haych in my head and I don't care what the pronunseeayshun pedantz does be sayin'.

Oh yeah in Cork they call the corporation the coppa-rayshun.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,512 ✭✭✭Ellis Dee

I'm always amused at how people here in the Midlands pronounce "third".

I just can't wait for the aul Windsor wan to kick the bucket and be succeeded by Bigears, who will become, I suppose, King Charles the -- 3rd".:D:D:D

• Advertisement

Ellis Dee wrote: »
    I'm always amused at how people here in the Midlands pronounce "third".

I just can't wait for the aul Windsor wan to kick the bucket and be succeeded by Bigears, who will become, I suppose, King Charles the -- 3rd".:D:D:D

He would definitely be a sh1t king. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 547 ✭✭✭HugoBradyBrown

And "Higginbotham" is pronounced "Coburn."

Hugo Brady Brown

:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,048 ✭✭✭Da Shins Kelly

People who say 'per-scription' instead of 'pre-scription'. I only really properly noticed last night when I was in the hospital, and overheard some woman saying it repeatedly.

Also, one of my teachers used to say 'blozzom' instead of 'blossom'. I know a few people who say it like that. Doesn't bother me, but I always notice.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,065 ✭✭✭TheChevron

I have a habit of adding a h to words in parts where they shouldn't be, especially when the word has another h in it.

Whirlwind = Whirl-whind

• Registered Users Posts: 746 ✭✭✭skregs

Misschievous. There are three syllables in that word. For some reason, people tend to add a third "i" after the "v", making it into a four syllable word.

I hate when people add an extra "s" into mischievous.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,512 ✭✭✭Ellis Dee

I -a- wish -a- people -a- would learn -a- to -a- pronounce -a- the -a- surname -a- of our EU -a- master Olli Rehn -a- correctly. It -a- rhymes -a- with "rain" (wet -a- stuff), not "wren" (a small -a- bird).:):):)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,327 ✭✭✭AhSureTisGrand

Chapelizod

How the fück do you pronounce that?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,272 ✭✭✭Captain Graphite

Anyone who pronounces the word scone as "sconn" is instantly on my list of enemies. :mad: It's pronounced "scoan" - it rhymes with bone, lone, drone etc.

I've never been to Scotland, I think I'd just want to kill everyone over there for pronouncing it in that horrible way.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 547 ✭✭✭HugoBradyBrown

Chapelizod

How the fück do you pronounce that?

"Chapel Lizard", if you believe James Joyce!

Consider also 'sacrifice' pronounced 'sarcrifice'.

Or 'throat' pronounced 'troath'.

Or 'paraclete' pronounced 'pharisee'.

Hugo Brady Brown

Another one that annoys me, but this is more use of a wrong word, rather than mispronunciation, is "pacific" instead of "specific"...sorry but when I hear people use that they just come across as completely thick!

That's because they are. That has to be the worst one of all, and people who actually say 'specifically' still manage to come out with it.

It's up there with 'intensive purposes' for things that warrant a dictionary over the head.

• Registered Users Posts: 248 ✭✭07438991

Perfect V Pearfect

Specifically V Pacifically (this is particular drives me crazy...) :p

Undoubtedly V Undoubtably

• Advertisement
Advertisement