Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Pronounciation

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 58,456 ✭✭✭✭ibarelycare

skregs wrote: »
    I hate when people add an extra "s" into mischievous.

Goddammit!!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 695 ✭✭✭Darkginger

Registry Office as opposed to the (correct) Register Office.

• Registered Users Posts: 248 ✭✭07438991

07438991 wrote: »
    Perfect V Pearfect

Specifically V Pacifically (this is particular drives me crazy...) :p

Undoubtedly V Undoubtably

Anybody with me..? Or am I all alone again... :o

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,345 ✭✭✭landsleaving

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,538 ✭✭✭flutterflye

Darkginger wrote: »

I didn't believe you, so I googled it.
    You're right! :eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 577 ✭✭✭Galtee

Are you referring to The General Register Office?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,030 ✭✭✭✭Chuck Stone

Had an English teacher in secondary school who pronounced Aphrodite (Aff-ro-die-tee) as (afro-deet). I remember thinking 'Why the **** are you saying it that way?.'

This same teacher gave us a spelling exercise where we had to put 1 x 30 words into 3 sentences each i.e. 90 sentences. I thought that it was a really stupid exercise so I put great effort into squeezing all 90 sentences of this silly exercise onto one side of one page of a small copy book in tiny writing.

I proudly handed it to her and she looked at me as if to say 'touché you little fucker'.

Had an English teacher in secondary school who pronounced Aphrodite (Aff-ro-die-tee) as (afro-deet). I remember thinking 'Why the **** are you saying it that way?.'

This same teacher gave us a spelling exercise where we had to put 1 x 30 words into 3 sentences each i.e. 90 sentences. I thought that it was a really stupid exercise so I put great effort into squeezing all 90 sentences of this silly exercise onto one side of one page of a small copy book in tiny writing.

I proudly handed it to her and she looked at me as if to say 'touché you little fucker'.

I'm pretty sure that's illegal :D

Galtee wrote: »
    I'm pretty sure that's illegal :D

You are so sure, you said it 3 times! :)

Audi = Owdi not Awwwdi. That one really annoys me.

• Advertisement

You are so sure, you said it 3 times! :)

Sorry, connection just went a little mental there for a min.

Are you referring to The General Register Office?

Not specifically. I got married, in the UK, in a register office, not a registry office, for example.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,543 ✭✭✭✭castletownman

It's pronounced nu-cle-er. Nu-cle-er

Not specifically. I got married, in the UK, in a register office, not a registry office, for example.

Oh, Ok. Well, taking the General Register Office as an example, it is a Registry Office isn't it?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,543 ✭✭✭JerryHandbag

I've often sat awake at night and pondered....

Why is Ralph Fiennes pronounced as Ray Fiennes??

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,453 ✭✭✭Shenshen

I was just watching tv there, and the news presenter pronounced the word lieutenant as "lef-tenant". I've always pronounced it as "loo-tenant" and it really bugs me when people pronounce it "lef-tenant"*. So any pronounciations of words that annoy any of the AHer's here?

*waiting to get told I'm wrong :P

There is one pronounciation phenomenon that never ceases to puzzle me : English and Irish people pronouncing foreign word half in the original way, half English.

Examples :

Jalapeno
    Original pronounciation would be Ha-la-pen-yo. People here pronounce it Ha-la-pee-no...

Peugot
    Original pronounciation pø-sho, people in these parts pronounce it Pyu-sho...

Ibiza
    Original pronounciation EE-be-tha, people here insist on calling it Eye-be-tha...

What on earth is that about, where does that come from?
    It does my head in, I never know which syllable to pronounce original, and which "English"???

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 58,456 ✭✭✭✭ibarelycare

I've often sat awake at night and pondered....

Why is Ralph Fiennes pronounced as Ray Fiennes??

It's actually pronounced Rafe Fiennes! It's an old English pronunciation apparently. I used to think Ralph Fiennes and Ray Fiennes were two separate actors :o

Prefer.

Drives me mental when people say prefare.

Also when people say hour (which I would pronounce as 'our) as something that sounds like a mix of "ah", "eh" and "uh". I can't even think of a phonetic way of spelling it, it's like their mouth just gives up on the word.
    "I'll be there in a few uhs". - What?
    Sounds both posh and thick at the same time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 292 ✭✭Eroticfishcake

Chicago - Chicargo annoys me.

• Advertisement

Awkward.
    It reeeeaaally annoys my husband when someone says orkward.
    So many people do though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 118 ✭✭sophieblake

Obtober for October
    Chimley for chimney
    volka for vodka

Awkward.
    It reeeeaaally annoys my husband when someone says orkward.
    So many people do though.

He shouldn't be so easily annoyed. Kick him out! Do It! It seems strange now but you'll be glad when you're 70 and have two rocking chairs to choose from. ;)

Obtober for October
    Chimley for chimney
    volka for vodka

Feb-Uary for February, amblance for Ambulance, asterix for Asterisk...

This thread could last forever.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 517 ✭✭✭rich.d.berry

The Beds Etc. advert on TV bugs me.

Surely if you for and advert you insist that the voice artist gets your company name right!

He says ek-set-ra

Correct pronunciation is et-set-ra

Oh, Ok. Well, taking the General Register Office as an example, it is a Registry Office isn't it?

To quote Wikipedia (obviously the repository of all accurate knowledge ;))

"A register office (often incorrectly referred to as a "registry office") is a British term for a civil registry, a government office and depository where births, deaths and marriages are officially recorded and where you can get officially married, without a religious ceremony."

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,784 ✭✭✭Superbus

Modren, saf-e-ty and veh-hicle are 3 particular bugbears of mine.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,472 ✭✭✭SChique00

foxyboxer wrote: »
    A-dee-dis

A-dee-das.

:mad:

Adid-ass or Adee-dis :confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,543 ✭✭✭JerryHandbag

It's actually pronounced Rafe Fiennes! It's an old English pronunciation apparently. I used to think Ralph Fiennes and Ray Fiennes were two separate actors :o

Ah I see, the 2 F's cancel each other out. Well thats my interesting new fact learned for the day, splendid!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 517 ✭✭✭rich.d.berry

And drawring. I hate that.

"You should see the lovely drawring my son done at school today!"

Aaaaargh!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,472 ✭✭✭SChique00

Serr-tificit instead of certificate bugs the sh!te outta me, and it's my mother's way of saying it :p

Labatory instead of laboratory (or laboratry phonetically) also gives me headaches ... damn Amerikays...

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 547 ✭✭✭HugoBradyBrown

I'm off-ten axed my favrit word.

Hugo Brady Brown

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,566 ✭✭✭Funglegunk

When non-American people pronounce duty, dune, dual as dootie, doone, doo-ul it really does my nut in.

That's what we get for letting our children grow up watching Friends.

Americans saying 'Mary was merry'.

Or their odd "Mary Christmas": probably Santa's aunt.

Hugo Brady Brown

• Closed Accounts Posts: 140 ✭✭PeefsPixie

When people say say-fet-y... I dont know why that annoys me so much but, christ, it sure does

To quote Wikipedia (obviously the repository of all accurate knowledge ;))

"A register office (often incorrectly referred to as a "registry office") is a British term for a civil registry, a government office and depository where births, deaths and marriages are officially recorded and where you can get officially married, without a religious ceremony."

Apologies, I completely misinterpreted what you were saying and didn't stop to read back over it till now! You are saying the phrase Registry Office is incorrect and I took that up as the word Registry is incorrect as it was the word that was changed in your original post, ie Registry -> Register. So it's a "Register Office" which is a Registry but not Registry Office. I'm back on track. :o

Just found this however accurate it is it's hard to know these days with the amount of info out there.

http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/registry+office

controversy

committee

research

Tallinn

According to the RTE film of Sylvia Beach made around 1963, while in Paris in the 1920's James Joyce himself pronounced the word book as "buke" or 'boook"

Joyce pronounced 'Jice'.

Galway mispronounced Gaul-way instead of the correct Gal-wa.

Thurles mispronounced with an English RP 'th' sound, and with the 'r' unsounded.

The village of Gort pronounced 'Gurt' in English.

Italian as Eye-tal-yan or even as Eye-tal-an.

Hugo Brady Brown

• Registered Users Posts: 6,980 ✭✭✭wyrn

Ok this one is very pedantic and I know people are going to disagree with me, but I have to say it. It drives me frickin nuts.

EuroS

People who pronounce the S in euros. It's meant to be silent.
    I was working in retail when the changeover occurred and we had the EU guidelines. I've even gone to the EU website to download the document where it tells you how to pronounce it (the reason is due to different nations being able to pronounce it, a bit like how Jif went to Cif). Yes, it's gotten that bad that I had to download it to see if I had just imagined it.

It really annoys me when people in the know pronounce it wrong, they are the ones that say the IMF isn't coming and that we owe €3.6 billion more. The only financial people you can trust are the ones who know how to correctly pronounce euros because they have done their homework.

On an aside, hate people who call euros yoyos.

I'm probably the only one who has this pet hate.

• Registered Users Posts: 85 ✭✭Achtung! Bono

Weird one here. Once knew a girl in her 20's who pronounced 'supposed to' in this fashion

"You're not te' posed to do that.

wyrn wrote: »
    Ok this one is very pedantic and I know people are going to disagree with me, but I have to say it. It drives me frickin nuts.

EuroS

I was working in retail when the changeover occurred and we had the EU guidelines. I've even gone to the EU website to download the document where it tells you how to pronounce it (the reason is due to different nations being able to pronounce it, a bit like how Jif went to Cif). Yes, it's gotten that bad that I had to download it to see if I had just imagined it.

It really annoys me when people in the know pronounce it wrong, they are the ones that say the IMF isn't coming and that we owe €3.6 billion more. The only financial people you can trust are the ones who know how to correctly pronounce euros because they have done their homework.

Not anymore. Originally it was singular and plural and it used to irritate me too, to hear people saying EUROs but apparently it confused people and as such; now - Euro or Euros is acceptable.

Weird one here. Once new a girl in her 20's who pronounced 'supposed to' in this fashion

"You're not te' posed to do that.

I once read a post where the poster spelled 'knew' in this fashion

"new"

• Advertisement

You really wouldn't want to be sensitive in here. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,576 ✭✭✭Coeurdepirate

Hwat? Hwere are my troath lozengers?

What? Where are my throat lozenges?

wyrn wrote: »

EuroS

I think that this prohibition on our forming an English plural in a natural way is an imposition by French bureaucrats lodged deep within the Brussels and Frankfurt system. They failed to pawn their original name 'Ecu' off on us for the currency (a word with deep historical resonances for the French, but for few others), so they then decided that the plural for Euro was going to be formed in a way that suited their ears and their language.

Mind you, they also told us that the names of the units had to be completely uniform throughout the Euro area, Euro and Cent. But what happened? The Greeks gave them the courtesy of listening to them and then gaily started minting cent coins goodo with the word "Λεπτά" or "Lepta" on them. Good for the Greeks, of course; if only someone in Frankfurt had seen the early warning signs that they weren't going to pay a blind bit of notice to any of the Franco-German rules, whether linguistic or fiscal!

Returning to the main point, I believe that we should speak our own language naturally, and say Euro or Euros as and when that suits us. (In the past we had a dual system of saying 'ten pound' and 'ten pounds'; there were slight differences of register between the two versions, but both were freely in use. While we have a long tradition of freedom, continental member states may have more recent experience of hard dirigiste regimes, or of linguistic dictatorships, and so may more easily swallow mindless orders from the top.

Hugo Brady Brown

• Registered Users Posts: 8,207 ✭✭✭The King of Moo

controversy

committee

research

Tallinn

According to the RTE film of Sylvia Beach made around 1963, while in Paris in the 1920's James Joyce himself pronounced the word book as "buke" or 'boook"

Joyce pronounced 'Jice'.

Galway mispronounced Gaul-way instead of the correct Gal-wa.

Thurles mispronounced with an English RP 'th' sound, and with the 'r' unsounded.

The village of Gort pronounced 'Gurt' in English.

Italian as Eye-tal-yan or even as Eye-tal-an.

Hugo Brady Brown

That's how most of us in Galway pronounce it!

You hear it pronounced phonetically in some parts of County Galway, but
    most others prounce it "Gaulway."

See: the great song, G-G-G-Galway!!

"Jice" is a very typical strong Galway pronunciation too, especially in the city. Nora Barnacle must have been a bad influence on him :).

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,341 ✭✭✭Batsy

I was just watching tv there, and the news presenter pronounced the word lieutenant as "lef-tenant". I've always pronounced it as "loo-tenant" and it really bugs me when people pronounce it "lef-tenant"*. So any pronounciations of words that annoy any of the AHer's here?*waiting to get told I'm wrong :P

Lef-tenant is the British - i.e. correct - way of pronouncing it.

Loo-tenant is the awful American way of saying it.

• Registered Users Posts: 372 ✭✭drumlover22

You really wouldn't want to be sensitive in here. :)

Yeah, sorry if I offended anyone by starting this thread :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,566 ✭✭✭Funglegunk

Batsy wrote: »
    Lef-tenant is the British - i.e. correct - way of pronouncing it.

Loo-tenant is the awful American way of saying it.

*sigh* American English is perfectly valid. Languages evolve.

Unless you're taking the piss of course...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,186 ✭✭✭✭jmayo

I was just watching tv there, and the news presenter pronounced the word lieutenant as "lef-tenant". I've always pronounced it as "loo-tenant" and it really bugs me when people pronounce it "lef-tenant"*. So any pronounciations of words that annoy any of the AHer's here?

*waiting to get told I'm wrong :P

You watch too much American television and didn't listen when in skool.
    foxyboxer wrote: »
    Ireland - Sit-u-a-shun.
    N. Ireland - Sit-e-a-shun

There have always had a bit of a problem with the "sit ee a shun" up there.
    So that county in the west of Ireland,

MAY o

or

May OH

It's MAY oooooh just like it's Inda Kinny.

Heck this place is getting like Lidl or Aldi, the same things come around again if you wait long enough. :D
    There was a thread about this some time back and it ended up with people complaining about how locals do not know how to properly pronounce the names of the places where they live. :rolleyes:

I am not allowed discuss …

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,341 ✭✭✭Batsy

Funglegunk wrote: »
    *sigh* American English is perfectly valid. Languages evolve.

Unless you're taking the piss of course...

British English is the proper one.

The Americans just change English words just because they like to be different.

It's not just pronounciation. It's the same with spelling.

It should be "colour", not "color."

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,207 ✭✭✭The King of Moo

Batsy wrote: »
    British English is the proper one.

The Americans just change English words just because they like to be different.

It's not just pronounciation. It's the same with spelling.

It should be "colour", not "color."

British English in any strict sense doesn't exist outside the OED.

In terms of spoken English you get a huge, and welcome, variety of different accents and pronunciations even just within England.

What I love about English is that there's rarely one definitive way to pronounce something, and most words have a huge variety of synonyms.

It's what makes it such a rich language.

Oh, and it should be "pronunciation" (British English!), not "pronounciation" (not British, or any recognised version of, English!). :)

Advertisement