Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Pronounciation

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,770 ✭✭✭LeeHoffmann

Ahhhh iss-you and al-oo-minum are the 2 that drive me mad too, especially iss-you :mad: :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,511 ✭✭✭✭dxhound2005

Ahhhh iss-you and al-oo-minum are the 2 that drive me mad too, especially iss-you :mad: :pac:

There are three different pronounciations of Issue give in the Merriman Webster dictionary, an American publication. Like with many other words there is no point in insisting that only one form of pronounciation is correct.

is·sue
    noun \ˈi-(ˌ)shü, chiefly Southern ˈi-shə, chiefly British ˈis-(ˌ)yü\

You can listen to two of the variations here.

http://www.howjsay.com/index.php?word=issue

Aluminum is found in 50 dictionaries on Onelook as against 42 for Aluminium.

http://www.onelook.com/?w=aluminum&ls=a

Both are accepted as standard and if the American version gains more currency here over time it is just the way language evolves and nothing to get annoyed over.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,770 ✭✭✭LeeHoffmann

Like with many other words there is no point in insisting that only one form of pronounciation is correct.
    There is. It bugs me :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 11 ahuminahumina

Suh-hum instead of something.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 545 ✭✭✭WatchWolf

Fill-um for film.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,039 ✭✭✭MJ23

In-sure-dance
    gubberment
    Sahurrda
    buhhur

• Registered Users Posts: 11 ahuminahumina

I've heard butter as buhhur, buther, busser (in the D4) and of course budder in the US...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,078 ✭✭✭✭LordSutch

9959 wrote: »
    Bananas

Potatoes.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,012 ✭✭✭BizzyC

Ferarri vs. "Frarri"

Or Niché
    hate when people say "nitch"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 352 ✭✭Leopardi

So any pronounciations of words that annoy any of the AHer's here?

When people assume that "nutting" is preferable to "not-en".

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 637 ✭✭✭ruthloss

Clique.

It's pronounced kleek., not 'click'

• Registered Users Posts: 8,207 ✭✭✭The King of Moo

BizzyC wrote: »
    Ferarri vs. "Frarri"

Or Niché

That'd also, strictly, be wrong though. There's no accent on the "e," so it sounds like "neesh."

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,299 ✭✭✭✭MadsL

Manchester United have won themselves a pelenty.

It's 'pen-al-tay' George.

Not pen-al-tee :confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,549 ✭✭✭✭Judgement Day

Here's one - I grew up pronouncing the Galtee Mountains as the Gall Tee rather than Galt Tee. My son came home from school today and called them Galt Tee - should I get him speech therapy or get counselling for myself. :D

PS I probably have issues as I used to pronounce Thurles to rhyme with Earls.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,609 ✭✭✭stoneill

I have to say there's some sensible posting on here, and there's some real nitpicking.

I assume everyone pronounces words like "flower" and "car" the "correct" way, with the "r" silent? :)

Were not from feckin' Boston -

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,301 ✭✭✭The One Who Knocks

Fair enough, I pronunced nike llike "nike" not "nike-eeee" until I heard an ad for it....

can't stand people who say scon, instead of scone,.....it's like calling a throne a thron!

stoneill wrote: »
    Were not from feckin' Boston -

Nor is anyone from England.

• Registered Users Posts: 63 ✭✭jingler

Maybe someone can puzzle me this one. It's always been a word I've wondered about...
    I pronounce 'kilometre' as kil-om-eter. I recall my English teacher saying that is the correct pronounciation. Why then do news readers pronounce it kil-O-meter? Which is correct?

jingler wrote: »
    Maybe someone can puzzle me this one. It's always been a word I've wondered about...
    I pronounce 'kilometre' as kil-om-eter. I recall my English teacher saying that is the correct pronounciation. Why then do news readers pronounce it kil-O-meter? Which is correct?

Both are correct, though the latter would follow the standard pattern of pronunciation for metric units of measurement which places the stress on the first syllable.

Thanks King. I have always cringed at the KilOmetre and secretly sneered the fool who'd pronounce it incorrectly:rolleyes:. I shall change my sneering ways thanks to you.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,314 ✭✭✭BOHtox

your-in-all or your-ayn-all?

BOHtox wrote: »
    your-in-all or your-ayn-all?

Again, both are correct. The former is the American pronunciation, which changes the pronunciation of the middle syllable, probably to make the word sound less like "urine" and thus more "polite."

The latter is the British pronunciation and could thus be considered more correct for Irish people, as our English is predominantly based on British English.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,511 ✭✭✭✭dxhound2005

Jamez735 wrote: »
    Fair enough, I pronunced nike llike "nike" not "nike-eeee" until I heard an ad for it....

can't stand people who say scon, instead of scone,.....it's like calling a throne a thron!

I asked the maid in dulcet tone
    To order me a buttered scone
    The silly girl has been and gone
    And ordered me a buttered scone

http://www.wargs.com/misc/poem.html

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,281 ✭✭✭donegal_road

AA roadwatch on Today fm. D4 pronunciation of 'roundabout' = rind-about

and while Im at it, D4 off = oaf,

wonderful = wenderful (Rachel Allen)

barbecue = boar becue

and so on

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,407 ✭✭✭Promac

Got about 2 pages in before skipping to the end.

Adidas is pronounced ahdi-dahs not a-dee-das. The reason being it's named after the founder, Adolf (Adi) Dassler. Interestingly, his brother Rudolf Dassler founded Puma and originally called it Ruda (Ru-dolf Da-ssler). Both of them joined the Nazi party and Adi spent the war making boots for the wehrmacht while Rudi got captured by the Americans.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,033 ✭✭✭mauzo

How do you pronounce praline?

I always pronounced it praw-line

My friend says pray-leen

• Registered Users Posts: 320 ✭✭CorsetIsTight

mauzo wrote: »

My friend says pray-leen

I say prah-leen.

(Let's call the whole thing off.)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,372 ✭✭✭im invisible

My friend says pray-leen
    i have never heard it pronounced either of those ways.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,033 ✭✭✭mauzo

i have never heard it pronounced either of those ways.

Yeah, I don't say it often obviously, but when I do I get annoyed. I just don't know how to say it...

I also call a dressing gown a house coat. I'm the only person I know that does this.

• Advertisement

My friend says pray-leen

If you had to choose one pronunciation it'd be "prah-lean" (here), but people use few variations, with "praw-lean" the most common.

I always think it's futile to insist on standard pronunciations of loanwords.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 634 ✭✭✭Míshásta

I pronounce lieutenant with a 'loo'. At least I think I do. I can't remember ever needing to actually say the word.

Why can't Americans pronounce David Bowie properly? It's 'bow' as in bow tie or bow and arrow, not 'boo' as in the sound a ghost makes. He called himself Bowie after seeing Jim Bowie being depicted in the film Battle Of The Alamo. The Bowie knife is named after Jim Bowie, and Americans don't seem to have a problem pronouncing that.

The Beatles called their record label Apple Corps. I didn't get the joke until I discovered how marine corps was pronounced.

You pronounce 'Lieutenant' the American way (presumably because of the influence of TV) - yet you criticise their pronunciation of another word.

Anyone who pronounces the word scone as "sconn" is instantly on my list of enemies. :mad: It's pronounced "scoan" - it rhymes with bone, lone, drone etc.

I've never been to Scotland, I think I'd just want to kill everyone over there for pronouncing it in that horrible way.

Catholics used to say 'scoan' - Protestasnts:'scon'

Now people who wish to appear sophisticated say 'scon' :)

Same as in the evolution of the dish: 'sweet' to 'dessert' to 'pudding'

It's not only your pronunciation but your vocabulary that defines who you are in society.

Awkward.
    It reeeeaaally annoys my husband when someone says orkward.
    So many people do though.

Ah shur! 'tis a really awkward word to pronounce. :)

Omni Park as Ominny Park

Firhouse as Furhouse

Yes, but isn't 'furhouse' the natural pronunciation of many of the residents in their south Dublin accent.

"Furhouse" but "my Fircoat" :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,969 ✭✭✭hardCopy

Ornge. That one really grinds my gears.

• Advertisement

BizzyC wrote: »
    Ferarri vs. "Frarri"

Or Niché

hate when people spell "Niche" as "Niché" ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,160 ✭✭✭De Hipster

Omackeral wrote: »

Do people think they are apposed supposed to pronounce the 't' in the word 'often'?

THIS is my bugbear - of[t]en people!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,456 ✭✭✭Jev/N

Apparently Nutella is New-tell-uh ... nut-jobs!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,407 ✭✭✭Baby4

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 659 ✭✭✭HowAreWe

people saying thought instead of taught.....
    :confused:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,476 ✭✭✭✭Ush1

I say Mal-dron but herself thinks I'm not sayin' it right.

She says Maul-dron.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,072 ✭✭✭marcsignal

Omackeral wrote: »
    Oh and another RTE gripe here. I'm not a fan of how they say Gardai.

It's like Gwor-dee. They're working a 'W' in there somehow and I just dont like it I tells ya!

Its possibly the proper pronunciation of the word in some regions though? I'm open to criticism on that.

That's just a D4 thing that many RTE & TV3 newsreaders suffer from. They get their O's and A's mixed up.

eg:

"Gardai arrested a man in Temple Bar last night, after an altercation between a marketing student and a charity worker, underneath the archway beside the Central Bank. One of the Guards suffered a fractured jaw in the incident, and the marketing student was further charged with damaging Government property, after he vomited all over the inside of the Garda patrol car."

Or as Brian Dobson or Alan Cantwell would say:

"Gordai arrested a man in Temple Bor last night, after an oltercation between a morketing student and a chority worker, underneath the orchway beside the Central Bank. One of the Goards suffered a fractured jow in the incident, and the morketing student was further chorged with damaging Government property, after he vomited all over the inside of the Gorda patrol cor."

Always hated how people in a lot of other counties pronounce Galway.

To a local it sounds like ''Gaw-l-way(Gaulway)''.
    The outsider version is more like the spelling ''Gal-way'' same way you'd say gal in realtion to girl ''gal pal''

THERES A SILENT U IN GALWAY :mad:

:pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 70 ✭✭Yer_Wan

I like the way you sign your name Hugo Brady Brown

I don't.

Jev/N wrote: »
    Apparently Nutella is New-tell-uh ... nut-jobs!

There may be some influence there from Italy where Nutella's insanely popular and probably mentioned more frequently than in other countries.

There they pronounce it similarly, like "noo-tella," owing to the pronunciation standards of the Italian language. They struggle with the short "u" sounds that they don't have in Italian, so they read "books" (pronounced phonetically) and play "regby."
    Ush1 wrote: »
    I say Mal-dron but herself thinks I'm not sayin' it right.

She says Maul-dron.

That would be the accepted pronunciation, though I can't imagine anyone would misunderstand you if you pronounced it your way, so it's no big deal.

Baby4 wrote: »
    This post has been deleted.

AFAIK, 'agin' is a non-standard dialect version of 'against'. I wouldn't call it incorrect in normal informal speech.

• Registered Users Posts: 86 ✭✭sethasaurus

The irony is that it's actually impossible to tell if the OP was taking the piss by headlining the thread with 'Pronounciation".

There are all the unintelligible 'blurps' emitted by various skangers on the street.

I'm not sure what "thigh food" is, but I know Thai food.

Then there's "da cat", "d' dog", "dem'" and "dat" and "dere", "heighth", "yous" and "yiz".

One that really makes me cringe is "I seen", "He seen", "She seen", etc.

You might expect it from your 5-year-old: "Ma, I seen a monkey!".

Also, what is the point of clocks in Ireland? Nobody here seems to know what they're for..

• Registered Users Posts: 86 ✭✭sethasaurus

Míshásta wrote: »
    Catholics used to say 'scoan' - Protestasnts:'scon'

Now people who wish to appear sophisticated say 'scon' :)

Same as in the evolution of the dish: 'sweet' to 'dessert' to 'pudding'

It's not only your pronunciation but your vocabulary that defines who you are in society.

Scone has always been 'scon'. Are you lot on drugs?
    Too bad you're all too stubborn to learn actual English. I don't believe an English English teacher would last 5 minutes in the Irish school system.

Register is more definitive than vocabulary.

The irony is that it's actually impossible to tell if the OP was taking the piss by headlining the thread with 'Pronounciation".

There are all the unintelligible 'blurps' emitted by various skangers on the street.

They were intelligible enough for you to decipher them.
    I'm not sure what "thigh food" is, but I know Thai food.

I really don't get the apparent outrage this pronunciation seems to generate. It's such an understandable mistake to make. "Thailand" and its derivatives are words more read than spoken, and its pronunciation goes against the standard pronunciation of "Th." It's no surprise that most people pronounce it phonetically. I myself know how it's supposed to be pronounced, but have to make a conscious effort to do so due to only hearing it pronounced phonetically as a youth, except for on American television.

Leeedle or Liddle?

• Advertisement
Advertisement