Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Pronounciation

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,207 ✭✭✭The King of Moo

jingler wrote: »
    Leeedle or Liddle?

"Leedle" is the original German pronunciation (notice how they use it in their ads), but no-one would bat an eyelid at pronouncing it phonetically.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,609 ✭✭✭stoneill

Jev/N wrote: »
    Apparently Nutella is New-tell-uh ... nut-jobs!

That just noots!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,473 ✭✭✭Wacker The Attacker

City is not Cissy

Traitor is not Tracer

Growth is neither gross nor growf.

There are hundreds of other examples of words that are constantly mispronounced and it can lead to confusion in certain circumstances.

jingler wrote: »
    Leeedle or Liddle?

Aldi or Alldi

I don't get the different pronounciations with scone. It's sc-own, not scon. I mean think about it, you don't pronounce stone ston, then why should scone be scon?

mauzo wrote: »
    Yeah, I don't say it often obviously, but when I do I get annoyed. I just don't know how to say it...

I also call a dressing gown a house coat. I'm the only person I know that does this.
    IM NOT ALONE

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,420 ✭✭✭✭dxhound2005

I don't get the different pronounciations with scone. It's sc-own, not scon. I mean think about it, you don't pronounce stone ston, then why should scone be scon?

All -one endings are not pronounced the same. You have bone and cone but then done and gone. So why should scone not be pronounced to rhyme with gone?

• Registered Users Posts: 53 ✭✭emsie80

its prob alreay been posted. I cannot stand when someone says HOS-TI-BAL!!! Its feckin HOSPITAL!! arrgggghhhhh

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,990 ✭✭✭longshanks

Vincent Van Gogh

Van Goff
    Van Go
    Van Gock

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,413 ✭✭✭TeletextPear

I hate when people put more importance on the wrong word/syllable if you know what I mean?
    Like saying ice-CREAM instead of ICE-cream.
    I'm not sure how to explain it well, but people do it with all sorts of words and it bugs the sh1t out of me.

Yes, English people do this a lot. Sausage ROLL, etc

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,627 ✭✭✭Lawrence1895

'High ranked army officer' or 'High ranked police officer'

:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,191 ✭✭✭✭Pherekydes

All -one endings are not pronounced the same. You have bone and cone but then done and gone. So why should scone not be pronounced to rhyme with gone?

Or done?

Most -one endings are pronounced -own. Scone is one (own :pac:) of these.

longshanks wrote: »
    Vincent Van Gogh

Van Goff
    Van Go
    Van Gock

Isn't it more "Van Goch"?

Pherekydes wrote: »
    Or done?

Most -one endings are pronounced -own. Scone is one (own :pac:) of these.

Most but not all. The two pronunciations of scone in usage are both accepted as standard, neither of them is wrong.

http://www.howjsay.com/index.php?word=scone&submit=Submit

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,508 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

Isn't it more "Van Goch"?

More like Van 'Khoch'

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 634 ✭✭✭Míshásta

More like Van 'Khoch'

That's it. But the 'Kh' is very difficult to pronounce for English speakers.

The Dutch seem to be constantly clearing their throats. :p

So I'm not sure what the accepted English pronunciation is.

But it most definitely is not Van Goff. :)

Míshásta wrote: »
    That's it. But the 'Kh' is very difficult to pronounce for English speakers.

The Dutch seem to be constantly clearing their throats. :p

So I'm not sure what the accepted English pronunciation is.

But it most definitely is not Van Goff. :)

You say that but ....

http://www.howjsay.com/index.php?word=van+gogh&submit=Submit

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,407 ✭✭✭Promac

I hate how Dubs make 2 syllables out of 1 in words like "please" - "Packe' a Johnny Bleeoo pleyase".

The constant interchanging of T and TH baffles me. Pronouncing the h in Thomas and Thai, not pronouncing it anywhere else in words like "Tree, Tird" etc. and then adding one to words like taught. "I tink" and "I thaught", it's bizarre!

And the plural of you is you. Not yiz or yous or anything else ending in with s and it's certainly not YE. "All a ye"... I had an argument with a mate once who was convinced this was in the dictionary.

Promac wrote: »
    I hate how Dubs make 2 syllables out of 1 in words like "please" - "Packe' a Johnny Bleeoo pleyase".

The constant interchanging of T and TH baffles me. Pronouncing the h in Thomas and Thai, not pronouncing it anywhere else in words like "Tree, Tird" etc. and then adding one to words like taught. "I tink" and "I thaught", it's bizarre!

And the plural of you is you. Not yiz or yous or anything else ending in with s and it's certainly not YE. "All a ye"... I had an argument with a mate once who was convinced this was in the dictionary.

What's wrong with "ye?" Not only is it incredibly common all over Ireland, but it's also a very useful word. The lack of a different plural form of "you" is a curious deficiency in this great language not found in most others. It's very useful to have distinct singular and plural words to make it clear what one means.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,407 ✭✭✭Promac

What's wrong with "ye?" Not only is it incredibly common all over Ireland, but it's also a very useful word. The lack of a different plural form of "you" is a curious deficiency in this great language not found in most others. It's very useful to have distinct singular and plural words to make it clear what one means.

A separate plural form doesn't exist in the English language and ye is already recognised everywhere else that speaks English as an old, archaic form of the would you (in both forms). I won't go into the whole thorn problem (þ). It's not even obvious what you are on about when you use it - it took me a while (as someone who's studied linguistics at Uni) to figure out the usage and I can't imagine what non-English-speakers think. I used to wonder why people were suddenly talking like Shakespeare. And it's not all over Ireland either - I'm from the north and it was completely new to me when I moved to Dublin.

• Advertisement

Interesting site. The BBC doesn't appear to agree with their suggestion though.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/blogs/magazinemonitor/2010/01/how_to_say_van_gogh.shtml

quote:
    "At the Pronunciation Unit, we don't expect non-native Dutch speakers to pronounce his name with a perfect Dutch accent. Instead, we recommend the established Anglicisation van GOKH (-v as in vet, -g as in get, -kh as in Scottish loch) which is codified in numerous British English pronunciation dictionaries. "

The question just shows the craziness of much English orthography.

I wonder how the name is pronounced in Art colleges here?

• Site Banned Posts: 3 whoopsee slurpin poodles

It's pronunciation you flamin dingo.

probs pronounces it wrong too strewth I give up don't ever try your tongue at french so... sacred f@#ken bleu cant even have a language enforced on ya.

A separate plural form doesn't exist in the English language and ye is already recognised everywhere else that speaks English as an old, archaic form of the would you (in both forms). I won't go into the whole thorn problem (þ). It's not even obvious what you are on about when you use it - it took me a while (as someone who's studied linguistics at Uni) to figure out the usage and I can't imagine what non-English-speakers think. I used to wonder why people were suddenly talking like Shakespeare. And it's not all over Ireland either - I'm from the north and it was completely new to me when I moved to Dublin.

Informal speech doesn't have to use only the standard form of a language. In most of Ireland 'ye' is the plural of 'you' in everyday speech. It serves a very useful function as pointed out already.

I'm surprised that after studying linguistics you have such a narrow view on language use.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,785 ✭✭✭9959

'Ye' as a second person plural is fine, as long as it's not uttered by a Dubliner, that would be criminally fraudulent.
    Personally I'm not overly fond of the way our rural brothers and sisters lean into it yeeeeeee boys..yuck.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,497 ✭✭✭ezra_pound

Sky King wrote: »

It's Nikey. It's a Greek word and that's how you pronounce it.

It's a Greek word alright. However the Greek word is pronounced 'nee kay'

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,705 ✭✭✭Johro

bluewolf wrote: »
    i always say pray-leen
    but i'm told it should be praw-leen

for praline
    :o
    It's neither, it's prah-leen.
    http://www.macmillandictionary.com/pronunciation/british/praline
    Pray-leen and Praw-leen are American pronunciations. I think Praw-leen sounds awwwwwfully pretentious tbh :o

• Registered Users Posts: 49,731 ✭✭✭✭coolhull

Lidl... Is it Lee-del, Lye-dell or Liddel?

coolhull wrote: »
    Lidl... Is it Lee-del, Lye-dell or Liddel?

"Leedel" is roughly the original German pronunciation, but the phonetic pronunciation (by English standards) is common enough to also be quite acceptable. I may be repeating myself from a few posts ago, this feels awfully familiar.

Which is why it's handy. And I think it's usually very clear that it's being directed at a group of people, even if someone had never heard the word before. I certainly think it's clearer than just using "you," which is why most other modern languages have separate words for the singular and plural form of the second person.
    It might not have been used much in the North, but it's always been a normal part of Hiberno-English and I hear it all the time from people from all over the country.
    My English-language students also find it very useful and usually tell me how they like the word, because "you" can be very confusing for them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 787 ✭✭✭Emeraldy Pebbles

And it's not all over Ireland either - I'm from the north and it was completely new to me when I moved to Dublin.

Not all over, but practically. I've heard it in Munster, Leinster and in Connacht where I'm from, it is widespread. The reason you don't hear it in Dublin is that they have their own version in 'yous' or 'yiz'.

'Ye', 'yous' and 'yiz' are not incorrect, they are Hiberno-English, colloquialisms.
    I'm surprised that after studying linguistics you have such a narrow view on language use.

+1

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,497 ✭✭✭ArnoldJRimmer

Drives me absolutely mad when people say tremenjuss instead of tremenDous. Its a D people

And also when people down the west pronounce the surname Walsh as Welsh. Don't know why is irritates me so much

And I also say scon, and not scoan, and wont be changing that any time soon

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,020 ✭✭✭BlaasForRafa

I appear to be incapable of pronouncing Canteen properly, it comes out of my mouth as Can-tee-ann

And eight is another, it comes out as Ay-at. So late becomes lay-at, hate becomes hay-at and so on. It seems to be a bit of a Waterford City thing but I've also heard Norn Irelanders pronounce eight that was as well.

Drives me absolutely mad when people say tremenjuss instead of tremenDous. Its a D people

Pendulous!

Incredulous!!

Schedule!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,431 ✭✭✭Sky King

ezra_pound wrote: »
    It's a Greek word alright. However the Greek word is pronounced 'nee kay'

That's how 'Mad Dog' Tannin from Back to the Future 3 says it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 41,104 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

Or Mr Noonan with his 'billons' and 'millons' and 'Itallans".

And he a schoolteacher and all!

Hugo Brady Brown

I know - he can't pronounce 'yu'

I hate when Irish people talk about Eyetalians

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

How would people here pronounce the name Ronan? I'd pronounce it Ro-nin but I heard somebody say Ro-non and it sounded really weird to me.

I've also heard Ron-awn

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

Some Irish placenames are traps for the unfamiliar English visitor.

Heard clangers like 'Ball Lina', 'At Henry' and 'At Hee'. :D

Yeah I Mullingar Pronounced

Mullinger

Terry Pratchet

Got about 2 pages in before skipping to the end.

Adidas is pronounced ahdi-dahs not a-dee-das. The reason being it's named after the founder, Adolf (Adi) Dassler. Interestingly, his brother Rudolf Dassler founded Puma and originally called it Ruda (Ru-dolf Da-ssler). Both of them joined the Nazi party and Adi spent the war making boots for the wehrmacht while Rudi got captured by the Americans.

I always thought ADIDAS stood for All Day I Dream About Sport!

Terry Pratchet

• Registered Users Posts: 2,512 ✭✭✭Ellis Dee

How would you pronounce "je t'adore"?:confused:

I heard of an Irish guy who pulled a French chick in Paris and took her up to his room. Looking at her passionately in the eyes he said "je t'adore", to which she replied: "Shut it yourself, you fcuking lazy Irish cnut!":):)

Seeing as how he nearly owns us, the least we could do is pronounce Olli Rehn's surname correctly. It rhymes with "rain" rather than "wren" (a small bird).

And Nokia isn't pronounced "no-key-a", either.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34 reality19

I have heard cruelty being pronounced "cruelity" - mainly in Connacht

• Advertisement

Pendulous!

Incredulous!!

Schedule!!!

All have a U directly after the D, so that pronunciation is acceptable. No excuse for pronouncing tremendous with a J unless you're a pretentious arse

Yes, English people do this a lot. Sausage ROLL, etc

English comes from English, so why would you say they stress the 'wrong' syllable?

Who the hell says SAUSAGE roll? :confused:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,785 ✭✭✭9959

English comes from English, so why would you say they stress the 'wrong' syllable?

Who the hell says SAUSAGE roll? :confused:

'Sausage Roll' is so passé , even so called 'Breakfast Roll Man' has now moved on to 'Eggs Benedict', apparently eaten in tribute to the current Bishop of Rome.

All have a U directly after the D, so that pronunciation is acceptable. No excuse for pronouncing tremendous with a J unless you're a pretentious arse

I wouldn't describe any of the people I know who pronounce the "d" in "tremendous" like a "j" as pretentious!

Of course you've outlined the reason why the letter "d" is pronounced that way in the words above, but I don't think it's such a stretch to imagine someone pronouncing it similarly in "tremendous," and certainly nothing I'd lose sleep over.

9959 wrote: »
    Personally I'm not overly fond of the way our rural brothers and sisters lean into it yeeeeeee boys..yuck.

That's the correct. standard. official and orthodox pronunciation in the real capital.

And we citizens of the Athens of Ireland are not 'rural' (sniff!)

The 'Athens' of course refers to the ancient centre of civilization and not to the bankrupt metropolis of today.

I wouldn't describe any of the people I know who pronounce the "d" in "tremendous" like a "j" as pretentious!

Of course you've outlined the reason why the letter "d" is pronounced that way in the words above, but I don't think it's such a stretch to imagine someone pronouncing it similarly in "tremendous," and certainly nothing I'd lose sleep over.

Point taken, and apologies, I'm a little grumpy on a Monday morning. It's still one of those pronunciations that drives me mental though

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 72 ✭✭manbat

MCMLXXV wrote: »
    You resuscitated a near year old thread for that!?! :eek:

You have 10023 posts on boards! you win pal. I'll get you a football for Christmas if you promise me you'll get out of the house and interact with people in the real world?

That's the correct. standard. official and orthodox pronunciation in the real capital.

And we citizens of the Athens of Ireland are not 'rural' (sniff!)

The 'Athens' of course refers to the ancient centre of civilization and not to the bankrupt metropolis of today.

Nobody pronounces it like that in Dublin.

It's "yiz" in the real capital.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,870 ✭✭✭CrabRevolution

stoneill wrote: »
    Were not from feckin' Boston -
    Nor is anyone from England.

Where are these 65000 English people from then?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Boston,_Lincolnshire

Where are these 65000 English people from then?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Boston,_Lincolnshire

Pedantsville.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,080 ✭✭✭✭Maximus Alexander

So, do you guys pronounce the 'l' in "almond"?

• Advertisement
Advertisement