Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Can the PS3 play PS2 games?

• 09-11-2011 3:00pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,031 ✭✭✭✭

Hi all,
    haven't a cluse about consoles but the GF loves singstar so I've bought her a PS3 and microphones for her birthday but there seem to be many more Singstar titles available under PS2. Can I buy some of these as well or am I limited to PS3 specific discs?

Cheers!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,349 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

Only the original launch versions so you'll have to go down the second hand route. Sony removed this feature a couple of years ago.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,031 ✭✭✭✭murphaph

Ok had a google and it seems it's a complicated issue but looks like a modern 160GB slim model has little or no chance of supporting PS2 games?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 165 ✭✭Full_TiltKeith

murphaph wrote: »
    Ok had a google and it seems it's a complicated issue but looks like a modern 160GB slim model has little or no chance of supporting PS2 games?

That is correct.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,830 ✭✭✭✭Taltos

However - you can pick up a ps2 from the likes of GameStop for around 60Euro if you have a large back catalog... (What I had to do after my 1st Gen PS3 died on me).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,555 ✭✭✭✭Varik

There are PS2 games coming out on PSN these are not ports and are being emulated which could be done for any disc based game in the future, but my bet is on PS plus exclusivity when it does.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,031 ✭✭✭✭murphaph

Thanks folks.

We have no collection to support, so I'll just make sure not to buy PS2 games for it. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 142 ✭✭Zerroth

The original 60GB PS3 could play PS2 games.

Otherwise just get a PS2. I picked one up in The Rage for €20 with 2 controllers and a memory card a good few months ago.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,397 ✭✭✭Paparazzo

Some PS3's do support PS2 games. Was checking out last night, the easiest way to find out is to count the USB ports. PS3's with 4 ports are the ones that are compatable.
    The newer ones don't

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,748 ✭✭✭✭K.O.Kiki

PS2 on PS3 is crap anyway.

Get a PS2 and some wireless controllers, sorted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,397 ✭✭✭Paparazzo

K.O.Kiki wrote: »
    PS2 on PS3 is crap anyway.

Get a PS2 and some wireless controllers, sorted.

You need to turn on smoothing

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 538 ✭✭✭little big planet 2

you can get games on ebay that are origanly ps2 and ps1 even and they work

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 10,484 Mod ✭✭✭✭F1ngers

you can get games on ebay that are origanly ps2 and ps1 even and they work

Ps1 games do, but PS2 games only play on certain PS3s.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,748 ✭✭✭✭K.O.Kiki

Paparazzo wrote: »
    You need to turn on smoothing
    PS2 games on PS3 also suffer from input lag.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 538 ✭✭✭little big planet 2

no, people modifiy them so the game plays and i know that ps2 game should only play on a 40 gb but mine an 80 gb and the modified games work and normal ones dont

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,563 ✭✭✭WarZoneBrother

Varik wrote: »
    There are PS2 games coming out on PSN these are not ports and are being emulated which could be done for any disc based game in the future, but my bet is on PS plus exclusivity when it does.

Do these games have trophies by any chance?

Advertisement