Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Smithwicks Pale Ale

Options
  • 09-11-2011 4:21pm
    Registered Users Posts: 167 ✭✭

I drank a pint of smithwicks pale ale in the Mutton Lane Inn last night and it tasted pretty good.Its the first time I drank it and does anybody know is it available in other pubs in Cork city?It was draught I had.I don't know if it is available in bottles.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,613 ✭✭✭evilivor

I drank a pint of smithwicks pale ale in the Mutton Lane Inn last night and it tasted pretty good.Its the first time I drank it and does anybody know is it available in other pubs in Cork city?It was draught I had.I don't know if it is available in bottles.

Someone in my company was drinking it the Woodford a couple of weeks ago, on draft, dunno about bottles.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,431 ✭✭✭Sky King

There's a thread on this in the food and drink forum along with a list of places in Ireland you can get it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,376 ✭✭✭54kroc

To save anyone the bother of looking, one more mile posted this in the beer forum.

PUBS

ROSIE, CARRIGALINE
    AN BROG
    COUNIHAN'S
    FLANNERY'S
    LONG VALLEY BAR
    THE BISHOPSTOWN BAR
    THE SEXTANT
    THE WOODFORD BAR
    THOMOND BAR
    CRANE LANE THEATRE
    THE BOWERY
    CANTY'S
    MUTTON LANE INN
    BARRY'S, DOUGLAS
    JOHN O'SULLIVAN, DOUGLAS
    SOUTH COUNTY, DOUGLAS

OFF LICENCES

BARRY'S OL, MIDDLETON
    RAHEEN CHILL, BALLINACURRA
    MOE'S, YOUGHAL
    FINE WINES, BLACKPOOL RETAIL
    FINE WINES, WASHINGTON ST

• Registered Users Posts: 3,744 ✭✭✭deRanged

bradleys on north main st were doing it on offer - 5 for 10 last time I looked in.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,376 ✭✭✭54kroc

deRanged wrote: »
    bradleys on north main st were doing it on offer - 5 for 10 last time I looked in.

How long has Bradleys been around? Anybody remember the place that used to be accross the road, Benets or something?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,613 ✭✭✭evilivor

cork45 wrote: »
    How long has Bradleys been around?

Since 1850.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,477 ✭✭✭grenache

Not trying to diss your taste buds here, but the new Smithwicks is quite bland as pale ales go. There's a thread on it in the Beer & Wines section and 90% of the feedback has been negative. There are so many better pale ales to choose from. The Franciscan Well do Purgatory Pale Ale on draught. Further up the quays, The Bierhaus stocks Greene King, Fullers, Goose Island and Sierra Nevada amongst others, they do the latter on tap from time to time. The Abbot Ale House also stocks numerous pale ales.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,430 ✭✭✭run_Forrest_run

grenache wrote: »
    Not trying to diss your taste buds here, but the new Smithwicks is quite bland as pale ales go. There's a thread on it in the Beer & Wines section and 90% of the feedback has been negative. There are so many better pale ales to choose from. The Franciscan Well do Purgatory Pale Ale on draught. Further up the quays, The Bierhaus stocks Greene King, Fullers, Goose Island and Sierra Nevada amongst others, they do the latter on tap from time to time. The Abbot Ale House also stocks numerous pale ales.

while I have yet to try Smithwicks Pale Ale I often feel it's nearly cool for the beer snobs of this world to always diss anything produced from the non-artisan/large scale producers.

I must try some of it myself this weekend perhaps, I'll have to get it from an off-license so I'll get some other pale ales too and compare myself...I may be eating(drinking?) my words yet ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 189 ✭✭brimur69

The Slate on Tuckey St have it on tap now also. They had a promo last week

• Registered Users Posts: 273 ✭✭Grim_Wreeper

I often feel it's nearly cool for the beer snobs of this world to always diss anything produced from the non-artisan/large scale producers.

I completely agree with you there. Some people let the branding get to them, wither by choice of trying to look cool, or my their head playing tricks.

I've had the fortune to sample both the purgatory pale ale (in the Franciscan well, although they didn't have it the last time I was there > 3 moths ago?), and also Smithwicks pale ale (mutton lane).

To be fair the Smithwicks is a very nice pale ale, good taste, not too strong, but very nice for a mass produced beer, a nice after-taste (a slight "nutty" after-taste as my GF put it), as a pale ale should. Maybe Not as nice as the purgatory ale which has a stronger taste, but a much nicer drink than the standard Smithwicks ale, which is lacking in almost any flavor.

I would definitely be switching to this as my drink of choice while drinking in "normal" pubs, where a variety of pale ale is never on offer.

• Advertisement

I completely agree with you there. Some people let the branding get to them, wither by choice of trying to look cool, or my their head playing tricks.

I've had the fortune to sample both the purgatory pale ale (in the Franciscan well, although they didn't have it the last time I was there > 3 moths ago?), and also Smithwicks pale ale (mutton lane).

To be fair the Smithwicks is a very nice pale ale, good taste, not too strong, but very nice for a mass produced beer, a nice after-taste (a slight "nutty" after-taste as my GF put it), as a pale ale should. Maybe Not as nice as the purgatory ale which has a stronger taste, but a much nicer drink than the standard Smithwicks ale, which is lacking in almost any flavor.

I would definitely be switching to this as my drink of choice while drinking in "normal" pubs, where a variety of pale ale is never on offer.

thanks for the constructive feedback. I am a Smithwicks drinker (when in a county known for Smithwicks, ie, Kilkenny, Waterford, Galway..there may be more) but here in Cork it's like vinegar.
    I agree with you on the flavour side, even compared to some UK ales Smithwicks fails to compete I'm afraid. I think the lower ABV might have something to do with this perhaps.

I didn't get a chance to try the pale ale over the weekend but I'll be out in the pubs this Thursday so a tasting will happen then :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,528 ✭✭✭foxyboxer

I tried it and liked it. It's in the Hollyhill off license too.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,982 ✭✭✭Cool_CM

cork45 wrote: »
    How long has Bradleys been around?

"Bradley's - (Not) Serving the Underage of Cork since 1850"

:D

• Registered Users Posts: 972 ✭✭✭redarmyblues

while I have yet to try Smithwicks Pale Ale I often feel it's nearly cool for the beer snobs of this world to always diss anything produced from the non-artisan/large scale producers.

I must try some of it myself this weekend perhaps, I'll have to get it from an off-license so I'll get some other pale ales too and compare myself...I may be eating(drinking?) my words yet ;)
    The reason people are dishing it is because it is fizzy pish, it is not a real ale, itis not cask conditioned, it has external co2, most of the very best pale ales are made by large British breweries, Bitters are in fact a darker coloured pale ale.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,477 ✭✭✭grenache

i don't diss it because of it's producers, i diss it because it's absolute p*ss

i don't diss it because of it's producers, i diss it because it's absolute p*ss

I tried it last week, had a pint in Counihans, thought it was nice. Quite refreshing. I would have had another only for I was going to a gig and I knew the venue wouldn't have it available.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,301 ✭✭✭Flesh Gorden

Did anyone else reply to the ad they've had on the radio claiming the "first 50" callers to 1800 PALE ALE will get a free trial pack?

Got a phone call yesterday saying I was outside the delivery area and they'll post on vouchers instead

Advertisement