Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Recommend me a good American sports book....

Options
  • 09-11-2011 4:45pm
    Registered Users Posts: 11,324 ✭✭✭✭

I've decided to treat myself to a few American sports books to brush up on my American sporting interests (influenced mainly by a few excellent ESPN documentaries I have watched recently). I've already settled on Friday Night Lights and Moneyball but haven't come up with a third as of yet. Any suggestions folks? (aiming more towards documentary style literature rather than biographical).

Cheers.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12 warofthebutton

King of the world by David Remnick is absolutely brilliant. You might be sick to death of the whole Ali story but this differs by focusing on his less well known early years and on heavyweight boxing just before its golden era. The parts about the misunderstood and hated Sonny Liston are excellent. Also try the death of Marco Pantani by Matt Rendell and loose balls by Terry Pluto (this one is a bit overlong and written entirely through interviews but is worth sticking with for the insane antics of some of the players in the short lived ABA league... basically the movie Will Ferrell tried to make only much funnier)

• Registered Users Posts: 11,324 ✭✭✭✭castletownman

King of the world by David Remnick is absolutely brilliant. You might be sick to death of the whole Ali story but this differs by focusing on his less well known early years and on heavyweight boxing just before its golden era. The parts about the misunderstood and hated Sonny Liston are excellent. Also try the death of Marco Pantani by Matt Rendell and loose balls by Terry Pluto (this one is a bit overlong and written entirely through interviews but is worth sticking with for the insane antics of some of the players in the short lived ABA league... basically the movie Will Ferrell tried to make only much funnier)

Thanks for the suggestions. I'll definitely consider the King of the World of those options. :)

Advertisement