Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

simmentals

• 09-11-2011 4:52pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 609 ✭✭✭

anyone using simmental bulls, you happy to stick with them long term or is it just to breed replacements short term

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 38 scuggels

We go for the appoach of every second year hoping for the bull/ Heifer pattern so its about half simmental and half char. tried the new char test bull from munster KLU for next years crop, in relation to the simmental We used the new bull Is4 but we found calves to be short and stocky. They are promoting a new test bull that originated from canada forget his name seems a good bull. Hard to beat Simmental cross char animals for performance and bone structure.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,034 ✭✭✭Bizzum

scuggels wrote: »
    We go for the appoach of every second year hoping for the bull/ Heifer pattern so its about half simmental and half char. tried the new char test bull from munster KLU for next years crop, in relation to the simmental We used the new bull Is4 but we found calves to be short and stocky. They are promoting a new test bull that originated from canada forget his name seems a good bull. Hard to beat Simmental cross char animals for performance and bone structure.

The Homer Simpson school of genetics..........Boy, Girl,Boy,Girl:D
    I think over time the Bull/Heifer ratio balances itself out. Nonetheless we have used Sim on several cows over the years and I think if you use a good Sim bull on a good cow you will get good stock, both male and female.
    One of our best cows is carrying to T Bone this year (no doubt a bull calf:)).
    I think a tidy say LimX cow with muscle crossed with a good Sim bull will breed well.
    On the subject of CH X Sim, This is a cross I like, maybe not sweet enough for export but can be excellent stock!

All in all, the Sim have a lot to offer if you get the cross right.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,552 ✭✭✭pakalasa

I've used Hillcrest King (HKG) and Seepa Tee jay (IS4).
    HKG heifers really grow away in the second year. He has poor figures for maternal calving, so I tend to use him on cows with big hips. I see NCBC are not pushing IS4 for replacements in this years brochure. Wonder why?
    Curaheen Apostle (APZ) - I plan to use him next year.
    I think overall, DOVEA have far better Simmental bulls than NCBC, on paper anyway.

KFY, CUF & VIO look to be great bulls too with Eurogene;
    http://www.eurogeneaiservices.com/PDF/beef.pdf

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 609 ✭✭✭flatout11

how do you like the bull calves much of a price diff by comparision to the charolais calves?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 609 ✭✭✭flatout11

pakalasa wrote: »
    I've used Hillcrest King (HKG) and Seepa Tee jay (IS4).
    HKG heifers really grow away in the second year. He has poor figures for maternal calving, so I tend to use him on cows with big hips. I see NCBC are not pushing IS4 for replacements in this years brochure. Wonder why?
    Curaheen Apostle (APZ) - I plan to use him next year.
    I think overall, DOVEA have far better Simmental bulls than NCBC, on paper anyway.

KFY, CUF & VIO look to be great bulls too with Eurogene;
    http://www.eurogeneaiservices.com/PDF/beef.pdf

the best i have seen recently was t-bone calves, i was going to try apz looks decent

• Advertisement

flatout11 wrote: »
    how do you like the bull calves much of a price diff by comparision to the charolais calves?

The Simm bull weanlings would be back a bit from the Char bulls alright, but then Simm heifers are worth a lot more. Simm are nice and quiet too, so they're a good cross for, say a good red Lim cow that might be a bit on the wild side.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,078 ✭✭✭bogman_bass

. I see NCBC are not pushing IS4 for replacements in this years brochure.

Probably because he's dead and there's no more straws to be had. :D

I think you could be right about doveas selection

Excellent!!!!!!!!!!

What's the story with Icare? Why the big push on?

(Sorry for going off topic)

I think you could be right about doveas selection
    Well they're still pushing HKG and he's dead too. I guess IS4 wasn't around long enough to produce a bank of straws.

I was wondering about Icare aswell. Maybe NCBC are worried because they have no proven easy calving Char bull so went away and did a deal on Icare. Don't know really.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 547 ✭✭✭HugoBradyBrown

I would tend to shy away from them. I have been getting into Limousin, largely because of their pronounced maternal characteristics. I think I saw a piece in the Journal about them in the past couple of weeks, and I think they're the way to go now.

Hugo Brady Brown

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 381 ✭✭manjou

I use all simmentals and find them easy to handle and quiet.Heifers are great sellers in mart and the bulls may not make as much a kilo as others they are usually heavier so get nearly as much.Fatten most as bull beef and they come into big weights at slaughter.Agree limousin great cattle but the difference in temperment to simms is a major factor for me.

I was wondering about Icare aswell. Maybe NCBC are worried because they have no proven easy calving Char bull so went away and did a deal on Icare. Don't know really.

I'm not so sure about the easy calving. I bought Icare straws off Gouldings maybe 5 years ago, he is around a while. I think he didn't breed the type pedigree cattle that were popular at the time.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 160 ✭✭Pat the lad

yeah use abit of sim for breeding replacements - mostly newry. find them good cattle. bull weanlings sell well for finishing and heifers sell well as replacements. see sligo have a nice looking bull drumlone anchor, might try a few of him next year. nice dark red sim sold in rosscommon last week made big money 6100 euro!!!!!
    will still use mostly lim's and bb aiming for export Market

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,560 ✭✭✭limo_100

Well they're still pushing HKG and he's dead too. I guess IS4 wasn't around long enough to produce a bank of straws.

I think its because there saving him more so than king, for the pedigree breeders. I can still get him and will be getting him in the spring have a few of him on the way

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,560 ✭✭✭limo_100

Bizzum wrote: »
    I'm not so sure about the easy calving. I bought Icare straws off Gouldings maybe 5 years ago, he is around a while. I think he didn't breed the type pedigree cattle that were popular at the time.

were his offspring good iv being using him the last few weeks.

limo_100 wrote: »
    were his offspring good iv being using him the last few weeks.

Still on ice for one reason or another. So in short I dunno!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 161 ✭✭Mr.Success

We have used a simmental bull sinse '06. His progency improved after about 2 crops. His daughters go over €1000 when they are 2 yrs. his sons are sold around at around 2.5-3 yrs as forward stores and this autumn they sold for 1350-1500 Euro. we are very happy with simmental and he is not hard calving.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,316 ✭✭✭kevohmsford

We have used a simmental bull for the last two years. Fantastic calves especially for replacement heifers. The only downside is we have to send out a limousin bull to clean up after the simmental as he only bulled about a third of the cows the first year.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,007 ✭✭✭Grecco

I use a share of Simmental cross cows. (50% Si X 25% fr 25% Herford ) I find they produce a super calf and then they have a nice bulk of milk which pushes on the weight of the Weanlen.
    The only downside for me is that they keep pumping the milk into the Weanlen well into the autumn which if you dont keep an eye on them, leaves the cow in poor condition going into the winter

Advertisement