Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tesco Fruit and Veg Quality

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,026 ✭✭✭diddlybit

mactire wrote: »
    not a single one had the refreshing, invigorating lemony smell that i love so much. dull yellow inside, smelled vaguely like fermentation might have been occuring inside in the flesh. for the most part they actually smelled a little off-putting.

I've found this. I've been trying to replicate a pasta dish I made in Canada a couple of years ago and it's never been as good since. I've concluded that it's probably the Tesco lemons which are sour, bitter and un-lemony. (I know that lemons are in general sour, but I'm looking for fragrant sour, not yucky sour.)

I particularily hate Tesco's salad leaves which turn to mush after about two days. Bought rocket and mixed leaves in the market in Temple Bar a couple of months ago and thay kept for over a week. They might be a little more expensive, but considering the amount of food that I end up throwing out, it's worth it.

• Registered Users Posts: 517 ✭✭✭rich.d.berry

I tend to spread my shopping around between Tesco, Dunnes, Lidl and occasionally Marks & Spencer. I cannot say that I have noticed any major difference in quality in the fresh produce between the different stores. M&S Tries to sell a premium brand, but I regularly find the same quality sold elsewhere for less.

I did once have a run in with a packer at Tesco who was bent over a cardboard box of bananas throwing them about 4 or 5 feet into the plastic slanted display racks. I went and asked the supervisor why they employ tossers in their fruit and vegetables section. He was a bit taken aback until I explained what I witnessed. I also said that if my bananas were bruised then they would be returned for a refund. To be sure though, I selected my bunch from the yet to be unpacked cardboard box.

Besides that incident, I have had few issues with Tescos. I purchased watermelons in Dunnes before Christmas and both were bad when I cut them open. They were returned for a full refund. So, on balance I'd say that Tescos is no better or worse than any other supermarket I use.

Advertisement