Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New type Vodafone router

Options
  • 09-11-2011 5:05pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 4

Hi all, what i have is the new type vodafone router i ran a cat5 between the router approx 15/20 meters to another room tested the cable with a LAN tester all ok plugged her in to a laptop at the other end and its picking up an unidentified network with no internet. Plugged the laptop directly into the modem with a short lead and no problem. Tested the LAN tester with a short lead and that is working as it should be. one way or another i got at the other end on the laptop that the network cable is unplugged or broken but the tester seems to say otherwise. I have done this a few times before with eircom routers and had no hassle. My question is would there be a max distance that the router can send a the signal via cable with the vodafone routers, any help would be great cheers

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,548 ✭✭✭swampgas

Hank1 wrote: »
    Hi all, what i have is the new type vodafone router i ran a cat5 between the router approx 15/20 meters to another room tested the cable with a LAN tester all ok plugged her in to a laptop at the other end and its picking up an unidentified network with no internet. Plugged the laptop directly into the modem with a short lead and no problem. Tested the LAN tester with a short lead and that is working as it should be. one way or another i got at the other end on the laptop that the network cable is unplugged or broken but the tester seems to say otherwise. I have done this a few times before with eircom routers and had no hassle. My question is would there be a max distance that the router can send a the signal via cable with the vodafone routers, any help would be great cheers

Max length should be 90-100m.

A lot of LAN testers just check that the wires are connected in the right way, they don't check that a high-frequency signal will get through. I would re-terminate the connections as a first step. Or see if you can use another router / switch whatever to verify that the cable is the problem rather than the Vodafone router.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 Hank1

Cheers

Advertisement