Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Moving from Eircom to UPC

• 09-11-2011 5:14pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,609 ✭✭✭

Have many people here done this?

My contract (phone & broadband) is ending on the 13th of December, so I want to move to UPC.

Hoping someone here has done the same recently and can let me know if I'm not actually going about it the right way.

Do I just need to post a letter to.....

Notification to cease desk,
    3rd floor
    Telephone House
    Malbroro Steet
    Dublin 1.

Is that the right address? Also what exactly do you say in the letter?

thanks.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,713 ✭✭✭✭jor el

You can use the eircom forum to cancel your account, or at least find out directly from them what the correct procedure is. An email or phone call may suffice.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 425 ✭✭Dubwat

UPC pretty much do everything for you. You either fill out a form that they post to you or do it via their website.

UPC say that if you cancel your phone line first and then go with UPC, there is a danger that you'll lose your number.

I've heard that Eircom are now charging people an extra month when they move over, even if you're out of contract. Don't know if this is true or not.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,308 ✭✭✭pizzahead77

If you are porting your phone number to UPC, then don't cancel your Eircom phone line until the port is complete - usually the porting process cancels the phone line with Eircom but as the broadband will not be cancelled automatically you will need to inform Eircom that you wish to cancel it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,027 ✭✭✭Lantus

give eircom at least one months notice that you will be switching and cancelling but let the new provider do all the work.

Just switched to UTV (painless) but eircom are charging 21 per month x2 for cancellation fees. evil....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 303 ✭✭Walter Sobchak III

I'm thinking of switching the phone from eircom to UPC. We already have the TV and Broadband with UPC and are reasonably happy with the service. Just looking for a few pointers in relation to switching based on cost comparison, reliability of service and ease of use. Thanks. Sorry just realized this may be the wrong forum for this. If the Mods can move it?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,674 ✭✭✭Peetrik

I am doing this today actually, UPC broadband is cheaper and faster and I dont have to pay line rental.

I rang the cancellations dept in Eircom which turned out to only be an office where they try and bribe you to stay with them, they refuse to actually cancel any services, instead telling you that you must notify them in writing.

One funny thing is they guy actually tried to tell me they require 30 days notice for any cancellations. I actually laughed at him.
    They had no problem billing me from the moment I requested services despite the fact that I hadnt been connected or taken delivery of a modem (which took 2 weeks to arrive), now they expect me to pay for an extra month?

Very glad to be rid of them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 445 ✭✭Irish_Army01

I've recently moved from UPC to Eircom (approx 5-6 weeks ago) but I'm not happy with the service...

I am wondering can I cancel eircom (in writing if needs be) because I signed a year contract..??

I've already gone over the 10gig D/L limit so I want to go back to UPC..

Thanks

Advertisement