Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

how long is acceptable for reparing a tv?

Options
  • 09-11-2011 5:21pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,893 ✭✭✭

is there some sort of regulation on the time it should take a retailer to fix a broken tv?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

Can you provide some more details please?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,893 ✭✭✭j4vier

dont know if i can name the retailer

my tv reported a fault , a line on the display
    the retailer sent a courier to collected it about 3 weeks ago

they are keeping me updated but can never give me an exact date on when it ll get done, they told me they were goin to replace it but then they said they were goin to repair it again

dont know when im goin to see it back tbh

• Registered Users Posts: 40,236 ✭✭✭✭Boggles

I'd start to get vocal with them now, asking for a definite answer.

I'd start to get very vocal around the 28 day mark and start looking for alternative redress.

but does anyone know what is the law around this?

all i can remember from reading around is that they should either repair within reasonable time or substitute the product if they fail to do so, but how long can they try to repair it for i suppose is what i am asking?

thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

The short answer is that there is no definite timeframe.

As mentioned earlier, it should be reasonable. Now, if they were waiting for parts or something, but were doing everything they could, that could be considered reasonable. If they're not doing anything, then it's not reasonable.

One more question - how old is the TV? What i'm trying to establish here is whether or not this issue is covered under Consumer Law.

It is time to start getting a little heavy with them. Ring, ask to speak to the manager and outline your issues with the wait time.

Once I know a little more about the situation with your TV, I can try to give better advice.

• Advertisement

i had the tv 3 years
    i purchased 5 years warranty with the tv

I'm actually confused now on what's the problem, up until today they were waiting for a part to arrive

then today all of a sudden they told me they were going to give me a new one because the time to repair/ cost to repair were not worth their while

few hours after that, they rang me again saying that they were not going to give me a new one, instead they now have to send it to the manufacturer and they couldn't give me a time frame

it sounds like they are doing what they can but at the same time i've been with no tv all these time and i have no definite answer on when i am going to get it back

that's my problem basically..

so nobody had a similar issue?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,335 ✭✭✭✭UrbanSea

Guessing it's Curry's since you bought a five year warranty. Post it over here if it is

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=1333

no its not currys, its rs and they have good reps here on boards that i think they are doing their best, except that now 4 weeks have passed and i dont know how long is it going to take further

can anyone shed light on how to handle this situation

i am still waiting for things to get sorted

everytime i am given a date for getting things sorted, new excuses come up and this date is postponed. i dont know what to do anymore??

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 20,373 ✭✭✭✭foggy_lad

j4vier wrote: »
    can anyone shed light on how to handle this situation

i am still waiting for things to get sorted

everytime i am given a date for getting things sorted, new excuses come up and this date is postponed. i dont know what to do anymore??
    Write to the store and explain the issue so far, let them know you are not happy with the time taken to repair/replace a television that is supposed to be covered by a paid for warranty. imho you should now be seeking a refund of the insurance cost as well as repair replace or refund for the television using your statutory rights.

the store knows well how annoyed i am at this stage, several emails were exchanged with the md as well, they have offered to refund the cost of the warranty as you said but i haven't accept it yet because i figured that even if i accept it now, i still wouldn't have a clue of when the tv would get back to me. As i said gettin a repair date is not a problem, the problem is that that date is never met :(

• Registered Users Posts: 2,477 ✭✭✭skinny90

whats wrong with naming the business??Name and shame!it might speed up the process,u may even get a better remedy:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,335 ✭✭✭✭UrbanSea

no its not currys, its rs and they have good reps here on boards that i think they are doing their best, except that now 4 weeks have passed and i dont know how long is it going to take further
    skinny90 wrote: »
    whats wrong with naming the business??Name and shame!it might speed up the process,u may even get a better remedy:D
    They did,rs=Richer Sounds.

the store knows well how annoyed i am at this stage, several emails were exchanged with the md as well, they have offered to refund the cost of the warranty as you said but i haven't accept it yet because i figured that even if i accept it now, i still wouldn't have a clue of when the tv would get back to me. As i said gettin a repair date is not a problem, the problem is that that date is never met :(

It would be up to you but the small claims court is always an option but I would give the store one last chance, I would give them a full 7 days now to return your tv in fully working condition with no charge to you and also a full refund of the paid for insurance/warranty which appears to have been useless/not used in your case.

Make it clear that even one hour outside of this time and you will be seeking a full refund through the small claims court as they have been unable to repair or replace in a reasonable time.

thanks for the advice

• Registered Users Posts: 4,487 ✭✭✭Mountjoy Mugger

Have you considered asking them about it here?

Have you considered asking them about it here?

yes i have dealt with all of them at this stage

yes i have dealt with all of them at this stage
    It sounds like mis-communication between different members of staff considering you were told it was being repaired then that it would be replaced then later told No it will be repaired again(is this a 2nd repair or just that the first repair turned into replacement then back to repair?), and now the time is left dragging on and on as they drag their heels in deciding to replace which they should have stuck to in the first place.....?

problem is that it was originally sent to the wrong repair centre, so a month wasted at the start. then when it finally reached the right centre, another month passed for waiting for a part.. during which there were the suggestions to replace it from their part which they were followed by a change of mind..now the new expected fixing date is next friday..miscomunication or not, doesn't sound like a good way to make business and keep a customer

• Advertisement
Advertisement