Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Laptop in Exams

• 09-11-2011 5:54pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,369 ✭✭✭

Hey I'm currently doing 5th year and just purchased a laptop over the mid-term.

I was told that by my Exam Secetary in my school that I'm not allowed use it in Exams because I don't have dyslexia but I do have a spelling problem because of my hearing loss.

All I want to know is it possible for me to use it or not?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 405 ✭✭paddy978

I don't know to be honest but I presume there would be something done whether that give you a room to yourself or the access to a laptop I'm not too sure.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 244 ✭✭njd2010

LostBoy101 wrote: »
    I do have a spelling problem because of my hearing loss

I haven't got a clue regards to your question- but just out of curiosity, how does poor hearing affect spelling?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,784 ✭✭✭Superbus

I wouldn't say you'd allowed use your own laptop, it'd be provided if needed.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,234 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

If your Examinations Secretary says no, then presumably Reasonable Accommodations in the SEC have said no (?).

If you have a spelling problem and you have applied for an exemption on the grounds of it, if Reasonable Accommodations agree, then you will not lose marks because of your spelling.

Just applying for an exemption does not mean you automatically get it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,369 ✭✭✭LostBoy101

spurious wrote: »
    If your Examinations Secretary says no, then presumably Reasonable Accommodations in the SEC have said no (?).

If you have a spelling problem and you have applied for an exemption on the grounds of it, if Reasonable Accommodations agree, then you will not lose marks because of your spelling.

Just applying for an exemption does not mean you automatically get it.
    Yeah I'd say that pretty much sums it all up and I've sent an inquiry to the SEC by email so I'd see what they have to say.

• Advertisement

njd2010 wrote: »
    I haven't got a clue regards to your question- but just out of curiosity, how does poor hearing affect spelling?
    It comes with the problem of catching the meaning of some large words which is my problem with but to be honest I can't explain any better.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,382 ✭✭✭✭rainbowtrout

Did you have an exemption for your Junior Cert exams?

If you didn't it's highly unlikely that you would get one for your Leaving Cert.

Also the use of laptops for exams is not for those that have dyslexia (most of the time). If you have applied for an exemption from the SEC for spelling, you will get a spelling waiver but you still have to hand write your exams.

Laptops are used in cases where students have extremely poor handwriting, or have some problem with writing.

Have you had any special accommodation for your hearing loss? In my school one student who did was put in a room on their own for the aural exams so they could have the volume up really loud/wear headphones - I can't really remember.

To be honest I can't see the SEC giving you a waiver for spelling, because if you can read properly they will argue that if you can read words, you can learn to spell them.

• Registered Users Posts: 28 bamhaithliom

It's actually a misconception that if you didn't receive an exemption at JC level you won't receive one at LC level. My school told me I wasn't eligible for exemptions in the LC for this reason, turns out I actually was eligible. Apply early is the main thing for exemptions and have clear evidence lined out for the use of a laptop. Sell your case well and you may well get it.

Good luck OP!

It's actually a misconception that if you didn't receive an exemption at JC level you won't receive one at LC level. My school told me I wasn't eligible for exemptions in the LC for this reason, turns out I actually was eligible. Apply early is the main thing for exemptions and have clear evidence lined out for the use of a laptop. Sell your case well and you may well get it.

Also rainbowtrout it's unfair of you to say that OP should be able to perfectly spell words if they can read especially since it seems you have little experience of this.

Good luck OP!

No, if you go back and read my post properly you will see that I said that it would probably be the SEC's view that if the student can read without problems (i.e. does not have dyslexia) then they should be able to spell. I did not say that was my personal opinion, and I do have experience of students with a variety of learning difficulties as I am a teacher.

The reason I said that the OP was unlikely to get an exemption is that if they have applied for one in the past, the same condition is unlikely to result in an exemption this time around. Also the SEC have made huge cutbacks in the provision of exemptions at JC and LC level in the last year or two, it's getting harder to get one, so before you go making wild accusations, maybe you should do some research.

Also as I already stated, laptops are not necessary for problems with spelling. A note is written on the top of the candidates exam paper stating they have a spelling waiver if the exemption has been granted.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,989 ✭✭✭PictureFrame

No, if you go back and read my post properly you will see that I said that it would probably be the SEC's view that if the student can read without problems (i.e. does not have dyslexia) then they should be able to spell. I did not say that was my personal opinion, and I do have experience of students with a variety of learning difficulties as I am a teacher.

The reason I said that the OP was unlikely to get an exemption is that if they have applied for one in the past, the same condition is unlikely to result in an exemption this time around. Also the SEC have made huge cutbacks in the provision of exemptions at JC and LC level in the last year or two, it's getting harder to get one, so before you go making wild accusations, maybe you should do some research.

Also as I already stated, laptops are not necessary for problems with spelling. A note is written on the top of the candidates exam paper stating they have a spelling waiver if the exemption has been granted.
    It is true what Rainbowtrout said that it has lately become very difficult to get an exemption for exams. My Brother is doing his JC this year and has Dyspraxia and Myoptia? Im not too sure how it's spelt but basically his writing his terrible. The Exam secretary in our school has had to be in constant contact with the SEC / Occuptional Therapists / Psychologists etc. for the last 2 years just so he would have the option of a scribe/laptop if he needs one..

I don't honestly think that you can get a laptop for exams for dyslexia however, you get an exemption for your spelling problems however but as far as I know, you can't have one!

• Advertisement

Not trying to start an agrument at all just trying to find an answer and I did get a spelling waiver exemption for the JC and I'm pretty sure I'll be getting it for LC so I'm going to have a look at examinations.ie and have a closer look at the disability policy.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,234 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

The bottom line is that a lot of the Reasonable Accommodations arrangements costs them more, so we know what will happen there.
    Like the SNAs in schools, people who 'qualified' for them last year, now suddenly don't.
    It's Lourdes without the flights.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,009 ✭✭✭✭wnolan1992

Superbus wrote: »
    I wouldn't say you'd allowed use your own laptop, it'd be provided if needed.

I used my own.... just had to prove there was nothing on the hard-drive that could give me an advantage. (notes etc.)
    Not trying to start an agrument at all just trying to find an answer and I did get a spelling waiver exemption for the JC and I'm pretty sure I'll be getting it for LC so I'm going to have a look at examinations.ie and have a closer look at the disability policy.

I don't really see why you'd need to use a laptop. Usually they're reserved for people who have difficulty writing, making handwriting clearly legible and such.(visual impairments, dyslexia).
    Reckon just go for the spelling waiver and you should be fine.

If you wrote your JC and had no major difficulties then you should be grand.
    Also, if you want to pursue this, make sure your typing is up to standar. I'm talking proper full speed >30 words per minute or you'll be putting yourself at a major disadvantage.

Well if you had the spelling waiver for JC there's a good chance you'll get it for LC but don't get your hopes up on the laptop as it's not a requirement for someone for dyslexia to get one so you would have even less chance

• Registered Users Posts: 2,218 ✭✭✭padocon

Doesn't the school decide if you get one for the J.C. and the department for the Leaving Cert. So it's possible to get one for the LC and not the JC.

padocon wrote: »
    Doesn't the school decide if you get one for the J.C. and the department for the Leaving Cert. So it's possible to get one for the LC and not the JC.

No, the Reasonable accommodations section of the SEC decides for both, on the basis of a report supplied to the school by an educational psychologist.

Well if you had the spelling waiver for JC there's a good chance you'll get it for LC but don't get your hopes up on the laptop as it's not a requirement for someone for dyslexia to get one so you would have even less chance
    Aye I won't be just fighting like mad to get it and if I don't get it I don't get it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,218 ✭✭✭padocon

spurious wrote: »
    No, the Reasonable accommodations section of the SEC decides for both, on the basis of a report supplied to the school by an educational psychologist.

I thought it was the school that decide biased on the report from the psychologist for the Junior Cert.

padocon wrote: »
    I thought it was the school that decide biased on the report from the psychologist for the Junior Cert.

No it's the SEC, because they are paying for all these extra examiners. If the school could decide half the students in the country would get special centres and the SEC wouldn't have any proof why and they would be footing the bill.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,659 ✭✭✭unknown13

Even if you were allowed to use it in exams, you couldn't use your own one because you would have files on it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 108 ✭✭gruffler91

unknown13 wrote: »
    Even if you were allowed to use it in exams, you couldn't use your own one because you would have files on it.

I used my own in June 2011 for the LC. I obviously had no files on it as I was warned to clear it but this was never checked. Having files on the laptop is irrelevant anyway due to having an invigilator sitting beside you in the separate centre as you do your exams.

unknown13 wrote: »

I used my own in 2010 for the LC. You're told to clear any files you have off of it, because if an inspector comes to the school, it is a guarantee that they'll check this. That said, I was never checked, but there was a teacher sitting right beside me all the time. (Though, I did have that teacher for five years, so I'm sure if I'd asked nicely she'd have let me do a quick peek at some notes. :pac: )

• Registered Users Posts: 12,666 ✭✭✭✭AdamD

You can get exemptions due to bad hand writing? :o

Somebody should have told me that :(

AdamD wrote: »
    You can get exemptions due to bad hand writing? :o

Only if you have a legitimate reason I think.

Not just for bad handwriting, it's bad handwriting caused by a physical ailment (deformed hand or similar), or as a result of an educational disability.

Even then, the exemption is not always granted.

Advertisement